SETTON AMP can I make it a PRE-AMP ???

Username: Jim1969

Post Number: 2
Hi
I have a NAD 1240 Pre and 2140 Amp (also a H-K Pa2000) that randomly drops the left channel volume to a whisper. If I shut it down for say an hour or overnight both channels play fine until it happens again. This happens with both amps - LEFT CHANNEL.

I assumed it was the pre-amp so I purchased an AudioSource pre-one. Low and Behold same thing occured after a few hours of play!!! (same with both amps) I also swithched speakers but they were OK.

I am totally confused and frustrated. ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6436

Obviously the next question is; does this happen on all input sources? Tuner? Phono? CD? Have you tried switching the interconnects?

ChrisC
Unregistered guest
jimcat

I have the exact same problem with my 1240 and had it looked at by an authorized NAD reseller and they could not replicate the problem. For me, I crank the volume on the left channel until the sound kicks in. The problem is this only works if I want to listen at higher volumes and the fix is only temporary and it does occur with different input sources.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6773

This symptom is often indicating a cold solder joint somewhere. Unfortuantely, it could be anywhere in the amplifier and this type problem is among the most difficult to find and repair. Sorry I can't be of more help. The best approach is to begin a log of when and how the problem occurs and is temporarily solved. If a pattern emerges, take that along with any source material that might be implicated back to the erpair shop.

ChrisC
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the input. I was thinking it was the preamp that was the cause of the problems. If you are suggesting it is the AMP which is a NAD2200PE, then perhaps I should have this looked at. I only brought in my preamp for service. I assumed the AMP was fine...perhaps the cold solder joint is in the 2200PE.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us