Which Player?

Bronze Member
Username: Rcooke

Post Number: 16
Hey guys. hope you can help... I need to upgrade to a progressive scan DVD to complete my home cinema system and I wondered if anyone can offer advice. I hear the new Panasonic DVDS27EBS is good? Any other suggestions? I dont think I need a recorder as I have TIVO but I havnt ruled a good recorder out as the picture on my TIVO is not great.

My current setup is:

Denon 3805 Amp
Panasonic THPW6 43 inch Plasma & reciever
KEH KHT 2005.2 speakers...

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 150
Ralph,

Recommending a DVD player depends on what you'll be using it for. Will it be strictly for movies? Will you want to listen to CDs, SACDs, DVD-As, and/or other formats? What is your budget? Will gladly help if you provide this info.

BTW how do you like your HT system so far?

Bronze Member
Username: Rcooke

Post Number: 18
Cheers Two Cents...

Mainly for movies... Also for CD's and as I dont have a DVD-R but have a CD-R I would like to be able to record movied to CD-R and play them on the DVD player if this is possible. Dont know what SACDs and DVD-A's are.

Budget is not really a problem - just want to get something I wont have to upgrade for a while even when I upgrade my speakers etc in years to come.

Want to make the most of the rest oif my setup - particularly the prog scan Plasma.

Love my set-up so far - TV X-Box etc all sound great - would just like to play it loud the whole time but the other half has other ideas :-)

Any advice you could give would be great.

Bronze Member
Username: Docdat

CopenhagenDenmark

Post Number: 32
I'd recommend checking out the Denon DVD-2900 then, or maybe even the DVD-A11 or A1 if price is no concern.

Anonymous

unless you really want to spend alot of money,I think the denon 2200 should be about half the price of the 2900 and gives you at least 80-90% of the performance--they are very similiar players.I suspect the 2900 is a bit better with reg. cd's and if you are listening to alot of cd's it might be worth upgrading to the 2900,although you could get a seperate cd player for less than the difference that would probably be better(like the marantz 5400,cambridge 540,or nad 521bee---marantz is probably the best and cheapest as well-i think the marantz would work well with your denon rec. and kef? speakers).If you want a very good cd player and do not have the space for a seperate cd player the 2900 is your best bet,followed by the 2200 I think.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 166
ralph i normally would suggest the denon2200 or
2900 as adam and anon are.

except for 1 thing you mention, be able to play
burnt media.

i have the denon 2200 (love the player). mine and
i have heard other people complain also about the
ability of this player to handle copied dvd's.

i know dvd's are not the same thing as burnt cd's
(and mine seems to play burnt cd's fine.) but if
this is something you definatly want to do.

i would suggest you either test this yourself or
go with one of the pioneer elite universal players.

they are very good to excelent players and seem
to play all the media.without any issues.

Bronze Member

CopenhagenDenmark

Post Number: 33
Anon the DVD-2900 is only about 35% more here, and that is a codefree compared to a region locked DVD-2200.

Kegger I'm definitely going to bring a burned DVD and see if the DVD-2900 will play it, before buying.

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 723
Adam,

You can usually get the region changed, you know. It is simple to do, takes one minute. The codes are a closely-guarded secret, but known to the dealer, if he is any good.... (DVD "regionalization" is a total scandal in my opinion, utterly immoral, and everyone should try to defeat it, even if they don't need to).

I have just read a review of the Arcam DV79 in HiFi News and would look very seriously at that. Apart from the sound, it has excellent video, and HDMI.

Bronze Member

CopenhagenDenmark

Post Number: 34
Hi John, yeah I've looked at the different "unlock" sites before, and I can download a firmware that unlocks the region codes. However there are some bugs connected with those firmware versions that impacts other functions of the player, so I'd prefer to have the upgrade done by the dealer so any problems are covered by the warranty and I get the newest firmware version.

The Arcam DV79 looks very good, but I'm finding it hard to locate any dealers in either Denmark or Germany that has it listed. Also I can't find the review you mentioned, or any other reviews of it.

If I could buy it for about the same as the DVD-2900 and have warranty work done by a shop nearby, it would be an extremely interesting alternative.

I can buy the DVD-2900 online from a certified Denon dealer in Germany and then the warranty work can be done by my local Denon dealer which is close by.

PS: I agree wholeheartedly on the region issue. I'm amazed that it's not been made illegal by most countries. Talk about a hindrance to free commmerce!

Silver Member

Post Number: 726
Adam,

Copenhagen seems like a city fairly well supplied with serious hi-fi shops. Denmark generally has some great manufacturers, too, including actual components like speaker drivers, not just badges put on things made elsewhere.

May HiFi News you will easily get from large newsagents. It has their quarterly AV supplement. I like the fact that they consider technical issues in some depth.

As I write, the Arcam web site refuses to supply the "Dealers" page, but I am sure you will find several in Copenhagen/Fredriksberg (?) if you look.

I have lots to say on "Regionalization", and we seem to agree it should be a crime. If the EU could be bothered to address rampant protectionism and regional cartels I would have much more sympathy with the idea, but it seems to be about the last thing on its agenda. At least the real Union over the Atlantic showed some interest in curbing the Mafia.

The practical thing to know is that "Region 2" or whatever is entirely a software issue, and easily fixed, with no side effects. All you need is the code, or someone who can do it for you. I will send a diect message on this.

Silver Member

Post Number: 727
BTW The Arcam review is in the current HFN supplement "AVTech"":
http://www.linkhouse.co.uk/hifi/

Bronze Member

CopenhagenDenmark

Post Number: 36
Thanks John, I've found a couple of danish shops that sell Arcam, but the prices seem pretty steep :/

The DV79 is so new that it's not listed on their websites. I'll go and ask in the shop tomorrow and take a look at the HiFi news magazine.

Bronze Member

CopenhagenDenmark

Post Number: 39
John, the lowest price I've found on the DV79 so far is almost twice as much as I can get the DVD-2900 for, but I'll keep looking for a better offer.

Kegger, I don't know if you've seen these links before, but they have some tips on getting DVD-R's to work with the DVD-2200/2900 (different media and burning techniques):

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDnameid=3162&Search=Search&#comments

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDnameid=2712&Search=Search&#comments

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 182
yes i use those sites often and have gotten quite
a bit of good info from them.

another good site is dvdrhelp.com

i work for a computer company in the r&d department
and we have done quite a lot of testing on this
subject.

Silver Member

Post Number: 762
Adam,

Apologies if I misinformed you about prices. It was a guess. DV79 was priced at £1,000 in HiFiNews. The Denon DVD-2900 seems to retail in UK at around £650.

Bronze Member

CopenhagenDenmark

Post Number: 41
John,

No need to apologise. The DV79 looks like a great product and I think the problem lies with the danish Arcam importer.

All the Arcam prices seem to be much higher here than in the UK, even when taking the higher VAT into consideration.

Anonymous

Recently picked up a 1 year old Pioneer 47Ai on eBay cheap ($425 shipped) and like it. Haven't done head to head with the Denons, but reviewed the cost and so on and reviews pre purchase. Plays a lot of media and sounds quite good. My old CD player (Sony cheap 5 disc changer was actually smooth sounding but had no guts and no bass), so I bought the DVD (my first one) universal to play both, waiting for the media competition to settle a bit (DVD-A vs. SACD, etc.).

Reviews are at https://www.ecoustics.com/s.php?search=DV-47AI%20DVD%20Player

Alquimista
Unregistered guest
Hello.

ARCAM guys has just confirmed me that their DV79 can play any DVDs, since they sell their player to all countries.

MH
Unregistered guest
The Denon AVR 3805 has the Denon link for DVD-A and SACD. I'd go for a DVD player that supports this link.

Username: Ruthenry

Woodhaven, New York USA

Post Number: 4
Hello...I would like to buy a HD DVD player.
My TV is a SONY GRAND WEGA KDF-70XBR950...
Help me Please...... Ruth
My Email: henryw.andrade@verizon.net
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us