Upgrading Yamaha HTR5540 please advice!!!

Manny
Unregistered guest
I'm thinking of upgrading my receiver Yamaha HTR5540. My current system consist of Klipsch Reference Series 35 with a Klipsch RSW10 subwoofer. Budget no more than 1K.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 290
Manny,

While they are very good, Klipsch speakers tend to sound a little bright. Therefore, they will sound best when paired with a warmer sounding receiver. Try Harman Kardon, Pioneer Elite, Marantz, and NAD. They all have some models under $1000.

By the way, what are your thoughts of your old Yamaha paired with the Klipsch? Those older Yamaha modles sound increadibly bright and harsh in my mind. Paired with Klipsch, I would think the sound would be unbearable...what did you think of it?

Anonymous

i am currently looking at purchasing either the yamaha rxv 3300 or the 1400. here is the catch i can get them both for the sme price. which one?
thanks
-k

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 301
Anon,

Either you are getting a VERY good deal on the 3300, or are getting a really crappy deal on the 1400, because the retail price of the 3300 is almost double that of the 1400.

I have never listened to the 3300, but I have listened to some of the other Yamaha's of the same generation, and these older models to me sounded increadibly bright, almost shrill. However, with this newer line that includes the RX-V1400 and 2400, some of that brightness has been tamed. Paired with the right speakers, I would definately choose the 1400 over the 3300.

What speakers do you have?

kent
Unregistered guest
its a really good deal on the 3300.
as far as speakers i am putting together a set of polks which include a set of rt35i and a center csi30. believe it or not for my main i have an old set of hed floor speakers which will be replaced - no sub woofer as of yet.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 375
I agree with Johnny. Klipsch and Yamaha together is a very bad idea, even the improved 2400 with Klipsch would be much to thin sounding for my ears. The brands Johnny mentioned are much better matches IMO.

f. kent
Unregistered guest
manny-
sorry about posting up on you/new at this
my mistake

-k

Manny
Unregistered guest
Thank you for the response guys! I thought my message was erased.
Johnny,
I don't know if I'm being naive but for me it doesn't sound that awful, or maybe I just don't really know the difference since I'm new with this. Couple of questions though, what wattage per channel do you think should I get? I normally use my system for DVD movies, Music and Karaoke. And are there any other features that should look for?
F.Kent,
No problem I'm also new likewise.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us