Alternatives to spiking

Anonymous

I was just wondering if there were any real alternatives to putting spikes on a speaker to couple it well to a carpeted floor. I don't really want to put a gaping hole in our carpeting...

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6655

The spike will not leave "gaping" holes since the tip of the spike is small enough to push between the fibers of the carpet.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/176445.html

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1027
What Jan says is true. In fact, a 'proper' foot is more destructive since it crushes the carpet pile under the weight of the speaker. Crushed pile is difficult to un-crush. On the other hand, the spike threads through the pile and causes a small hole. A stiff brush will quickly cover the small hole (less than 1cm diameter typically).

That said, if you have spikes and would still rather not have them going through your carpet, then you can simply place the spikes on coins, such as pennies, for an instant foot.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Fps_dean

Williamstown, MA USA

Post Number: 136
Alternatives to spiking? Drink it straight!

Seriously, as Jan said if you have a carpet, dont worry. If you don't, put something under the spikes like a small carpet cut out to size.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 484
Or a pence, as Frank says.
And he says it like in the colonies, too!

davidpa
Unregistered guest
since I am a carpet installer I have to add this....When we install carpets, we have a tool called a stinger, and its used for stretching the carpet, it puts holes in the carpet without damaging it or losing mnfctr warranty, we also have to stay carpet off sometimes to match seams, or stretch all but certain areas, in those cases we use nails, so dont worry about the holes they can be brushed away with a screwdriver. If it is berber or wool cpt be sure to seperate the loops before setting spikes so as not to rip a loop. Also if you guys are interested as far as crushing goes, use a iron with a damp towel to get crushing to dissapear! Tricks of a 17 year career, hope they help. Dave

Anonymous

Thanks Dave. It is a relatively thin berber carpet, which was part of my concern.

davidpa
Unregistered guest
Just set spike between loops and you should be fine. As long as spikes arent ribbed at all, which Ive never seen, but I suppose its possible. Good luck! Dave

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1051
An iron with a damp towel? Whatever am I going to learn next on a HiFi forum???

Cheers Dave!

Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us