HDMI Out on Panny XR70

Username: Aaragon

Fort Belvoir, Va

Post Number: 6
Im having problems getting my HDMI out to work on my Panny XR70. The setup seems pretty self explanitory- HDMI out on the Panny to HDMI in on my HP 5000L ( a Panny 500u in disguise) 50" HD Plasma, but when I select "HDMI" input on the HP there is no picture. Do I need to change a setting within the Panny or...? Basically Im trying to get my Panny to act as the "traffic cop" for the whole audio/video system- much like my Denon did but maybe its not possible.

Thanks,
Ed

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 750
It is unlikely that the Panasonic outputs HDMI and analog at the same time. You must enable HDMI out.

Fort Belvoir, Va

Post Number: 7
The only HDMI related setting that i can find in any of the Panasonic menus deals with HDMI in, not out. Guess Ill keep looking. THanks for the reply.

Ed

Fort Belvoir, Va

Post Number: 8
So I called Panasonic about this issue and it turns out that the only way to get HDMI out is to have an HDMI input source, essentially, its just a "pass through" circuit. I guess i was expecting a bit more but hey, its still a great receiver for only 300.00 bucks.

Aaragon

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2991
Ed,

other than the HDMI issue, how do you like the Panny's SQ compared to your old Denon? (which model was it, btw?)

Fort Belvoir, Va

Post Number: 9
Well, im not sure its a fair comparison. My Denon was 10yrs old (AVR-2000) so things have changed alot since then. I was very impressed with the Panny however. Crystal clear sound with both music and movies and the 6.1 decoder seems to work flawlessly. Its actually a really good investment for me because Im not into all the "bells and whistles" of the more expensive Denons, HK's and Onkyos. In fact, based soley on SQ I'll stick with digital amps. Not to mention that the Panny only weighs about 10lbs and is half the size of my old Denon. Im very happy with choosing the Panny... all-in-all its a great receiver...except for its HDMI shortfall ;)

Ed

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 431
I may try the Panasonic xr-55.
I know Edster figgurs a week or so to run the unit in, Ed how, did you do it?
Or, how much volune, or 'on' time do you all figgur it needs?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2269
I gave it a thorough listen at a dealer where it could be compared to others and using various speakers. Yikes! It had an unnatural timbral balance and voices were so bad as to be unrecognizable as the singers that they were supposed to be. Having listened to it twice and given it a lengthy audition once I would say it ain't a good deal at any price. Just my opinion BTW. I'm not anti digital for the sake of it in fact I just recommended on this forum that someone give the new Rotel digital amp a listen. I've heard the expensive Yamaha and it wasn't bad it was just a bit cool for my tastes.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3003
EF,

yep, "crystal clear" is a very consistent description of the Panny that I always read on forums like this. The other usual description is "silky smoooth."

What's the rest of your system consist of?

Fort Belvoir, Va

Post Number: 10
Edster'

The rest of my system probably pales in comparrison to other members of the forum but it works for me:

Infinity Primus 360 Fronts
Infinity C25 Center
Infinity PS10 - Sub
Infinity Primus 150 Rears
Infinity OWS-1 - for the rear "center"

JVC XV-S60 DVD Player
Denon DCM-340 CD Player

Oh, and a 50 in Panny Plasma TV ;)

Ed

Gold Member

Post Number: 3009
That's not a bad system, I have Infinitys in my car and have been pretty happy with them. Do you have the 360s set on "large" or "small?" I used to have my mains set on "small" but with the Panny I have switched them over to "large" and they sound great because this receiver's bass is so tight and precise.

I think the main weakness in your system is probably the subwoofer, like it is in mine.

Bronze Member

Fort Belvoir, Va

Post Number: 11
Yep, I have my "mains" set on large as well.... for that exact same reason. I was going to try and get a HSU STF-2 Sub but they didnt have any B-stock units available and I couldnt swing the 400.00 they wanted so I grabbed the PS10 for 200.00.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3021
> I know Edster figgurs a week or so to run the unit in, Ed how, did you do it?
Or, how much volune, or 'on' time do you all figgur it needs?

I just left it tuned to a pop/rock FM station all day while I was at work at moderate volumes, for about 3 days straight.

Don't think it really needs high volumes for break-in.

Johnneedshelp
Unregistered guest
Can anyone help me. I have a panasonic plama with cable card. I connected the panny to the XR 70 receiver via fiber optic. This works except for the digital channels on Comcast's digital classic tier. It comes on for a second - then cuts out. Comcast says its not a problem on their end

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 535
only expensive (read $1000) recievers do signal conversion eg. RCA in to S-video out. yes, you were expecting too much from your SA-XR70, but if you get an HD-DVD player down the road, you'll really appreciate 24/88 multichannel audio into your panny and passing the video to your TV.

golly, art really does seem to be a panny hater. i don't hear anything he seems to be hearing out of my SA-XR55 which i didn't even buy for sonics, but to be able to handle maggie MMG 4 ohm loads.

it IMMEDIATELY made the hair stand up on the back of my neck on the very first track i played. i heard alot more detail in the instruments, but when the female vocals came on... (badi assad i think) something about wood. LOL

it spanked both my crappy NAD and my fair onkyo so thoroghly top to bottom that i no longer feel the need to get MMGs anymore.

i love my SA-XR55 for the following reasons

treble speed and detail
deep tight bass (compared to onkyo for sure)
images that can extend past the speakers (never before)
wide center image with great specificity
nice dynamic jump
total lack of grain, even right next to tweeters
and
especially the "overused cliche" midrange that makes female vocals so sexy.

tons of detail and tons of ease aren't always mutually exclusive. i'm so used to my unit now that i no longer even notice it anymore. i only know that i finally have enough low level resolution that i no longer have to swear at DVDs with big explosions and low level dialogue when watching them late at night.

"oh... so THAT'S what he said!"

i bet the thought that someone's cheap gear might be capable of embarrasing their expensive gear gives the "stereophile crowd" nightmares.

i'm sure porsche owners hate those kids with their souped up volkswagons that leave them in the dust at stoplights too. LOL i know that i REALLY frosted a leadfoot vette owner whot hit the stoplight at 80 mph when i used my 5 MPH roll in at a stop light to dust him with my little three cylinder daihatsu. i think he still has the imprint of his gas pedal on the bottom of his foot from that day.

ego deflation is so much fun.

i've seen several forum people go on full scale ballistic attacks against cheap gear while bragging about the superiority of theirs. in fact, i read an hysterical breakdown of the reasons why in another forum that had me falling out my chair laughing as it hit so close to home.

i'm budget minded...
i get no respect.

LOL

long live bang for the buck systems!

thank you infinity for opening my eyes and ears around 1985 with those neat little $120 4 1/2" acoustic suspension two ways with the *gasp* grey styrofoam tweeters that imaged circles around the big $1500 units in stores.

thanks for showing me that less is more and that little speakers make big images and move much faster than big bloated slow-mo woofers.

thanks for the chance to hear the virtues of airsprung woofers before you sold out and jumped on the ported woofer bandwagon because studies show that regardless of quality, people will prefer the speaker that sounds louder.

thanks for nothing there.

thank you NHT for keeping the faith. excuse me... i need to go give my CHEAP LITTLE superzeros a hug now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us