Orb audio vs rosa lcr

Username: Klove

PA USA

Post Number: 1
My room is 11' by 18'. I have a Denon AVR1705. I am looking at the 2.1 Orb Audio Mod 2 with Super 8 or 2.1 Rosa LCR with Tom sub. Lessoning to about 50/50 movies, music. The music is classic rock anything from James Taylor to Led Zeppelin to Chicago. Pros and cons.

Anonymous

Neither?

I would go for a pair of Ascend 170's and a sub from HSU in that price bracket. Between the two choices you selected I suppose I would go with the Rosa/Tom system.

FloridaSun
Unregistered guest
My vote goes to Orb. They are my favorite purchase and the 2.1 system packs an amazing punch that you would never believe unless you heard it. 30 day home trial, too.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 658
It's hard to ask a question like that when nobody here has heard the Rosa and Tom combination. Let me point out a couple of things.
The Rosa LCR is a d'Appolito configured two way speaker that uses two high performance 4.5" mid-woofers and a 1" soft dome tweeter with extended high frequency response in a dual ported cabinet. The crossover is a high order unit that crosses around 5kHz. There is very little IM distortion and/or phase variation between the drivers. Also, at 5kHz the horizontal dispersion is maintained so you get a nice wide soundstage and sweet spot with exceptional depth and presence. By themselves the Rosa can play into the 50Hz range +/-3db.
The Tom subwoofer uses a 10" high excursion, high performance dual voice coil driver in a sealed cabinet. This particular driver can easily keep up with 12" subs when considering the swept volume area. It has over 1.5" peak to peak excursion yet only 1% distortion. You get powerful yet musical bass.
When using a subwoofer with satellites it's generally preferred to use the subwoofer ONLY for the lowest frequencies and if done correctly you should be fooled into believing the satellites are producing ALL of the sound. This can only be accomplished by crossing over to the sub at a low point, say 80Hz or lower. This is very difficult to do with very small satellites.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 496
Tim is right. You are only going to get so much out of a satellite speaker. However if size of the speakers or price is an issue you may also want to look at at Aperion's 422-LR speakers (www.aperionaudio.com). I bought 2 for my bedroom set paired it up with a Boston subwoofer that I had from before and I have been pretty happy with the set.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 707
The Rosas will give you a much broader range and if you don't like them, which I doubt, Tim will treat you right. What more can you ask?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us