Up-to-$1000 CD player recommendations?

EntHugger
Unregistered guest
I would really appreciate your opinions and experiences on good matches w/my system as it's very hard where I live to audition many brands. It is a work in progress due to the fact that "pay-as-I-go" MUST be my mantra. (This does build character, though. ;) So thus far:
Pioneer Elite VSX-45
Monitor Audio GR20's
10's
center
Pioneer DVD563A player
old but reliable Onkyo turntable

The Elite is on the warm side and tames the GR's just right(for me, anyway.) And to my ears the 563A does a decent or better job as far as movies, DVD-Audio and SACDs are concerned. I'm pleased enough with it for those tasks. And yesterday, while watching LOTR Return of the King and feeling the floor shake when those mastodon creatures started pounding up the battlefield, I decided I really didn't need a subwoofer.

But I do spend a lot of time listening to older CD's. Mostly vintage rock, some jazz/classical/bluegrass. They sound okay on the 563A (as in better than the 15 year old Pioneer I was using previously), and some are noticeably better than others, but overall it can be a dissappointing experience. Bit shrill in the highs sometimes, not enough depth all around.

I realize an amp/pre upgrade could make a huge difference in sound quality but at this point in time I'd like to make an improvement in the CD player. I've read mostly good things about the Arcam, maybe the Rotel 1076 but I wonder if that one might not be such a good match. It's on the dry side? I will be prowling the Audiogon classifieds for a good used bargain. Are there other names that you all think might go well with my system? Thanks in advance.

TSH
Unregistered guest
I wanted to stay under the $2000 CDN mark when I went shopping for 2 channel electronics to pair with Monitor Audio Silver 6 speakers. I ended up with the NAD 352 int amp and 542 CDP and came in well under my budget. The NAD 542 is a nice mix - good detail but not harsh or shrill. As you say, this pair "tames" the tending to bright MAs.

I listened to Arcam (CD72), Rotel (1076) and Cambridge (640) CDPs as well, with a variety of amps and speakers. The Arcam was the only other one I seriously considered and it was nice. Price became a factor though...at the end of the day it would have been a $300 plus tax difference and I did not think with the speakers I would get that kind of value.

To sum it up - Rotel was not "warm" - almost clinical sounding, while the Arcam and NAD were more "musical". One more thing - the Arcam is very revealing and many older CDs are not great - the Arcam may reveal that and cause some disappointment.

EntHugger
Unregistered guest
TSH:
Appreciate your thoughts! By most all accounts I've read the Arcam is a great player. (Pricey, but great.) I'm concerned it may not be the best match for my MA's & the (many) older CD's I lesten to. I think I'll try to seek out an NAD dealer willing to let me test a CDP at home with my equipment. Been researching...I'm seeing the word "warm" mentioned a lot in reference to tube players. The names Shanling and Jolinda come up often and Audiogon prices for used stuff within my budgetary reach. Probably another possibility I should investigate. Again, thanks.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1255
The Musical Fidelity X-ray V3,they are discontinued so you should be able to get a good deal thru www.musicdirrect.com.Also the Jolida cd player for $900 and you can get it cheaper thru Audio Waves.And the Music Hall CD 25 from Audio waves $600 retail and cheaper from them,the best CD players I know for under a $1000.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us