Bose 201/301

Username: Farmergoggin

Post Number: 2
hi i would i link these speakers to my tv as i have not got clue? Also do you think there would be any differnce between the 201 and 301 bose speakers?

thanks

chris

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 302
um....

there is a difference between the 201 and 301:

the 201 is a 2 way with a 6.5 inch woofer.
the 301 is a 2 way 2 tweeter speaker with an 8 inch woofer.

There are much better options than bose in the same price range.

Can you re-word that post and let me know what you plan on doing with the speakers? If you havent bought them, YOU CAN DO MUCH BETTER.

Post Number: 3
yer sure what i would like to is just link them up to my tv so i can have better sound output. Or even a 2.1 system with decorder so i can get dobly.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 306
no... I meant do you already have the speakers? Or are you looking for speakers..

Post Number: 4
no i am just looking

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 730
Here's a good review of Bose products. Maybe not the same exact speaker, but Bose none the less.

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Bronze Member
Username: Fps_dean

Williamstown, MA USA

Post Number: 45
I thought the 201s had real poor clarity and way too much of a certain upper midrange and not enough of anything else. The 301s were not much better. I played them back to back with Infinity Primus 150s (which are cheaper) and there was absolutely no comparison. The only thing that the Bose had going for it was that it may have had slightly lower lows, but I couldn't even tell because all I heard was this painfull boost in an upper midrange frequency that hurts my ear.

Bronze Member

Williamstown, MA USA

Post Number: 47
Hey chris check out these speakers. As long as they work like the guy says they do, I will vouch that they are much better than the Bose 301s and also worth every penny of $75 after shipping - in fact I doubt you will find a better speaker new for at least 3 times the price!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5825010533&fromMakeTrack= true

I have been using a pair of them for a few years now. I already reviewed these ones today but I'll sum it up again for you.. :-)

My father bought himself a pair of Boston Acoustics A70s partially because he got a good price on them, but he looked into Boston Acoustics because they were rated really high for the price and size.

They have a low driver and a tweeter. There is no real midrange driver, but the drop in midrange is fairly smooth so it is very listenable. There is nothing harsh about the sound of these speakers. They are not the greatest speakers out there, but they probably are for $75! They are a massive upgrade from the Bose 310s!

Bronze Member

Williamstown, MA USA

Post Number: 48
Oh and one more thing... if you're looking for a decent stereo set (as for some reason I get the impression you are), you can actually buy cheap used older receivers for next to nothing that will more than do the trick if it is for a TV. If not, $300 will buy you a decent stereo receiver (expect to pay a lot more for a decent surround receiver though!).

Username: Ptarmigan

Post Number: 6
Have you ever looked at the drivers on Bose speakers? The last time I checked they were paper. That's 1950s technology. The drivers probably cost Bose $2 to $5. Look at the lists for a speaker driver website, such as Zalytron. (Hmmm, they used to have the cheap Pioneer drivers listed - many for less than $5.)
The Bose have a bright, forward sound that sounds impressive to people who have never heard real hifi. How good can speakers be that pay their salespeople a commission of 50 percent of the sales price?
Go listen to some really good speakers so you will have a point of reference. Then look around. There are some very good speakers for less than $300 or even $200 speakers, if you know what to listen for.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us