Need to cool down Receiver!!!!

Username: Invictus

Post Number: 1
I have a Kenwood VR-605 that needs some cooling down, it has plenty of ventilation but i cant even touch the top of it cuz it get so dang hot, does neone have ne ideas???? plz help

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 287
Jim,

I use a small fan that I clip to my entertainment center. I point it directly at the top of my NAD receiver. The NAD doesn't get real hot in the first place, but I figure it can't hurt.

Bronze Member
Username: Trailerparkking

Grand Rapids, MI

Post Number: 14
Does it have a cooling fan on it now? If so i am going to make a suggestion, but please remember that I am coming from a computer standpoint here... seems like this may be a possible rescource for you.

If it does have a fan you may be able to get a computer cooling fan of the same size that has a higher CFM (airflow) rating and replace it.

Is it possible the fan stopped working?

Post Number: 2
No, it doesnt have a fan right now but thats what ive been thinking about was a computer fan but i couldnt think of a power source.

Bronze Member

Grand Rapids, MI

Post Number: 17
Jim,
That is an interesting thought and one that would probably work quite well actually, but a power supply is an issue to overcome.

I know that a buddy of mine, fellow computer and audio lover, found some fans with a 12 volt PSU attached to them. He found them because he needed ventilation for his Metal Halide aquarium bulbs. I don't remember where he found them but I am thinking it may have been on Ebay. The guy basically just wired the fan directly to a standard 12 volt tranformer like you buy in the store for a walkman or something of the like. That may be an option as well if you have knowledge of electronics.

I am sure that a fan would help... The fans he bought were 80mm fans....depending on the size of the unit a 120 or 90 might be easier simply because they are quieter. Good luck with it and let me know what you do, i would be curious to see some pics of your solution!

-Bruce

Post Number: 3
Bruce,
Thanks for the info on those fans, I have come to the conclusion that that is gonna be the way to go, I am pretty techy when it comes to computers, HT and such so i am confident if i check around enough i can find some adapters to hook a cpu fan up in the reciever somehow. When I do finally get this done i will be sure to post some pics for you, its just i have some other projects going on right now too ugh. im gonna see about some way to mount it on the actual grill over the cover over where im getting most of the heat and putting a switch on the reiever somewhere. If anyone has anymore ideas for this or maybe a better solution please let me know. Thanx again Bruce.

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 215
I use a quiet (ball bearing type) 12v fan with a variable voltage adapter (4v to 12v in 2v increments). I place the small 100mm fan centered over the grill in extremely hot weather to keep our Marantz SR-7300 running cool - most electronic supply shops should have these. Apply small felt or rubber feet on fan frame corners to prevent vibration and movement.

Bronze Member

Grand Rapids, MI

Post Number: 19
Hey Jim, I just happened to look really quick and saw this on Ebay, thought it might save you the time and trouble of looking around in the "guts" of your receiver.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20755&item=2395542562&rd= 1

Have a great weekend everyone!

Post Number: 4
Bruce you are the man :-D thats EXACTLY what i needed and saved me time doing all that ac dc converting junk. Thanx. You dont need a pic anymore do you?

Bronze Member

Grand Rapids, MI

Post Number: 20
No Jim, but thanks anyway. Glad I could help!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us