Brahma 15" ported low in home?

Silver Member
Username: Mike_anthes

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 313
hey guys i have decided to put my adire audio brahma 15" in my house...i tryed it for fun running off of my cheap aiwa reciever and was quite pleased...ik this isn't the smartest thing to do but i was curious to how it would respond in the home...well considering i was only giving the thing about 20 watts rms i was VERY surprised i made some of my moms plates upstairs shake...even when the reciever cut off at 55htz...so heres my question...how big of a box do u think i would need to get addequate low frequency extension from this driver...and what should i tune it too...box size is unlimited (within reason...haha)...going to give the sub a clean 500 watts...open to any ideas...thanks...

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6748

Send Adire an email. They are very responsive to customer inquiries. Their web site also has a forum you might browse.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 654
You need to define "adequate low frequency extension".
In a vented box you can easily hit 20Hz with that driver. The downside is a very high group delay. If it were me I would put it into a sealed box. It'll still easily break into the 30's but with much better power handling and a "tighter" sound. I run a 15" Tempest in a sealed box and it kicks hard. The Brahma will do even better.

Silver Member

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 314
alright thanks guys

Silver Member

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 316
adire recommended 7ft cubed to 16 htz...

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6769

Yikes!!!

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 541
Imagine THAT birdbath!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 659
I kinda doubt they had a vented enclosure in mind when they developed that driver although it will certainly work well in one. The goal was the high end car audio market, especially the SPL drag racers. High power handling, huge excursion and ear bleeding SPL from a sealed box would be the primary goal for such a driver. The side benefit is a high quality driver that operates well within it's limits when used in a more normal situation.
I've seen Brahmas blow doors apart and bubble roofs. It's a monster.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6780

Yikes!!!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 661
My 15" Tempest is in an 8 cu. ft. sealed box so a 7 cu. ft. box doesn't surprise me at all. It sounds like a lot but it's actually 20 x 18 x 40. Not a bad size really. Make sure you have LOTS of bracing.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6785

I haven't looked at the TS parameters; but, if I remember correctly, that was one of the drivers Adire suggested to me when I was inquiring about an infinite baffle installation. Does that sound right, Tim?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 662
Sure. High Vas, high mechanical and electrical compliance and a very low Fs. Should work great in an IB.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6789

http://white.hometheatertalk.com/tips/ib.htm

Unregistered guest
Dear folks
I own a YAMAHA/ BOSE combination A/V receive syatem for the last one year. It is 7.1 system. Though I am satisfied with the overall performance of the system, I wish if the minute sound were better heard out of the speakers. Can u please guide me out of your experence, to achieve this for me? BOSE Acoustimass 10 series II, passive woofer.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us