Never heard of nad before this board

Bronze Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 43
how would one of their recievers compare to the denon ar3806?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6710

Physically, they are about the same size. Typically, they are different colors, however.

Unregistered guest
I think we all know that you know that we all know you know more than that.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6711

That may well be.

However ...

I don't know any more now than anyone else now knows about what I, and we, would need to know before I, and we, could know I, and we, had given an answer based upon what I, and we, know to be well known considering what I, and we, now know and now do not know and what I, and we, now know I, and we, do not now know.

At least, for now.

I, and we, might know more later.

But, I, and we, don't know it now.

No?

What would be nice is if someone who knows what I, and we, would need to know would ask if I, and we, could know it now.

Now ... would be nice.

No?

Unregistered guest
Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Bronze Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 47
if i knew now what i didn't know then, i wouldn't have asked the question.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2310
NAD's are sonically superior to the mass market brands like Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, HK, and Pioneer. Unfortunately they come with a few warts. They usually have an audible hiss and hum through the analog board. They've tried to improve and have to a certain extent but it was too much for me so I opted to change horses. Honestly no AVR short of an Arcam or B&K will deliver the goods for music so I would choose the one with a feature set and sound you can live with.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3068
Bill,

btw the vast majority of QA issues with NAD gear have come from their AV receivers not their 2-channel equipment.

I have some NAD 2-channel separates and have not experienced any inordinate "hiss and hum" beyond what is fairly normal with any *analog* gear in this price range and under.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 486
Art how do you put Marantz in the "mass market" group like the rest of those brands. I don't know about the rest of the country, but There is only one store in Chicago that actually carries Marantz.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2319
Marantz and Denon can be had in a whole lot more stores here than Yamaha RX-V series receivers. I would not buy any receiver at BB and CC so I don't consider them in the mix. I really meant that relative to sound quality, build quality and exclusivity they are similar. HK and Pioneer can be had in the most stores here. Then would come the Yamaha HTR series followed by Denon and Marantz. The most exclusive of the bunch would be the upper end Yamaha's and Integra's. I can buy Marantz at a half a dozen or more stores within an hours drive of my house I can only buy the upper end Yamaha at one.

Anonymous

Upper end Yamaha

Talk about about an oxymoron!

Bronze Member
Username: Konoyaro

San Francisco, CA United States

Post Number: 25
Bill, if you'd like to sample one of many threads on this general topic you might start here:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/38081.html

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2324
I owned the NAD T763 and believe me the "upper end" Yamaha can perform on a par with it for most applications.

Silver Member
Username: Smitty

Post Number: 255
Art, when you say "upper end" Yamaha does that begin at the RX-V2600, RX-V4600 or RX-Z9?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2325
Yeah, those really are the upper end Yamaha's. But relative to how difficult they are to find I meant all of the RX-V series and up.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 495
The upper end of most of these brands are hard to get. I doubt any of the Marantz dealers will carry their Reference series which start at $1800 for a turntable. They are just too expensive to keep in inventory.

Silver Member
Username: Smitty

Post Number: 261

quote:

I owned the NAD T763 and believe me the "upper end" Yamaha can perform on a par with it for most applications.

Art, I'm just curious if you would consider something like the Yamaha RX-V2500 to be on a par with the NAD T763 for CD/DVD-A/SACD with relatively efficient speakers (95db fronts, 93db center, 91dB surrounds) ... or by applications did you mean HT? Would you consider the RX-V2500 to be in the same "sonic league" as say the HK AVR435/635 or a step above? I see the RX-V2500 did get a very good review over on audioholics:
Yamaha RX-V2500 Review

In my neck of the woods the HK AVR435/Yamaha RX-V2500/NAD T743 are all around the same price, the NAD T763 is double the price. I figured the NAD would be the best for music, Yamaha best for HT and the HK would be somewhere in between.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us