Opinions plz.....

Silver Member
Username: Newb

Post Number: 194
i was wondering if i could get e little input. im currently shopping for a 7.1 receiver to power the speakers i already have. my budget for the receiver is $400 or less. currently i only have one pair of speakers and a sub. theyre jbl e-30's, 70wrms(i know everyone hates them but i did prefer them to other higher end speakers within the same price range).

i found 7.1 receivers for onkyo, harmon kardon, and yamaha for 300-400$. all of them put out 75w per channel. i was wondering is there a big difference between these three. or is it pretty much subjective.

i listen mostly to bass heavy music and also want to use this system for movies. i plan to buy a center channel and another set of speakers in a couple of months, maybe jbl e-100's.

thx for any suggestions

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2920
If those are the only 3 receivers you're looking at, the HK would be my first choice by a long shot. They are known for having very conservative power ratings, whereas both Onkyo and Yamaha (like Sony) are notorious for having very wishful power ratings.

In other words, 75wpc on an HK is probably equal to at least 150wpc in Onk/Yammie la-la land.

Bronze Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 75
I don't know how demanding the JBLs are for power. I suspect they are fairly easily driven 8 OHM speakers. If thats the case and the power differences between the receivers are less important, than the H-K would be my last choice. The reason is, despite their popularity, they have more QA problems as a brand ( they break and malfunction more often) than the other two. Onkyo and Yamaha receievers are more dependable. Also, I find the learning curve on the H-K stuff to be higher, but once you are there I suppose it doesn't matter. There is a fair amount of reported H-K issues on various forums around the net related to the quality assurance stuff I am referring to. Just my two cents.

Silver Member

Post Number: 195
the jbl speakers r 70wrms, most of the receivers ive been looking at r 75-100wrms so im assuming as long as i dont turn the volume up to max i should be fine.

interesting feedback. could i throw another one into the mix. so equal power ratings 75wrms per channel, price is similar, hk, yamaha, onkyo,denon. ive also heard ppl on this board say that denon has reliablity issues as well.

hmm so if all these higher end products have dependability issues is it better to just get a pioneer or sony lol?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2924
Chas, you're overlooking Marantz, btw. Their sound quality is close to HK and have not heard of many QC problems, would definitely take them over Pioneer or Onkyo.

Still, I'd take a chance with an HK anyways for their SQ, you can buy refurbs for a very good price from Harman Audio on eBay, these come with full original 3-year HK warranty and they are known to be very good with exchanges and returns if you have the bad luck to get a lemon.

Now of course if you had other speakers than JBL e30s I would have pointed you towards the miraculous little Panny xr55 which, in an ABX listening test against all of those brands' AVRs under say $800, would likely fare very very well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2925
PS. The Marantz would be a good match with your JBLs, warm receiver + bright speaker = neutral result.

Look at accessories4less.com for authorized refurbs, and hifi.com and audioadvisor.com for new stock.

Silver Member

Post Number: 197
thx for the help edster.

wow i thought cambridge soundworks only made speakers....yeah the marantz seem to be about the same price as the hk~$400. sr4600 looks like what id be looking for. would i have to worry about a blown speaker if the sr4600 puts out 80wrms per channel but my speakers are rated at 70wrms?

anyways ill prolly go for the hk, dont really wanna shell out the cash for something i cant listen to first and giving credit card #s online. i can get a new hk for$400 at a local store.

lol $800 is a lil over my budget right now(lotta school loans to repay), maybe in the future tho...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2931
> would i have to worry about a blown speaker if the sr4600 puts out 80wrms per channel but my speakers are rated at 70wrms?

Only if you crank the speakers to volume levels beyond where they start to distort, which very very few people above the age of 10 ever do.

$400 for an HK at a local store will get you an HK135, whereas from Harman Audio on eBay you can probably go 1-2 models up, either the 235 or 335.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harman-Kardon-AVR-335-7-1-Home-theater-receiver_W0QQitemZ582 9569761QQcategoryZ67799QQcmdZViewItem

btw, if you open a PayPal account the seller never sees your credit card number, and Harman Audio is truly one of the most legit eBay retailers out there.

Another reliable and authorized HK online seller:

http://www.electronics-expo.com/product.jsp?x=AVR335&zipz=11001

Silver Member

Post Number: 198
"Only if you crank the speakers to volume levels beyond where they start to distort, which very very few people above the age of 10 ever do."

mental or physical age? im guessing you dont have teenagers in the house?lol

but i think youre right, i got to go back to the store and check but i think confused the prices. i have this problem called impulse buying but i think ill wait or a week or so to think about it. it also gives me a chance to find a place to audition the marantz.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2933
nope, no kids for me/us...just a cat and some goldfish! : )

You might want to bring your e30s along if you find a Marantz dealer.

This is what I'd get for $400:

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MARSR5500

Silver Member

Post Number: 199
oh wow the xr55 panny looks like its a little more affordable too but more power than i was looking for(100w per chan). guess i could always upgrade my speakers. but yeah definitely look around for a place to audition them

Gold Member

Post Number: 2934
don't worry about the power issue, it's a non-issue really. If you go for the Panny you'll just need to turn the treble down with the JBLs though.

Jon S
Unregistered guest
Gotta correct something Edster said. Electronics expo is *not* an authorized HK online seller (or telephone, either). I asked HK, and they told me that *only* the online dealers listed on HK's website are authorized for *online* sales and EE is *not* one of them (EE *is* an authorized seller, but in-store only). HK said the US warranty would *not* apply if I bought my HK receiver from EE online (but I have no idea how closely that's tracked).

Sorry if that's an annoying clarifying post to read, but I came within a hair of making that purchase before I read the fine print. . .

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 512
Might I suggest the Pioneer VSX-1015TX? This unit is really an Elite without the name badge and fancy face plate. Its MOSFET outputs should be warm enough for any speaker with an edgy high end.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2937
woops, then I stand corrected. The EE site has a big banner that says they're authorized for all of their products. They have very good consumer ratings too, so I guess that made me more likely to swallow the bait.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
You'll need to check the power handling range of the speakers. It will look something like 8w-200w, which of course is a minimum maximum number. Your receiver or amp should be well above the minimum but technically not over the maximum, although thats less important unless somebody walks by and cranks by accident. If your speaker minimum is 70 than a 75 watt receiver isnt powerful enough. I doubt thats the case here.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
Hey Chas D- ON the HK problem issue-- I mean this is a real thing here. Just head on over to avsforum and plug in HK problem in the search and see what you get. DO it for the other brands too. The first thread you come up with is " How many people don't have problems with their new HK Receiever?" LOL!! Hows that for a title. Many folks have no problems;;;some say no problem except--then others report the big ones ( unit dead after one week ). You had said something about basically they all have problems and thats fine but dont fool yourself, HK receivers really do have reliability problems at a frequency the others dont, particularly in logic settings for 7.1!!! Buy what you want, butperhaps you should consider the HK reliability issue a bit closer; it's pretty well known knowledge out and about. Reminds me of Volvos ( which I drive) we all love em, and repair em, but if we ever drove a lExus, we know what a reliable car really was all about.

Silver Member

Post Number: 200
i appreciate all the feedback! more info makes choosing so much harder haha. i think my brains swimming.

but yeah holy crap with the hk reviews...it looks like
1)there are a lot of malfunctions but everyone seems pleased with the customer service on returns.
2)damn where does hk get all the refurbs? all faulty products?

forget it im goin with the pinnacle of audio the BOSE lifestyle lol! actually the only receiver ive had was an entry level pioneer that i bought for $200 in 1993, still works to this day.

well i think im gonna have to bail on the hk thing, only reason i would pay a little more is for reliability.

right now i guess im debating on panny xr55($235) vs onkyo tx sr573($345), may not be a fair comparison with the big price difference. im leaning towards the onkyo cuz its ipod linked. does anyone know if the 100wpc is rms or peak for the panny?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
I use a Panasonic sa300 from 1977 in my bedroom set up. never even replaced a fuse and its been moved like 20 times all around the country and even sat in storage in Houston for awhile. Now thats a durable product!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
BTW- I bought a used Onkyo Receiver on ebay for 80 dollars. Its driving my Ascend 170s right now and seems to be working just fine so far ( I've only had it for a few months)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2940
chas,

ain't no comparison between the Onkyo 573 and the digital Panny, the Panny would eat it for lunch...but hey, AB the two at home and let your own ears decide for you.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 348
Marc: I'm scratching my head a bit perplexed by the HK reliability issues you seem to proclaim. I have bought HK products exclusively for years and owned about six receivers and three cd players. Of all this equipment only ONE had a very minor problem. I currently own a new model HK receiver the AVR 335. I have had it about six months and it's performance is flawless. It is completely silent with no background 60Hz AC "buzz" with both analog and digital inputs. It will power my high sensitivity low impedence (4Ohm)speakers to house shaking volume levels with crystal clarity. It will cope well with many demanding speakers, offers Logic 7, which was developed by Lexicon- fine quality audio which there can be no argument against. Logic 7 sounds better with music than Pro Logic 2 with a more expansive soundstage. All of this for only $420 new shipped to my door from an authorized internet dealer. The middle to upper end Yamaha's are decent but these receivers are much more in cost than my HK. The Onkyo equalivalent is the 602 which I can promise you will not cope well with a difficult speaker. You see Marc, Onkyo uses current limiting,except for their flagship model,for protection of their amplifiers in their receivers,If you don't believe me just read the tests in audio magazines. This is a antiquated method of amplifier protection which HK DOES NOT use. They probably also use protection resistors when connected to low impedence speakers, this is the result of a poor design. In my opinion the only Onkyo worth having that is good is TXNR 1000. This is a good receiver no argument, but hey at a price of 4 grand thats seperates territory which 4 grand will buy a bit better performance with seperates than a $4K receiver will offer. Now I guess I had better prepare for the flaming to begin.

Silver Member

Post Number: 201
edster,

any particular reason you bought the xr55 over the xr70? i saw a new xr70 for $300 no tax, no shipping.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
Hi Eddie- HK reliability issues are simply an industry problem fairly well known. No flaming needed. Neat receivers too. But lots of software signal processing problems as well as hardware failures and quirks. Just read any forum you like--the HK owners can speak for themselves and have...in droves.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2945
chas,

because I don't need HDMI and also the xr55 has binding posts on all channels not only on the fronts like the 70 has. The $70 savings didn't hurt either.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2946
> Hi Eddie- HK reliability issues are simply an industry problem fairly well known. No flaming needed.

Marc, Mr. Ramsey's first name is spelled E-r-i-c.

: )

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
hehe. Cool. I really did read the post! I dont really diagree with anything there. I didn't think the HK problems were much of a debate and I dont have a beef with HK or any receiver line.

Silver Member

Post Number: 349
Marc: At least on this forum I have seen few HK owners that have problems. About the only receiver manufacturer that I have seen many postings about problems is NAD. This is also interesting since I have auditioned the NAD receivers and heard none of these noise issues in the models I heard. Some also mentioned why HK has so many factory refurbs. This is because once the factory carton is opened on a new HK and the receiver is returned for whatever reason it cannot be sold as new. Onkyo does use current limiting in it's power supplies this is factual information that can be obtained by reading any one of numerous tests in audio magazines over the past decade. Whether,or not you agree with this is irrelavant, this is fact not an opinionated matter such as sound quality. I also fail to understand why many people complain that the HK's are difficult to use. Every function can be accessed and displayed from the front panel as well as the remote. Not the case with the Onkyo.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
Well OK. The poster asked for opnions so I am sharing. If you head over to avsforum and plug in HK problems you can read a bit; then we can go to google groups or other sites. Really not trying to get into anything here, but like I said, there are just reliability problems with HKs that just dont happen in any frequency with other receivers. I also don't disagree with your comments about Onkyo receivers either. Mine is third of five in the house and I consider it a replacable throw away quite frankly. But I havent had any problems yet and run it for 8-10 hours a day ( for my dog when I am out of the house- he likes smooth jazz).

Silver Member

Post Number: 350
Thats fine I don't want to get into anything either Marc. That's very interesting about the HK reliability problems I think I'll check out the AVS forum, thanks for the info.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 173
For what it's worth, the only problem i've had with my HK235 is an occasional unwillingness to turn on from standby mode. A strong open-hand swat on the side of the unit tends to solve this problem quickly. I should probably get it fixed, but the problem is minor enough that I don't want to be without the unit for a few weeks. When my "fix" no longer works, i'll either get it fixed or replace it.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 363
My 1996 avr55 has beed thriugh heck and back.
I bought it because the ols technics receiver wouldn't run 4 ohm loads, and the H/K has done it nearly wide open for hours on end.
Had a lightning strike(at high volume) and the front panel mounted breaker tripped.
Reset after the storm, and kept on playing!

My brothers 20 yr old 10wpc receiver still goes fine, although the channel selector switch gives static. I will hardwire that one.

Not sure about newish stuff, but all is well for 10-20 yrs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2949
> But I havent had any problems yet and run it for 8-10 hours a day ( for my dog when I am out of the house- he likes smooth jazz).

poor dog! LOL

Username: Kburda

Post Number: 1
Hi, I was just looking for some advice on a new A/V receiver. I have a set of JBL northridge speakers (e100's, ec35, e30's, and an e250p sub). I was wondering which of these three receivers would be recommended. The JVC RX-8040b for $290, Yamaha RX-V550 for $300, or the Onkyo TX-SR503 for $350. Is there any significant difference in sound quality or reliability in any of these units and is the price difference worth it for the Onyko. (Price is lowest I can get at employee cost price at local store but I don't know much about this unit) Any recommendations would be a great help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2958
Your JBLs will benefit from a warm receiver, and neither of those 3 are really warm. This would be my rec, which would be well worth the $350 pricetag:

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MARSR5400

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
Yep The dog has it pretty good.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 514
"( for my dog when I am out of the house- he likes smooth jazz)."

Bet he would like the real thing better. :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 204
well edster i think youre pushing the xr55 a little too well it seems to be on back order @$%#^&! so i guess it should be comin in a week or two, hopefully not 3 lol. i figured what the hell for $200. it cant be worse than the $200 pioneer one i bought in '93. and if it is worse then well know that edster works for panasonic....just kidding. i think out of all the reviews i read only 2 ppl had negative comments.

anyways thx again for all the suggestions but the cheap arss in me took over but that saves me some extra money for some new speakers.

so now that u guys got me hyped i m looking for some floor standers. i was considering jbl e10s($600) or the klipsch rf7s($1000). first there seems to be a big price difference. secondly i know ed mentioned the jbl r bright speakers and the xr55 is a bright receiver? but the horns on the klipsches seemed pretty bright to me as well. any thoughts?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2963
The xr55 is actually a very neutral receiver, but it has jaw-dropping detail across the entire frequency spectrum---so if you put it with some bright speakers that emphasize treble and have weak or nonexistent midrange, all you'll hear is excessive treble hence the illusion that the receiver is bright when in fact it's caused by the speaker not balancing the treble with adequate mids.

So are you saying you have a $1000 budget for a pair of floorstanders? Is there a sub in the picture too?

Silver Member

Post Number: 205
my bad i meant e100. well i was hoping to stay under$600 but i really like the klipsch. i have a crappy sub aiwa ts-w7 which has to do for now. i cant drop 10k on audio like u big boys.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2966
heh, the day I spend 10K on audio I'd be out of a wife for sure!

$600 is not going to get you very good floorstanders at all, you'd be better off buying a great sub and bookshelf speakers.

For $760 shipped you can get the Ascend 170s with a Hsu STF-2, or with the STF-3 for an extra $200 which is a real house-shaker. Either combo would be way better than the JBL e100s.

Silver Member

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 175
$600 is exactly what I paid for a pair of Energy C-5s, and for the money you won't find a better pair of floorstanders. If I were going to spend up to $1k I would consider the Energy C-9s and the Ohm Microwalsh Talls long before Klipsch and JBL.

Silver Member

Post Number: 206
i guess i havent really been impressed with the higher end stuff ive listened to because in my opinion it lacked bass(tho this could have been due to the in store setup). i know most expensive stuff will focus on sq but i have to admit im a bass head. and yes i even liked the bose301s until i read the hundreds of reviews that said dont buy it.

well actually ive heard a lot of ppl rave about energy speakers and it was actually at the top of my list. that was until i auditioned them, the c1 and c3. to me they sounded a little anemic and the bass was a little too tight(might be because they only have 5 " drivers). i dont know maybe they were using a bad amp but i believe they were asking $300. but ill audition the c5s anyways.

actually the stf3 looks great im sure that 12" sub should be able to hit pretty low. im sure the ascends are prolly better quality than the jbl but i was interested in them because theyre 3way speakers and im sure the 4-10" drivers ought to shake the tiles off the ceiling. is one 12" sub gonna compare to that bass wise?

Silver Member

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 176
chas..

it's ok to be a bass-head, but you also need to understand the difference between bass and good bass. In the price you're looking, you're not going to find good bass without it being at the expense of everything else. The Energy C3s have great bass extension for a bookshelf speaker (and they have a 6.5" driver, not 5" like the C1) but it is a very musical, controlled bass. The C5s have the same 6.5" drivers as the C3, but in a 3-way floorstander instead of a 2-way bookshelf. The bass extension is better (as would be expected) but it's still pretty tight and controlled. If you want big booming bass use a subwoofer. For what it's worth, I like the C5s much better than the more expensive C7s - they have a richer, fuller sound with the 6.5" drivers than the 5" drivers in the C7s.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2977
I ditto Ziggy.

Yes, store setup is ESSENTIAL.

Just yesterday, I had an hour to kill before picking up someone at the airport so decided to swing by a local Circuit City and check out the Infinty Beta 20 bookshelves.

The room setup was appalling. The Betas were about 12 feet apart and a good 6 feet off the ground on some plastic wall-shelves and SQUARED towards the listening position! The subs were lined up towards the middle of the room, with totally random settings. Half of the receivers didn't work and the ones that did also had all sorts of screwed up settings. Luckily there wasn't any staff around so I had the room to myself and spent a good 10 minutes tweaking everything to a somewhat decent level before I was really ready to listen.

About all I could really do with the speakers was toe them in a bit, but I'm sure that if I had the speakers at home on the stands where my Ascends are right now, they'd sound three times better. But I was amazed at what a difference simply toeing in the Betas made, maybe because these are not exactly wide-dispersion speakers.

As for the number of drivers a speaker has, I found that going from M+T (Polk Monitor 30) to M+T+M (Polk Monitor 40) does yield a nice improvement, but going there to M+T+M+W+W (Polk Monitor 70) actually does not really do all that much. Of course these P-Ms were not exactly the greatest speakers to begin with...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2978
PS. To get really good bass even from a really good floorstander, remember that you are going to need a really powerful amp...which is a hidden addition to the overall cost of running the floorstander at its full potential.

Silver Member

Post Number: 207
man the receiver finally shipped so should be here in a couple days! damn amazon took forever thinkin i shoulda just dropped some cash at the local store for a hk lol.

has anyone heard cerwin vega floor standing speakers b4? i know they make pretty good subs for car audio.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3032
Cerwin Vegas are classic frathouse party speakers: they pay really loud (high sensitivity) with a smiley-shaped frequency response. Not bad if you plan on cranking AC/DC, etc. all the time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 354
"If you want boomy bass use a subwoofer". Ahh I think many owners of Velodyne, Bob Carver and M&K would readily disagree with that. We have been down this road before Ziggy. Why is it that you think a large woofer is incapable of producing anything but boomy bloated bass?

Silver Member

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 179
Eric... re-read what I said. I agree that many subwoofers are capable of producing good, musical bass. I was telling the OP that if he wants a lot of bass he's not going to get it in a speaker in his price range without sacrificing everything else.

Silver Member

Post Number: 208
ok so i finally got the darn thing. first impressions:

1)omg this thing is quite fugly! it looks nothing like the picture. honestly if it would have been available for audition at cc i would have definitely went for something else.

2)it is slightly lighter than my old analog receiver.

3)not very many vents, wonder if this will be a problem....

4)the treble is a bit notable, and the bass is a little weak as compared to my old analog pioneer receiver. not sure if its related to my speakers, cuz the e30's seem to not be very efficient. above -40 db there seems to be a big jump in volume sensitivity. but these things arent a big deal when you tweak the settings and plus my ipod has an equalizer. this is the first digital amplifier ive ever had but there seemed to be a doubtless difference. at first i didnt like the sound but after listening to it for a while, im getting ussed to it. too bad i sold the pioneer, would have been interesting to test side by side. panny also seems more powerful but the pioneer was 10y/o entry level receiver.

5)no ipod links to remotely control ipod as far as i know

well i surely have no complaints for this $200 receiver, u get what u pay for usually. but ill prolly like to change to an hk or onkyo with an ipod link next year. but ill give the panny a little more time to impress me.

btw does the biwire setup make a big difference?

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 777
"PS. To get really good bass even from a really good floorstander, remember that you are going to need a really powerful amp...which is a hidden addition to the overall cost of running the floorstander at its full potential."

Can you elaborate on this a little more please? I've got no problems with getting clean tight and deep bass from my towers with a 50 watt amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3170
Stu,

see my comments on the PSB towers I heard, on your new Panny thread. I tend to believe people like Tawaun who say that at under $1500-2000, you can't get a true full-range tower speaker that can come close to doing everything well...so the ones that do deliver great bass sacrifice the mids and highs. The PSBs I heard in the shop certainly fell in that category.

Username: Kburda

Post Number: 2
Any opinions on the JVC RX-402B sound quality. The av compulink with my dvd player and the wireless usb adapter are great features but if the sound quality is far below similar priced receivers I would like to know. This is not for top end speakers, just the second room setup.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3219
I have never heard the JVC digitals myself except for the previous generation hybrid rx-f10, which was not bad at all, drier and more clinical than the Panny 55 though. However, I have read mixed reviews of this new generation of JVC digitals, esp. on the avsforum.com board.

just trying
Unregistered guest
I had the JBL e60's and I found the highs to be none existent on 3 different receivers. Not arguing, but I would definitely not call them a bright speaker. I sold em up for the Athena F2.2's and I am way happier.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us