Optical audio inputs/Denon Receiver

Username: Maxtrane

Post Number: 1
I have a Denon AVR4800 and it has 5 separate optical audio inputs. I'm having trouble getting audio from a Dvd player. I've tried 2 sets of optical cables. I have gone through the denon on screen menu and have corrrectly choosen the digital audio assignment. in fact, i've tried all 5 inputs. i've tried another dvd player as well with the same results. Is there another step that i'm missing? i've been through the Panasonic DVD setup menu as well as the denon menu several times.

Bronze Member
Username: Paul98

Post Number: 87
You will most likely need to set the input that you want to accept digital input. You are also going to have to assign the digital input to corrispond to the correct option. I don't have that receiver but those are a couple things to look at.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your input. I have correctlty assigned the digital input using the denon on screen menu. I have had success assigning the coax input for my cable box and i'm getting digital audio for that. I guess its possible both optical cables are bad.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 478
Try hooking it up with the normal RCA pair. If you are get sound from it, then you are missing the setup either on the Denon side or the Panny side.

Post Number: 3
Yeah, i tried that and i do get audio with the rca cables. I called and spoke to someone at denon and they said that maybe the optical inputs are bad. They suggested a shutdown of the Receiver and a re-boot to factory setting to see if that might help. The coax dig inputs do work and i would just that, but my Panasonic DVD does not have a coax output. Crazy in this day and age.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 115
Not really. Its more expensive to put a coax output jack in than a digital output jack. So it makes perfect sense in this day and age.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us