Can I wire my "B" speakers as rear surrounds without damage?

Username: Rich75

Post Number: 2
I would like to have one pair of speakers double as both the rear surround speakers and the B speakers, so that when using surround sound, they would be the rear channel, and when listening to 2.0 stereo, they would be turned on or off with the B switch on the receiver.

I have a Technics SA-DX940 receiver. It's 5.1, with A/B front speaker selectors. In stereo mode, both A and B can be run at once; in surround sound mode, B cannot be run. Speakers are Infinity Beta 50s (with the Beta 250 center, no sub).

I could accomplish this by running two sets of cables from the receiver, one from the B outputs and one from the rear channel outputs, or by running one set of cables and jumping the B outputs to the rear channel outputs. I would effectively be creating a loop between the B and rear channel outputs, and I'm concerned that this might damage the receiver, or that it would degrade the quality of the sound.

Will this damage anything? Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6741

It is very likely you will damage the receiver should you try to make this connection.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/178348.html

The only safe way to do this is to physically disconnect the speakers and reconnect them each time you wish to reconfigure the system. Even that presents some risks should you get careless in your wiring.

Username: Rich75

Post Number: 3
Jan, thanks for the post. You and I have the same expectation.

Posts from other folks, particularly anyone who's actually tried this, will still be appreciated.

Thanks to all.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6765

I would hope no one has actually tried this. But, post away if you have.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 532
Quite some time ago, I did.
But the leads from the AB switch were removed, and the B position fed power to the normally closed contacts of a solid state relay, other outs to the normally open side.
When switched to B position, the relay pulls, and routes the signal along the right path.
Even a failed relay was foolproof.

Well, you asked.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6768

And here I though a three pole, triple throw switch was more than I should suggest. You're not related to Rube Goldberg; are you, Nuck?

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 540
The ssr was cleaner, and freely available.

Me an' good ol' Uncle Rube. Ahh the days of wine and rivets.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us