Avr 7300 shut off problem

Bronze Member
Username: Jake272727

Vernal, Ut Usa

Post Number: 44
Im having a problem with my new avr 7300 i just bought after about 15 min it shuts off ive checked the sleep timer and its not on this is a referb strait from hk i would think all the bugs would be worked out of it.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 736
Hope you got a warranty.

Sounds like it is going into Protect Mode, which can be caused from anything from a short on your speaker wire runs to an internal problem of the receiver.

Bronze Member

Vernal, Ut Usa

Post Number: 45
would it happen if i dont have any speakers hooked up?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 737
Good way of confirming it's a problem with the receiver.

Bronze Member

Vernal, Ut Usa

Post Number: 46
Ok ive hooked up all my speakers now and it seems to work for awhile but if i dont adjust anything after awhile it shuts off i dont know if its notices me not adjusting things or if its just shutting off.

Rantz
Unregistered guest
Put your hand on top after it has been running for a while. If it is very hot place it in an area where it will have a lot a breathing space (see manual) or if not possible place a small 12v whisper fan on top to draw air out (not push it in). I had this problem with my SR-7300 in hot weather and the small computer type cooling fan did the trick.

Bronze Member

Vernal, Ut Usa

Post Number: 47
i have mine in the open just on top of a stand it seems to get a little hott but not all that bad i contacted hk via email and all the email said is send it back for repair they didnt even give me any hints on what it might be you would think where i just got it from hk direct last week they would have tested all this. do you think it might be any thing else ???

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 511
Four months ago I received my refurbed 7300 via HK's eBay site. Upon hook-up I had no problem playing the unit at low volume, but when I turned it up to a very reasonable level, it shut down. This did not happen when in stereo mode, so I immediately concluded there was a problem with the in-wall wiring to the surrounds. However, the same thing happened when I used an external wire to those speakers. Turns out that the center channel wire was just hanging by a thread. Those screw-in binding posts do not stay tight. I then put banana plugs on all ends of speaker wire and now I'm jammin'. So let this be a lesson to all who read this: check regularly all speaker leads for hook-up integrity.

Meanwhile a friend buys an refurbed AVR 630 for the same source and ends up with a totally unrelated problem. HK was very good about exchanging his unit, and now he's jammin'. This fix took no longer than 7 business days.

I have noticed two things about the 7300. The unit runs very hot. And the built-in cooling fan is very noisy. I've gotten used to the noise, but it seems to me that with the fan, this receiver should run a little cooler (mine is also completely in the open). So make sure your fan is running. You will hear it switch on within 2 minutes of power up, regardless of whether the unit is working hard or not.

I remember reading somewhere that HKs were susceptible to flourescent lighting playing havoc with the infrared sensor on the unit. If there is that kind of lighting nearby try turning it off.

If all else fails give HK a chance to make your situation right. The 7300 is a wondrous piece of equipment and I encourage you not to give up on it too soon. You have a lot of performance here for the relatively low price you paid.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 336
Does it clip or shut down at volume when cold?
Do you know the speaker impedence?

Bronze Member

Vernal, Ut Usa

Post Number: 48
well i also tried running just the front speakers with differant wires and with no wires it shut off after awhile sometimes it runs for a long time some times just a few seconds this is my system i have an svs PB12-Plus/2 then i have ascends 340s for my front rears and center and hk7300 running them.

Bronze Member

Vernal, Ut Usa

Post Number: 49
One thing that really pissis me off is that this was a refurb unit strait from hk and im having problems with it after one day of being hooked up think they would of had it perfect when it left.

Bronze Member
Username: Mystro

Post Number: 86
It sounds like its getting too hot and shutting down. I havent had any issues with mine and run it very hard. I keep mine behind glass so not to hear the fan noise. Problems are going to happen, as with any electronic product. Give HK a call.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 392
jake, it's like any electronis piece, if it's ok for 10 days, It will last a long time.
They don't test run these things for days on end, just see if they work and ship 'em.
I'ts under warranty, it will be fixed.
Sorry, mano.
Fact of the business, type of thing.

Bronze Member

Vernal, Ut Usa

Post Number: 50
yes i think its a fan problem, i cant hear the fan running now it did at first but now it seems like it has crapped. thanks all for your help much appreciated.As far as the reciever it self it looks awsome.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us