Driving capability

ererererererer
Unregistered guest
Reading then Dynaudio topic the following doubt arosed on me

I have BW N805 with a Nad C320BEE, I know it is a small and lower quality amp for those speakers and i will upgrade eventually

I know i will get more from the speakers with a better more powerfull amp but would the
C320 bee sound better with a lower quality speaker and easier to drive such as a BW 602?

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6696

Without looking at the specifics of the two speakers to determine what difficulties each might pose for the NAD, I would tell you, no, the NAD will "sound" just the same through either speaker. That said, there are several considerations before you go off to buy the 602's and place the 805's in temporary storage.

By placing a very revealing loudspeaker behind a good, but not great, amplifier, you have asked the loudspeaker to let pass any deficiencies in the signal path ahead of it. Wherever the NAD, and the components in front of the NAD, falter in comparison to top flight components, the 805's will reveal those problems. Whether it is a coarsening of textures, a dulling of high frequencies or a diminishment of three dimensionality, the 805's job is to let pass exactly what it is fed. If the areas where the system is weakest are not areas of great concern to you, then there may be little perceptible difference between the NAD driving the better speaker and the less revealing speaker. And, certainly it would make no sense to consider buying the 602's when the money could probably be put to better use on the front of the system.

Whether the match between the 805's/602's and the NAD would be better electrically can be guessed at by looking at the specifications for the two speaker systems and deciding whether the 602 might show a more evenly balanced load to the NAD. Even with that information in hand, it is the individual pieces of the speaker which will finally determine how difficult it will be to drive. A nominal 8 Ohm speaker with more Xo components will typically present a more difficult load to an amplifier compared to a nominal 4 Ohm speaker with a simple Xo and very little impedance swing or phase shift. The demands the speaker places on the amplifier for delivery of current and/or voltage will affect how the amplifier "sounds" through any given speaker.

Bronze Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 12
The B&W's are usually 8 ohm impedence but can drop to 3 ohms. The 805's recommended power handling is, I think, 50 - 120 watts and the 602's are 25 - 120 watts. B&W's do like power and without taking from Jan's comments on sound differences the Nad C320BEE may have limitations driving the 805's. Even the 602's like a bit of grunt before they begin to strut their stuff.

erererererer
Unregistered guest
I understand that, but does that mean that an easier driving speaker even if it is lower quality would sound better with the C320 than the N805???
To put it on an easy example what would sound "better" for you the C320 !BEE with Diamonds 9.1 or with the N805?

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 15
What sounds better only you can decide as we all have different listening tastes. I would think, and I'm no expert, that the 805's would only be thinking about doing what they do so well when your amp is near maximum output. Try taking your amp to a few audio shops when they have a quiet moment and see what speakers work for you. Maybe a power amp to drive the 805's might be a solution.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6702

Is this a hypothetical question? Or, are you really considering buying new speakers to go with your NAD? How did you come by this combination of low priced amp and high priced speakers?

erererererer
Unregistered guest
I had the nad plus kef q15. I upgraded the speakers firdt and will upgrade the amp next year but in the mean time i got the feeling i did not get any improvement in sound with the speakers upgrade

I like the 805 sound since i have heard it with bryston and krell many times my plan is to upgrade to a kav400

So my doubt is if it is possible that i actualy fowngraded the sound with the more expensive speakers?
Thanks a lot

Thanks

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6706

As Judy Tenuta says, "It could happen!"

erererere
Unregistered guest
It is clear to mr know i need to upgrade electronics fast now

Thanks to all
« Previous Thread Next Thread »