Wondering About Speakers

ZakMac
Unregistered guest
Hey, I've only read two threads here, and that's enough for me to gether that even at $200 Theater Research are not good speakers for the price. They look impressive and get enough hype though. Anyways, my budget is $300-350 and I'm looking to get some decent speakers for my stereo. Nothing impressive, it's a Sony 600w thingamabob and that's all I know about it. Right now I can't even max the volume because my wimpy speakers can't really take it, right now I'm using some RCA 75w 3-ways...whatever that means. If you haven't gathered by now I'm no genious when it comes to home audio. My question to you guys is, "What is a good brand of speakers, for a decent price (on eBay, preferably), that a poor man can get for $350? I mean, maybe you guys don't like TR for some really techy reasons, but maybe a guy who is just into crisp, loud sound might like it? I'd like to hear your guys take on this and maybe some suggestions of what to look for? So far Polk Audio and Boston Acoustics look way out of my pricerange. Many thanks guys.

Bronze Member
Username: Raj_p

Evanston, IL USA

Post Number: 24
if you're set on ebay maybe the way to go is a pair of Infinity Beta 20s? and then add in a Parts express 10" dayton sub? That should give you full range sound for about 350.

ZakMac
Unregistered guest
eBay is just a main option due to being a quite affordable option, but any PayPal-accepting e-store is an option really.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 737
The only one's who like and hype the TR speakers are the jokers that sell them. Google the "White Van Speaker Scam" for more reasons not to buy them.

Good speakers can be found in your price range. My advice is to go to hi-fi shops and listen to as many different things as you can. For the most part, stay away from the likes of Best Buy and Circuit City. They may have one or two pairs that are worth the money, but in general they are over priced. While Polk and Boston Acoustics make some good speakers, they are generally over priced and you can get better for the same amount of money or less.

Listen to stuff above and below your budget so you know what your budget should get you. You may find something below your budget that you're happy with, or you may find a pair that you can justify paying a few dollars more for. You're the only one who can make that determination. A good hi-fi shop should be able to take care of you.

Their are also a couple of internet-direct speaker companies that get good reviews. I don't have any experience with them, but others here do. As far as e-bay, do some research before you buy a particular pair. Don't let the ad sell you.

The best approach I can think of is going to some hi-fi shops, listening to speakers, and asking opinions about specific speakers that you saw. Keep in mind that they will only be opinions though. The only one that'll matter is yours.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us