Connection between Marantz and JM lab sub SW 700, please help

Username: Phucsafi

Post Number: 8
Sorry as my question should be left in Sub-woofer thread but I think alots of expert here to help me as it is related to both receiver and Sub.

1.I am using the JM lab SW 700 sub. The sub has both line in (two RCAs) and sub in (one RCA for 5.1). My 7300 has pre-out for 7.1

2. Normally, I connect the sub-woofer out from receiver to the 5.1 of the sub. Unlike my previous Denon who let you control the sub for all stereo and surround mode, my new Marantz 7300 by default only allow the sub in Dolby digital and DTS 5.1 that's why I can not have the sub operated during stereo and stereo sourse direct and other format.

3. Yesterday, I try both sub-woofer out ------> 5.1 in put and two L & R pre-out -------> RCA L & R in put to the sub and I have sub operated in all mode.

4. I would like to put some questions here:

4.1 When in 5.1, what connection will be forced into operation? 5.1 in put or RCA in put? and does it effect to quality of LFE channel if the line in put is operated?

4.2. Is there any harm to the sub if both in put are operated. Eg in Dolby Digital or DTS, the receiver will out put the signal by both Sub-woofer out and line out R & L channel.

Please help to clarify.

Phuc

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 219
Phuc

Try just using one of the 2 rca inputs on your sub. Doesn't matter which.

With CD 2 channel stereo selected the sub should work but not on source direct.

I don't quite understand (4.2) but use only one input on your sub from the sub pre-out on your receiver.

Username: Phucsafi

Post Number: 10
My Rantz,

I meant the sub has 03 RCA in put. One RCA for for 5.1 (LFE channel) in put and two RCAs for line in put. When I connected the line in from L & R channel from receiver pre-out, It sound for all kind format but I think it is not the LFE channel in 5.1 DTS or DD that's why I connect both line in put and sub in put. My 4.2 is what is priority if both are connected in 5.1 in put.

You are correct the sub is work only in stereo mode. It is very strange that the 7300 manual said no sub in stereo but it does in fact.

Do 7300 has break in time as I found it sounds drier than my 1803 now?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 221
I don't understand why you connect the L& R receiver pre-out to the sub. You should only connect the sw pre-out to the sub?

You can set the sub to play or not in stereo by your speaker and surround settings.

Username: Shamoobian

Toronto, On

Post Number: 2
Hey,

I just bought the Sr 7400 and found that if I set my front and centre channels to small and make sure that the Bass Mix is set to both, the sub out works for all modes except direct. The idea behind direct is to ensure that the signal is not processed and passed straight through with amplification only, sending frequencies out to a sub would involve some level of filtering. Also, if you change the centre channel to large, SW output is slightly reduced, setting the fronts to large completely reduces sub output for any 2 channel digital or analog sources. x.1 channel sources will still be output to sub regardless of the settings..and this seems to be true in practice.

Hope this helps!

Anonymous

Phuc,
BooBooo is correct. In addition, I would have suggested that you just purchased Denon's latest model the AVR3805 instead of the Marantz. It allows you to keep your mains as 'LARGE' and still direct low signals to your sub. It also allows you to control the sub levels for both 5.1 and 2 channel listening. Marantz has a much softer/warmer feel. That may be a trade-off you're willing to accept.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us