http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=1455

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3034
There's actually more:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=1456

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=1457

If their claims are true, that these speakers now boast an extra 10Hz of bass extension plus have an even FLATTER tweeter...OMG!

Bronze Member
Username: Patrickbateman

MA

Post Number: 12
Edster,
I hope they have enought inventory to cover all of us!!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3035
yep, apparently their business has really taken off in the past year, I've heard they just recently moved into a much bigger place.

The thing is, Hsu will be coming out with a drastically improved line of "high output" subs too at just about the same time...double whammy!

Bronze Member
Username: Patrickbateman

MA

Post Number: 13
Yes they have recently moved.
2006, SOUNDS like a great year ahead

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2294
So Eddie are you sending yours in for a retrofit.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 111
Cool.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3038
I'm very tempted, Art---except that for the 340s they're not only upgrading the drivers but apparently they'll be using a slightly bigger cabinet too, with a differently tuned port!

The thing that worries me is whether adding the extra 10Hz of bass extension is going to entail any other compromises at different points of the FR.

I'm sure I'd be happier just buying a decent subwoofer like a Hsu STF-2, especially since it looks like I will probably be moving in the next few months to a smaller place with a smaller listening space.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2296
The Hsu is probably the better move.

Bronze Member
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 76
"The thing that worries me is whether adding the extra 10Hz of bass extension is going to entail any other compromises at different points of the FR."

No it won't. To do so would go against Dave F's beliefs. He could have had the 170s go lower for years now but it would have been at the cost mid-range clarity. It is a new driver not a re-tuning of the old driver. If you look at the Ascend website it is now a Polygel driver instead of Aerogel.

Does SE stand for Seas edition instead of special edition?

Silver Member

Post Number: 141
A SEAS driver would be a potential winner no doubt.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3086
Quinn,

no I wrote the PORT will be tuned differently. You're right about the drivers being totally new.

SE stands for Signature Edition I think.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
I still stand by Dave wouldn't change his design beliefs.

If he wanted it have have deep bass, for a bookshelf, it would be easy to take the 170 around 40hz but it would be a trade off in the mids. He did post that the new design could be run full range w/o detriment to SQ which was not the case with the Aerogel drivers.

Okay, I re-read. You're talking the 340 and I'm talking the 170. As I read it, the only change is the front baffle for the new tweeter and a different port tube but no diffence in cabinet size.

"The 340 SE tweeter is slightly larger and due to the lower port tune, the cabinet on the 340 has changed (just the tweeter cutout and the port tube)." Dave Fabrikant http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showpost.php?p=13110&postcount=19

Gold Member

Post Number: 3099
> He did post that the new design could be run full range w/o detriment to SQ which was not the case with the Aerogel drivers.

I think that was in reference to the 340 SE. Don't think the 170 SE would be full-range capable, that would take a miracle of physics.

I'm already running my original 340s full-range with the Panny, it handles the tight precise digital bass wonderfully. The NAD's thudding analog bass was a bit too much for it though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
It isn't going to reproduce full range, nor is the 340, but I think it is the same in that the new drivers will not be effected in SQ running full range.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 704
Hey All,

Depending on the cost and what I've got left after the Altec's are reconed and I've purchased the tube amp, I may send the 170s back in pairs for retrofitting. Sounds very interesting but I will email Dave and see what we're talking about. Very interesting!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 149
David just announced the drivers are from SEAS and are proprietary. Could be a major improvement. Good call Quinn.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us