Opinions wanted: Receiver for B&W Fronts/Center

Username: Msa6

Post Number: 4
Putting together a modest home theater setup. Using my B&W 301s (which are awesome bookshelf speakers) for fronts and the B&W series 3 center. No surrounds, alas...the room doesn't have floor space and the ceiling is too pretty (cherry wood) to put holes in. This system is for TV only...the music plays elsewhere.

The local dealer is pushing the Integra 4.5 receiver, but I wonder if I should consider something else. I'm always happy to spend less money for something equal or better, and used stuff doesn't worry me. Panasonic digital? I think I read somewhere that the B&Ws may not be a great match.

And what about the sub? Am I supposed to "match" with a B&W sub, or should I look at something else. I see lots of rec's for the huresearch.com subs. Is that the ticket? The room is large and has an odd shape, by the way.

Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Mystro

Post Number: 82
HK and B&W match sonicly the best I have ever heard. As for a sub, I have always used a Hi-End Velodyne sub. Thats their forte.

Post Number: 5
Which HK would you recommend. What about a DVD player? I don't recall what the guy was recommending, but I haven't a clue what to buy.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 751
You don't need to match the sub with the speakers.

The HK 435 would be a great pick for those speakers.

As far as DVD player... What TV are you using?

Post Number: 6
TV will be the Panasonic TH-42PWD8UK (EDTV; not going HD for now). Is there a good, somewhat less expensive option than the HK 435? I'm guessing you'd recommend this over the Integra 4.5 the local dealer is pushing (at about the same price, I think).

Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Mystro

Post Number: 83
I have been using a HK DVD player with my 1080P 61" DLP. It a great unit. I have heard the S77 Panasonic is a super DVD player as well. I am waiting for the new HDDVD format to hit this summer.

Bronze Member
Username: Wabkab

Post Number: 22
The Integra will be at least on par or maybe superior to that HK IMO.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us