Hawk please help on choosing receiver

BAF
Unregistered guest
Hawk,
I am come down to 3 receiver choices:
Nad t742, Marantz sr6300 and Cambridge Audio Azur 540R.
My speakers is JM Lab Chorus 710
My budget < $600
Which one do you think is best match for my speaker. I can't audition on both of them because I live in small state. I heard Rotel with B&W 602 and I like the sound.
Any advise on the speaker cable will be great.
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 517
BAF:

Your JMlab Chorus speakers are very much on the bright side. Again, I must underscore I am not being critical, but noting the predominant chareacterisitic that you must account for when choosing an amp to drive them. I would also note that the Chorus has been very well received in the English Audio mags (here in the US, they hardly even mention the brand as JMlabs has not had good market penetration). I have heard your specific model speakers and I love the detail.

I love the sound of the NAD T742, but you can do better in matching the sound of the speakers. The Marantz 6300 is a good receiver, but somewhat undistinguished in its price category. It is a little more laid back sounding than the NAD which is a good thing with the Chorus, but it doesn't seem to have the air the Chorus speakers really need. I have not heard the Cambridge Audio receiver, but I have heard their integrated amps and assuming the overall sound is similar, I would highly recommend the Cambridge as the best choice. I have read a couple of good reviews of this receiver and their description of the over all sound would seem to make it the best choice for your speakers.

As for speaker cable, I recommend either the Monster Cable Navajo White, a 16 gauge wire that will work very well without breaking the bank (I am not real big on expensive speaker cable). I also recommend the Sound King brand of speaker wire available at www.partexpress.com. It is every bit as good as Monster Cable and far less expensive.

BAF
Unregistered guest
Thanks Hawk.
One more question, How about the Pioneer Elite & HK? What model you recommend and why? What is the price?
Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 75
I would also be interested in comparison between 540R and the Elite 53. They are a bit different kind of amps: the huge, heavy and feature rich Pioneer and minimalistic CA. Can the Pioneer keep up in in terms of sound quality?

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 521
BAF:

First off, Pioneer elite does not seem to have a receiver under $1K that I would recommend. If your budget were higher, it is a definite contender, but not at $600.

That leaves H/K. I must admit I have not listened extensively to the new H/K lineup, but I know they are a good match. One of my local H/K dealers is also the JMlab dealer in my area, so I have heard the H/K with your speakers. I must say it was pretty nice. In checking the prices at One Call, you can get the 330 for $499, and the 430 (which I really like) for $659, so your budget appears to fall in the gap between them.

I would lean toward the Cambridge Audio, but failing that, look into the H/K. I hope this helps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
Interesting opinion. Why isn't the 53 a good choice? As far as I know it is very similar to it's more expensive brother the 55i? The amp section should exectly the same, while the differences lay only in firewire, usb and serial-port (RS232C) connections and maybe the remote. While these are nice features, the 540R nor the AVR330 have any of these, so why is it not a good option?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
No more opinions on Elite53 vs T743/540R ?

BAF
Unregistered guest
Hawk,
I just order the H/K AVR430 like you recommend. I found on article from the Home Cinema say they recommend receiver for JM Lab Chorus has power rating at least 75W RMS. The reason the speaker minumum impedance can dip to as low as 3Ohm.
Is this true? I become to worry? Should I change my order? Thanks Hawk.
BTW here is the link:
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/SpeakerPackages/Focal-JMlab/FocalJMLab Chorus.php

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
The power in watts doesn't directly tell you anything about the amps ability to drive low impedance loads. With low impedance speakers you need higher current, and that's where H/K and NAD are very good. The AVR430 will have no problem driving those JMLabs.

Basic models from Pioneer, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Sony (even if 5*100W+) etc. definitely doesn't have as good current output and will probably have problems with <4Ohm impedance.

BAF
Unregistered guest
Hi thanks Landroval...that's make me feel better. I am going to find out this coming week...seems like forever.....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us