HELP! Is the Mcintosh 1700 a good receiver?

Username: Fps_dean

Post Number: 1
I have the chance to get a Mcintosh 1700 for about $400. Is this a total steal, good buy or about all it's worth.

Basically... how good of a unit is it? I know Mcintosh makes some really good stereo amps and receivers...

Anonymous

oh, it's not too bad...HEH!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6404

You might as well ask whether a 1967 Corvette for $400 is a good deal. It all depends on what you get for your $400. When a piece of audio equipment is that old, the condition can be anywhere from exceptional to a basket case. Value is then based on the condition rather than just what the product is. Power supply caps should be replaced about every 25-30 years. If that hasn't been done recently with this unit, you will probably have to perform that job either yourself or at the cost of a technician doing the work.

McIntosh is McIntosh. The sound has remained very consistent over the years and if you hear Mac now and like the sound, then you will find most of that intact in a restored 1700. If you prefer the sound of a bright Japanese receiver, you might not even like the Mac sound. While McIntosh is a great product and has been for over fifty years, the sound of the equipment is what you should be interested in knowing about.

Ultimately, this is probably "free hifi". Buy it and try it. As long as no major repairs come along while you own it, if you don't care for the sound, you can resell the amp for what you paid for it.

Post Number: 2
I missed the end of the bid by 15 minutes. Overslept. I can't really afford it, but I would love to upgrade the Philips I have now. I am guessing it is a very late 70s or early 80s, 60 watt "High Fidelity Laboratories Receiver." It does not have a model number on it unless it's on the back and I missed it, but for some reason I keep thinking it is a 1979 and I don't know why.

I read that the 1700 was their first solid state made at a time when most people didn't know what they are doing. But I read some people's reviews of theirs on some forums and they all seemed to like them as much as any other mcintosh.

I heard a MA6900 or a MA6500 (I think it was a 900!) at a local store and it sounded amazing! It did not sound like one of those cheap receivers that boost the low end and high end to try to please idiots who play rap music as loud as they can with the bass turned up so loud the speakers distort.

If I can get a MAC 1700 or a MAC 1500 for a price I could afford and it sounds like that, that would be a dream come true! I've even heard some people swear by the old tube mcintosh units.

Post Number: 3
I have a chance to get a MAC 1900 for $350. Is that just as good?

Post Number: 4
I found a much better deal for a Mac 1900. It will run me approx. $420 after shipping, but the condition of the unit is near mint, and if what the seller said is true (it sat around for years), the only thing I will have to do is blow some dust off it.

Post Number: 5
I should add that this is cool because my uncle gave me some Infinity Column IIs a few years back. My Philips does not have enough power for them, so I let my father use them and I got his Boston Acoustics (which are decent speakers but not great speakers!).

Even though the Philips I believe is rated at 60 watts (that or 40, I forget), I believe this MAC 1900 will handle them just fine as the minimum power output is 55 watts/channel through 8 ohms!

Sweet! I hope this thing has not already sold!

Bronze Member

Williamstown, MA USA

Post Number: 39
I got the MAC 1900 on the way! Sweet!

Unregistered guest
The MAC 1700 is great. I personally like the sound of the older amps, expecially connected to an old set of AR speakers. I got a mint unit for $35.00 at a flea market. I knew it was a steal, but WOW!!.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us