Velodyne SPL-1000R

ranjeet1234567
Unregistered guest
Is Velodyne SPL-1000R worth the buck? Or can I do better for 850 bucks? I have B&W ASW-675 on my mind too. Any other alternatives? Budget - Max 800 bucks

Ranjeet

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2811
hsuresearch.com

svsubwoofers.com

I'd get the Hsu VTF-3 for $700, personally.

just trying
Unregistered guest
I don't doubt HSU and SVS make awesome subwoofers but honestly, no mass market subwoofer can touch what you can make yourself, not to mention saving a ton of $$$. You won't even need $700 for a DIY subwoofer, about $450 should do. Here is what I'd do if I had that money. I'd go to partsexpress.com, buy one 12'' Dayton RS series driver, one parts express 240 watt plate amp, and their pre-built 2 cubic foot box {sealed}. This arrangement with light stuffing would get you just about a flat response, and an F3 around 30 Hz, I've done all the calculations. If you just have to buy a built one, get an SVS for HT, or maybe HSU if you're more music.

ranjeet1234567
Unregistered guest
Building a sub is not a bad idea at all. I would love to do that. Only I was afraid of ruining the tonality of the driver by my amateur adventures. I thought building a speaker was rocket science.

Now I am trying to find study material on the enclosure types etc. Different drivers have diff properties and need different type of breathing space. So I guess, I need to study the subject.

What do you think of Polk drivers for car audio? Would you call them musical? Here are the ones I have on my mind: Polk MM2154 (15" single vioce coil) - http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/subs/mm2154/ and Polk 2104 (10" dual voice coil) - http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/subs/mm2104dvc/

I have heard them and they are very tight and produce exceptionally deep bass. What would you say?

Thanks for your opinion...

just trying
Unregistered guest
Well the material you want for your enclosure is MDF. The width really depends on sub size and enclosure size. Typically you will use 3/4'' thick or up to 1''. In simple terms, a ported sub is better for HT and a sealed is better for music. I personally prefer sealed boxes. Now about the polks. Here's my input on that. They probably do sound good, but imagine them sounding 10 times better...If you want subs for a car seriously check out the "high output" version of the Dayton rs series. I can guarantee you they will crush the polks you have heard, like, no comparison what-so-ever, at all! And I would advise strongly against 15'' woofers. I will always remember the time I heard one single high quality 8'' woofer and it blew my friggin mind man. My point is, 1 or 2 quality 8's, or 10's, will do you best in terms of car audio. For HT I like 12'' subs. Good luck!!

ranjeet1234567
Unregistered guest
Hey there just trying... i agree with you on most points. I do have to check out the speakers you suggested.

Do you think using car audio drivers for building a sub for home audio is a good idea? I don't know if technically there is such a thing as a "car audio driver" and "home audio driver". Or there is?

Thanks for your view.

just trying
Unregistered guest
The pretty much only difference is car subwoofers handle alot more power and some can handle better in tiny enclosures, home sub's usually don't run at 2 ohms like some car subs either. I would stick to what the sub is made for though, get a car sub for a car, home sub for home. I know guys that have built home subs using car drivers and they didn't turn out all that great sounding. Car subs are usually cheaper so don't be tempted by that, you would regret it later on. There's a link to that Dayton 12'', check it out.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-464

Anonymous

Ranjeet:

Do NOT buy from New York Wholesale Audio Video (the link you gave). According to the research I've done, they are a scam, and they are run by Uncle's Stereo, a shady New York operation that cheats customers, sells gray market and used items as new, destroys serial numbers, etc. Uncle's Stereo websites include, but are not limited to:

AbsoluteAudioVideo.com
AboutGizmos.com
AllHomeTheater.com
AllHomeTheater.net
Audio and Vision store on Shopping.com
AuthenticHomeTheater.com
CraftwoodCustom.com
ElegantAudioVideo.com
DependableAudioVideo.com
DigitalCraze.com
HomeTheaterByTheSea.com
NewYorkWholesaleAudioVideo.com
ReliableAudioVideo.com
Reliable Audio Video on Yahoo Shopping
PlazaAudio.com -- currently not active
ReelAudioVideo.com -- currently not active
SpeedAndSound.com -- currently not active
TheWorldOfTheater.com -- currently not active
UncleStereo.com -- currently "under construction"

DO NOT BUY FROM THESE GUYS -- BE CAREFUL OUT THERE

ranjeet1234567
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the warning Anon. I appreciate. Its not easy to know who is what untill you have already done some business.

Username: Steveynelson

STATEN ISLAND, NY USA

Post Number: 1
i HAVE PERSONALY HAD NOTHING BUT AN EXCELLENT EXPERIENCE SHOPPING W/ DIGITALCRAZE.COM

I PURCHASED 2 55" FUJITSU PLASMA TV'S, A MONITOR AUDIO SPEAKER SYSTEM WITH A VELODYNE DD12 SUB AND MY BROTHER BOUGHT AN OPTOMA PROJECTOR AND HONESTLY WE GOT NOTHING BUT PLEASURABLE CUSTOMER SERVICE W/ FAST SHIPPING SO "ANON" MAYBE IT WAS JUST YOUR EXPERINCE ON THEM BECAUSE ACCORING TO THEIR REVIEWS "DIGITALCRAZE.COM" HAS A NICE RECORD ONLINE IR: PRICEGRABBER - SHOPPING.COM

bryman79
Unregistered guest
If Uncle's Stereo is so bad, why has noone filed a BBB report in the last 36 months?

Regards,
Bryan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us