Best bookshelves under USD 300 a pair

ranjeet1234567
Unregistered guest
Paradigm? B&W? Klipsch? (I am running out of money) JBL? or Axiom? (Is Mt22i good enough?)

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Ranjeet

Silver Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 128
Paradigm B&W and Athena make great budget bookshelves speakers for under $300

What receiver do you plan on using with it?

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 197
From what gather, the EPOS ELS-3s can be had for under $300 here
http://www.audioshopper.com/AudioWaves/default1.html

or here
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=EPOELS3&product_name=ELS 3%20Mini%20Monitor%20Speakers%20-%20Pair

I would not look any further.

P.S. Ask them for a better deal & you can usually save a few more bucks.

Bronze Member
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 69
The Epos ELS-3s are 4 ohm and 86dB. Make sure your amp can handle that kind of load.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1154
They actually dont drop below 4 ohms at all you will be fine,they are deffinetly miles ahead of everything else at that price.The only other other competitor is the infinity Primus 150 for $199 at Circuit City.A man is lucky to get a speaker as talented as the els 3 for this kind of money.If thats all you can spend then race to a Epos dealer.

Bronze Member
Username: Fps_dean

Williamstown, MA USA

Post Number: 74
^^ The Beta 20s on ebay run around $300 after shipping and are much better - they add a bit more lows.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 411
I can vouch for the Axiom M3ti's. They will run you about $300 a pair.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 324
the M3ti... YUCK!

rip your head off highs, and smeared mids.

The 22ti is much better, at least in the mids. I for one don't care for the ultra bright high end of axiom speakers. And yes, I have decent (rotel) equipment.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1157
Rotel is a bit on the bright side itself.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 252
Au contrare, TA, the Rotel presents a balanced, high powered approach to the product.
In choosing the speakers is where the wide presentation of the amp makes it available to a large number of end of line products.
It is all a chain, and having the entire spectrum available makes the speaker selection difficult, but more broad in presentation.

I would prefer to have the entire spectrum available, and choose the speaker for personal preference.

$4.98 change

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 412
You have heard the M3ti's Gavin?

I actually hear the details very well on them and their "brightness" actually complement my Marantz "warmth" pretty good.

I'm sure the 22ti is a better speaker. Size does matter in speakers, but I had to have something I could mount on the wall. I have 2 boys who would probably enjoy experimenting with sticking objects into the woofer to see if they can make a better speaker than Tim.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 325
yes I have, and if you have a rather analytical sounding amp, like mine is, they will drive you out of the room.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1159
But you cant you have to balance your speakers with your amp and source.In my opinion Rotel is on the bright side,so you would need to balance them with a warmer speaker and the Axioms would not be a good match for the Rotel electronics something warm like the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s would suit them well.

ranjeet1234567
Unregistered guest
I guess $300 isn't enough. I set the cieling at $500. I guess that would add some options here.

I went checked EPOS ELS-3s. I can't comment on the sound quality, but from the specs they dont sound like high end products. 86 db and 4 ohms. I guess I can do better. But on the second thoughts, I could change my mind if their sound quality were exceptional. I'll go and see if I can hear them somewhere.

I also have had Axiom bookshelves on my mind. I guess with 500 bucks in my wallet I can surely eye M22ti which should be a 10 times better than M3ti. But the same problem here. I can't find a place to audition them. Do you know a place in NY/NJ where I can audition these monitors?

I guess Axiom don't go well with Rotel's. But I don't have Rotel so I am good there. I would buy a Denon 3805 most probably (or may be 2805. I opened another thread for that discussion). So keeping a Denon/Onkyo/Hk on your mind, what is your take? Cieling $500.

Thank you all you folks...

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 210
Some very trained ears consider the EPOS ELS-3s amongst the very best budget speakers available.

Try to listen to the ELS-3s, they are very much over-achievers & worth listening to, $500 however, brings to another level. Good luck.

Username: Ptarmigan

Post Number: 3
This is an easy one. Mission M32i. For a few extra bucks, buy two pairs of them. Their half off on Amazon. Or get one M32i pair and one M31i pair for $300 even. I did, and they are worth much more than their list price. Never heard of Mission? Heard of Warfedale? Quad? They are part of the same outfit now. The M32i sound better than many full size speakers. And they are very efficient.

just trying
Unregistered guest
Man..Either way you win here. If you want to spend under $300, than simply get 1 or 2 pairs of Athena AS B-1's {going for a measly $99 a pair at audio advisor} or, if you can spend $500 than you could opt for the Athena F2.2's going for $399 shipped. Athenas with an HK...a very nice match indeed. Lastly, a pair of Phase Tech teatro 4.5's are on sale for about $130 at onecall.com. Check them out...the titanium coated woofers are a sight to be seen!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1188
Beleive me the The Epos els 3,Wharfedale Diamond 9.1,Usher HTS 520,and Totem Dreamcatcher are probably better than anything up to $500,and if you really love sweat vocals the Alegria Audio Lings would be on my list to.The others might be better all arounders than the Lings,but boy are they sweet on vocals,I would really take a close look at the Epos els 3,Wharfedale Diamond 9.1,and the Usher HTS 520.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us