HELP! tag mclaren/NAD/wharfedale/denon setup

Username: Gajiemo

AberdeenScotland

Post Number: 1
Hi there, I've just ordered all the parts for my first Hi-Fi ( NAD C320BEE, Tag McLaren 60iRv, Denon DCM 280 and Wharfedale EVO 20 speakers). I was thinking of horizontally passive bi-amping the system but i'm unsure of how to do it (which amplifier to use for the woofers and which for the tweeter?). I was wondering if you could shed any light on the subject (is it even possible)? PS. could you please give me a discription of how to wire it up, i would really appreciate any input.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6732

First, tell me why you are considering bi-amping if you do not understand the implications of bi-amping. You can run a vertical or horizontal bi-amp configuration. Or, you can simply run monoblocks into each speaker. All have advantages and disadvantages. How did you come to settle on horizontal bi-amping if you don't know what is being accomplished in this configuration? I ask because knowing how the system is connected will normally tell you what the advantages to any one hook up will get you.

Or, have I misread your question.

AberdeenScotland

Post Number: 2
i was informed that running tweeters with one amp and woofers with another would give a better sound (no cross talk between highs and lows). i thought about horizontal bi-amping as i was told you need two identical amps to vertically bi-amp. the tag mclaren amp i recieved is cosmeticaly damaged so i'm returning it.
this is my first attemp at creating a hi-fi system should i stick with what i've got or get another amp?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6744

While there are advantages to bi-amping a system, which route you take (horizontal or vertical) can change the results dramatically in some instances. My feeling would be to get a base line performance from the system before changing the system. After you've played around with the system to get the best set up possible, then you might want to explore bi-amping.

http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm

AberdeenScotland

Post Number: 3
Thanks very much for your input Jan. much appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1062
Gary

TAG McLaren sold out to IAG a couple of years ago. Is this new old stock? FWIW, I think you'll get better results from the TMA amp on its own than adding a C320BEE into the mix. The TMA power section is a lot cleaner and more transparent than that of the C320BEE.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us