Opinion: Mordaunt Short 908

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 191
OK, the saga continues. Who knows what about Mordaunt Short MS908s? Is there a difference between the Avant 908s & the 900 Series MS908s? How much would you pay for a NIB pair?

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1148
The Avants are the current model I dont know about the model your talking about, the Declarations were before the Avants.I just traded my Avant 908s yesterday,funny you brought those up if you go to my profile you will see my original set-up when I first joined this forum.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 192
WOW, that is a coincidence? I went to a hi-fi shop in NYC where I've been auditioning speakers, when the salesman says he has 2 pairs of Mordaunt Short speakers in old-stock, the MS906s for $400. & MS908s for $500.

Now I know your ...upgrading (?) to the SDATs, How would you compare the two (other than the price, of course)? I really can't bring myself to consider the SDATs seriously. Am I being foolish?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1151
I bought the SDATs for my dad and just broke them in for him.The SDATs play some serious bass down to the mid 20s and they are very airy and detailed more so than the 908s,but a bit clinical at the same time,908s are warmer and go down with a very tight and fast bass down to about 35 htz.The SDATs are amazing for the price,you will have a easier time partnering the 908s they arent as sinsitive to gear as the SDATs,the 908s are a good buy remember the Avants are substancially better than the older 908s.They are very bloomy in the midrange with increadible weight with voices and pianos a pretty detailed speaker with a lot of slame and very nice build quality.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 193
Are the 908s wood veneer? How would I tell the difference between the older 908s & the Avants? How much did you pay for your 908s?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1153
The are real wood veneer,the Avant are the new ones they are a light maple and they are thinner,the older ones are wider and a cherry finish.I paid $1100 but I traded in some old speakers every dealer doesen let you do that and you certainly cant do it on line,but if you look around you should be able to find them cheaper.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 194
I'm pretty sure from what your telling me that I'm talking about the Declarations (they're not call that any longer on they're website) http://www.marantz.com/mordauntshort/products/908.html, and not the Avants http://www.marantz.com/mordauntshort/products/avant908.html.

The Mordaunt-Short website is not very informative as to the differences.

So what's your view on a pair of Declaration MS908s for $500?

Bronze Member
Username: Bumblebee

Post Number: 37
The Declarations comes in cherry and black. The Avants in light maple and black. Both use vinyl.

The Declarations have rounded cabinet edges.

The Avants have ribbings in the woofers.

You may want to try the MS914 too.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 195
Only the MS-906s & MS-908s are available from this shop. Tawaun would disagree with you about the vinyl, he says they're real wood veneer. Other than the trivial cosmetic differences, are you aware of any hardware and/or sound differences.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 196
T

I just found out they are vinyl.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
"The Avant range of loudspeakers pioneer our proprietary Continuous Profile Cone (CPC) technology and a new driver design which employs a unique radial ribbing to guarantee excellent critical rigidity at the cone edges. This results in more effective sound quality and reproduction even at high volume from all Avant loudspeakers."

-http://msperformance.co.uk/content.php?COID=30

Gold Member

Post Number: 1155
Well you tell me where you can find stained maple vinyl and then I will believe you.But then again I talked to the guy at Marantz who handles MS all the time,and plus I owned them for 10 months so I now what real vaneer fells and looks like.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Hi Tawaun. All the MS's (Declaration's/Avant's) I've seen are finished w/ vinyl.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 198
The sales reps I've spoken with all say they are vinyl too, but it's not that important too me. Please tell me if you think the 908s are a bargain at $500?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1176
Do you have to have a floorstander? can you spend $200 more?If you can a much better alternitive would be the Epos M5 its a bookshelf but has some very good bass its better than the Avant and the Declaration by a long way,they are the reason why I dont have my Avants or my Epihonys any more,and after I heard them I heard the M12.2 and well the rest is history.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 199
T

The Declarations @ $500. is about $100. more than I want to spend. I just thought that if they were an exceptional bargain @ $500.

Remember that list you posted for me a few weeks ago?

1. Odyssey Epiphony $595
2. Ohm Micro Tall $1000
3. Epos M12.2 $895
4. Epos M5 $650
5. Dynaudio Audience 42 $850
6. Epos ELS3 $299
7. Paradigm studio 40 $900
8. Totem Dreamcatcher $450
9. Von Shriekert VR 1 $1000
10. Usher HTS 520 $500
11. Paradigm Studio 20 $650
12. Algeria Audio Lings $349
13. Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 $349
14. Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 $600
15. B&W DM 602 S3 $600

...Well I've been using it as a reference, and have narrowed down my search to:

Epos ELS-3s @ $275.
Ascend Acoustics CBM-170s @ (less than) $328. (B-stock)
Totem Dreamcatchers @ $335.
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s @ (maybe a little less than) $349.
...and maybe Tims Algeria Lings @ 349. (I'd love to give him the business, but I'm not sure they're for me.)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1181
It would be nice to give Tim the buisness,but unfortunetly you have to please yourself first and I realy wasnt putting them order either so dont use that as your refference,now I see where you are at as far as how much you want to spend.Well Ive owned 2 of these speakers that you listed and had significant time with the other 2 and I own the 8.1s.Its a tough decision all these speakers have soft spot in my heart,If I had to go out on a limb for all around ablities I would say the els 3 and the 9.1s are dead even,but taste are for the els 3 becuase of their acurate midbass,they are close to the 9.1s in detail they dont play quite as low as the 9.1s and they have slightly sweater highs,but like the timing better on the Els 3.The Dreamcatcher are a bit more colored than either one of them and wont play quite as loud but they have great punch,The Lings are sweet in the midrange and with vocal phrasing with a foward midbass,but thet dont have the scale of the others,but if you like vocal music you would be happy with them for a long time.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 200
T

The Wharfedale 8.1s can be had for under $140 a pair, and the 8.2s for under $190. Are they worth considering? I would LOVE to save the money. I have not been able to audition the Wharfedales.

Are the Athena Audition AS-B1s (which I have also NOT auditioned) comprable to Wharfedale 8.1s, or any other speaker on my list?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1184
No,the thats a excellent deal for the 8.1s they are better than the 8.2s which are kind of boomy and boxy sounding.To be truthful to you I would go for the 9.1s or the els 3 both have better bass extension than the 8.1s the extra money is wortht it.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 204
I thought might say that.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 205
By the way, I just won an ebay auction for a Pioneer DV-578A (Refurb) SACD/DVD-A player for $46. Thought I'd delve into the world of SACD.

Who knows? Maybe I'll buy one of those Panny digi recievers edster raves about next.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us