Paradigm Studio 60

Username: Argento

Post Number: 7
I need your opinions about these speakers.
How they sound?
I know there are different versions. What is different about these versions? Is it possible differentiate (phisically) between versions?
Which is their lowest price? (Maybe around $1000?)
Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Robertinchico

Post Number: 20
I auditioned several Paradigm models at length including the Studio 60. They feature a very fine, clean and DRY upper end. You must use an upgraded cable, or they never come to life. The midrange has completely sufficient detail and very good sonic accuracy. I did not notice any tubby vocals, smeary piano or bloated horns in the midrange. As usual, Paradigm drivers are free from most distortion modes and cabinets are sturdy. The only factor I found lacking in the Studio 60 v3 (esp at it $2K price point) was the lack of truly low bass. The only moderating comment I could offer AFTER my auditioning was done, was that I didn't get to Bi-Wire the Studio 60 for a fair audition. This is ULTRA important on Paradigm's upper models. Still, I'd be concerned that a 7" driver in a 2.5 way configuration, even with a generous cabinet volume will ever give you satisfactory low bass punch. There would be other speakers in this price range well worth auditioning. I'll tell you one sonic BARGAIN in the Paradigm line up that I'm getting this summer. The Monitor 5 v3, bi-wired with Straight Wire Sextet and Symphony cables produced a sound for under $1000 that was easily the rival of my old Thiels, and in many way surpassed them. Spend your speaker dollars wisely!
You probably wouldn't notice much difference at all between various versions. The v2 models are being cleared out at reasonable prices though.

Unregistered guest
Hehehehehe Chico, man I hear ya. 7" woofers usually equate to lacking bass. Gotta tell ya though, I was not only impressed, but STUNNED by the overall sound and bass of the Green Mountain Audio Europa with a 6" woofer! I mean REAL bass, too. In fact, I compared them side by side with the entire Paradigm line, and not even the Ref studio 100's came close. They also bested my old ADS L-1290's with dual 8.3" woofers/cabinet. It's all in the designers ability to make it work, my friend. If you ever get a chance to listen to the GMA's, do it. For $880.00/pair, they are, without question, audio's best bargain.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 482
Alejandro--

One can often buy new Paradigm speakers at up to 20% off list. If you want to spend less, try going to audiogon.com and look at the speaker classifieds. You will often find some very good deals.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Mauimusicman - I agree with you on two things. Firstly, I remember when ADS were THE speakers to have. I liked them. Secondly, the Paradigm Studio Ref 100s (version 1,2,3) have never appealed to me. In reviewing my recent audition notes about version 2 and 3, I didn't write favorable things about their soundstage, driver-to-driver control and found them overall to be unconvincing. This in disagreement with their overall rave reviews in some magzines and consumer circles. They are aplenty for sale on e-bay and audiogon. I'd like to hear the Audio Europas, but don't see any local dealers.

ChrisAG
Unregistered guest
I almost bought the 60's but strangely enough preferred the sound of the Mordaunt-Short 906. The bonus was that the MS cost less.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
I'm not at all surprised you like the Avant 906 3-way better than the 2.5 way Paradigm 60's. MS is a very good British speaker and they have good cabinets and good drivers. MS has always differed in their speaker cone/driver design and the results are impressive. I heard the MS just briefly when listening to some Wharfedales and they were clear, natural and nicely detailed. Plus, MS is keeping their speakers competitive price wise, as British speakers can get spendy. The Paradigm 60's are good but can be easily outclassed by a proper 3 way design (my preference is for a classic 3 way) and those smooth MS tweeters! Do you notice how stiff the driver material is on MS?

ChrisAG
Unregistered guest
Yes, they use some sort of aluminum alloy I believe for the drivers.

I have the "classic 906," not the newer Avant model, with a Marantz SR6200. They sound great, though obviously not as good as when I auditioned them at the dealer with a 200wpc Anthem amp :^)

They had so much clean bass with that amp... must get more power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us