Turntable positioning - a newbie question

Username: Mongoose

Post Number: 1
Hi all,

I am trying to set up a turntable that has been collecting dust for a while and I have rather limited space to work with. In fact, so far the only place I see where a turntable can go is a top of a speaker! Moreover, in order to be able to place it there I'd need to unscrew the turntable's legs. Is this just crazy because of vibration problems or should I give it a try? I do not listen to music very loudly, and the only LPs I'll ever put on are classical, if that matters at all. Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6684

You are certainly free to place your table anywhere you wish. However, it would seem apparent that you already know the surrender to illogicality you will be making by utilizing a loudspeaker as a turntable stand.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1054
Tat

Not a good idea. The speaker is the most resonant of all hifi components typically so the chances for feedack through the turntable, poor tracking due to the stylus being shaken off its course, etc are high. Bad idea.

It'd even be better on the floor probably...

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6692

A wall mounted shelf would be a good option. There are several available from various manufacturers. If this can work aesthetically for you, a wall mounted turntable support can offer superior performance to most floor mounted units. Just make certain you are attaching the shelf to the wall studs or using the proper wall anchors to hold the shelf in place.

Username: Mongoose

Post Number: 2
Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I guess for now I'll do some rearrangement of the living room furniture to make some space. Unfortunately, a wall-mounted shelf is probably not an option since this is a rented apartment I live in and installing a shelf like that would have some impact on the appearance of the wall...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us