Hawk, I'm back and now need your advice on a receiver.

Username: Sfox7076

Post Number: 1
Hey Hawk, long time no talk. I've been insanely busy at work, but got my first real pay check. I am going to figure out what to buy for my Paradigm Studio v2 60's, 40's, CC and a Hsu Sub. My price range is $1000-2000. But I would prefer to spend in the lower end of that range.

Shawn

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 510
Shawn:

Good to hear from you, and also good to hear you have been working. I am hoping to go back to work sometime in the not to distant future myself.

Hey, I have a little bias here, but hear me out. I bought an NAD T753 and I absolutely love it. The sound is exquisite and I couldn't be happier. I strongly recommend it and I only paid about $800 for it. You may want a little more power, though, depending upon the size of your room (you haven't told me how big your room is). If so, I recommend the NAD T763, which you can get for about $1100 (check with Kiefs or Saturday Audio for current price). The 763 has 100 wpc x 6, so it has more than enough juice for your beautiful Paradigms. I do think the 753 has enough power for most rooms, but if you want more juice, the step up to the 763 is well within your budget.

As I have posted many times here before, there are few combinations that can equal the NAD/Paradigm combo. It just works really well, IMHO, as it is perfectly balanced, with superb detail yet is so smooth you can listen to it all day.

If you want something in separates, I recommend the Outlaw 950 pre/pro with an Outlaw 7100 power amp ($1598 for the pair, I think). I am not a great fan of the 7100 on its own as it is a bit too cool and clinical sounding for my tastes, but it is an amp that works very well with Paradigm speakers, which are very warm sounding. The 950 pre/pro is simply the budget champ in low cost pre/pros and you have to spend considerably more to better its sound. The Outlaw combo does produce wonderful detail and the Paradigms can reproduce the detail and still smooth out the coolness of the 7100. Consequently, the combo is a very good one. You can get the Outlaws on a 30 day in home trial.

Hope this helps, my friend. Cheers!

Post Number: 2
Hawk,

The room is 16x11. Horrible, shape, but not much I can do about that. It is an apartment in NYC. As for the electronics, I figured that's what you might say. I have had a real problem listening to the NAD here in Manhattan. The only place with a T753 setup that is even 1/2 way near what my speakers are is this place called Harvey's. They have it set up in a room full of Boston Acoustic speakers. What do you think of the Boston's with the NAD? I wonder what the differences are from my paradigms. The other speakers they carry there are Martin Logans and only hook those up with McIntosh. There is another place on Park Ave. here that has the t753 hooked up with the small KEF KHT speakers. What a waste... There is one other store in Manhattan that sells NAD, with B & W, but they will only let me hear the two-channel receiver. So I am kind of in a bind to listen to it. I really want to check it out. I had it down between the NAD t753 and the Outlaw pre/755 combo. I don't want the 7100 because I have read it sounds clinical. I have a true dislike for that feel to a receiver. It is why I am not a huge fan of Rotel with paradigm. Seems too laid back for me. I don't know your thoughts on either the 755 combo or the t753. I am leaning towards the NAD because of cost, but don't want to pass up on amazing sound either. What can I say, I have too many choices I guess.

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 25
i am in a similar boat as shawn, with the nyc dealer hassles with the same equipment. i think i have (finally) decided to go with a speaker setup of studio 60 and 20 v3, and cc470 (sub to be det. later, dep. on how much i drive my neighbors nuts w/o one). i can't find a way to listen to studios with nad, but love the sound of each separately, so am considering making the plunge. i did an a/b comparison at harvey's of the nad 763 vs marantz 7400 (using boston vr3's) and it was NO comparison. despite my going-in bias for marantz (due to lower price and more features), IMO the NAD sounded clearly "bigger", smoother, warmer, and more lifelike.

questions i'd appreciate feedback on from you guys as i near the decision are:
1. studio 20s or adp dipoles for the surrounds? i will use 60/40 music/movies, and MUST mount surrounds on back wall or on stands to side of couch. room is 27x12, w/spkrs aimed across the short dimension, and sidewall mounting is not possible.
2. NAD 773 vs outlaw: IF i step up to that price pt. (funny how this process keeps you inching up and up), which is better (w/studios, and intrinsically)?
3. 773: many threads on this and i'm still confused: can it drive (w/o another amp) a second 2 spkr zone, from a second sourc in addn. to 5.1 in main room? can it play a "b" pair of spkrs in addition to a 5.1 "A" set? how do the 773's capabilities differ from the 763 in these regards?
thanks.

Post Number: 3
Bigfan, I just talked to someone at Royal Music on Canal Street. He has the 60's hooked up with the T743. Not the power, but at least you can get an idea. I am using the 20's as rears, and at times wish I had the ADP's. It is all preference, but since I usually listen to music, I prefer the 20's to the ADP's when playing an SACD or DVD-A. I am probably 90/10 music to movies, to give you an idea. I don't know much about the 773 because it is just much more than I need. I only want 5.1 or 6.1 and have no desire to go over 100w per channel right now. I am just trying to decide between the Outlaw combo and the 753/763. Is the RS-232 port worth it? I mean how many of us will update the firmware? I can see 30W being worth more money, but for me I am unsure. Finally, the thing I wonder most about is the power supply. Will I notice any difference from the EI to the Toradial. Any thoughts from anyone?

And Hawk, if you're ever in NYC you are always more than welcome to stop in for a listen.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us