Good reciever on a budget

Username: Personwholives

Post Number: 1
I've been looking to set up a good stereo in my living room for a while, and when a set of Polk LS-50s and a CS-150 dropped into my lap, i decided it was time to start setting it up. But, I don't have a reciever, and not much of an idea of where to start on one. I'm also not looking to spend too much, probably around $150-200. I want something that I can use with my existing TV and dvd player, and something with easy to access front inputs would be nice so I can hook my laptop up to it easily, if I am so inclined. Any suggestions for specific models to look at?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2679
Panasonic sa-xr55...read through all the threads on it here. Under $200 shipped from amazon.com if you get the Amazon credit card (free) otherwise $228 shipped.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2035
Buy whatever's cheapest. It's an ipod world and no one listens anymore, so why not.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 463
i love my SA-XR55. it walks all over my NAD and Onkyo recievers. it has tons of detail, no grain and makes midrange (vocals) sound awesome. had i known that it would make the speakers that i thought i was going to replace sound so good, i would have spent $50 more for the SA-XR70 instead for it's HDMI input for high-rez digital down the road.

i hope you're being sarcastic Art. LOL some of us have nothing but contempt for MP3 and will NEVER allow it to pollute anything in our lives. uncompressed WAVs are ok though.

MP3s are the reason that SACD and DVD-A never caught on. that, and greedy record companies charging way too much for crappy radio forcefed one good song per $17 CD.

$7.98 records cost like 10x what CDs do to produce. lower cost AND raise prices at the same time. i don't blame people for pirating tracks, but if you're going to do it... for pete's sake do it at full fidelity! LOL

panasonic class-d recievers, cheap and awesome sounding. their 2 channel to surround processing is excellent too.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2037
It would have been sarcasm until I gave the Panny a second and more thorough listen.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2684
btw Art, what would you recommend instead of the Panny for $200 since that's the original poster's question?

Only thing I can think of is a refurb Onkyo 502 or some entry level Sony...now surely you don't hate the Panny THAT much do you? : )

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2039
HK AVR 135 at $250-300 shipped.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2685
I think the 135 is closer to $300 shipped unless you're buying an eBay refurb.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=4540110&search=harman+ka rdon+avr-135

And the OP did say "$150-200."

I know, I know, you're gonna say "but the HK is worth the extra money." : )

Username: Personwholives

Post Number: 2
well, thanks for the advice guys. I'm still not sure what I'll be picking up yet, but that gives me a good place to start.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2044
Hey Eddie you reached over $200 first, I just followed. It's worth the extra money. See, you know me so well. :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2692
LOL!

Bronze Member
Username: Jet2001

Post Number: 75
you'll need some power to drive those ls-50's...save your money and buy something that will do your speakers justice. I believe they are 4 ohm speakers...the current lsi series is which makes me believe that the older models would as well.

Does that Panny have pre-outs? If so, it would be a great buy that could be turned into a pre-amplifier when you have more cash.

Bronze Member
Username: Jet2001

Post Number: 76
the ls-50's are an 8 ohm speaker...my mistake.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2052
The HK's and Yammies have pre outs. It's a good thing in the case of the Yammies as they need all the help they can get with power.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2700
jet,

nope no pre-outs on the Panny...that would pretty much defeat its digital PWM advantage. It has plenty of power for most uses anyways, easily surpassing my NAD separates which are fully 4 ohm capable.

Random
Unregistered guest
Refurb and/or H/K 130 perhaps, Onkyo 502/601 (or better), Pioneer VSX 912 (or better).

Can you get an Pioneer Elite (older) in that range? Or something by Marantz perhaps?

Whatever the case may be, try to find something with the features you want. In this price range there are many options that will end up sounding about the same . . .

Username: Altern8

Post Number: 3
ok, I just got the panny sa-xr-55k. I do like this amp and am glad that it will get a little less bright. one thing i dont understand is why the factory presets on the EFFECT are at a full 7, it sounds all echo'y, i like it at 1, is there any reason for this EFFECT? There is another thing i am worried about, when my panny is in standby mode(off) it has a very high pitched tone comeing out of the reciever itself, you may have to put your ear right up to a vent, have either of you experienced this. Im thinking of returning it because i can forsee it getting worse. also what is a reasonable numarical volume for your amp, im running 120w jvc satalites? it seems as though i have to turn it up awful high to get it loud enough, around -29

Post Number: 4
I realy just want a response from anyone who has a panny sa-xr55k on the high pitched tone issue in the above question.
-thankyou

Bronze Member
Username: Paul98

Post Number: 65
"ok, I just got the panny sa-xr-55k. I do like this amp and am glad that it will get a little less bright."

Yeah me too, though right now I have the trebble turned down a notch or two and it sounds great.

"one thing i dont understand is why the factory presets on the EFFECT are at a full 7, it sounds all echo'y, i like it at 1, is there any reason for this EFFECT?"

I am not sure what you mean by that? I haven't tried the effect setting so I can't comment.

"There is another thing i am worried about, when my panny is in standby mode(off) it has a very high pitched tone comeing out of the reciever itself, you may have to put your ear right up to a vent, have either of you experienced this. Im thinking of returning it because i can forsee it getting worse."

I do get a high pitch whine when mine is on at certain volumes, like at 43, and 42, then again around 33. It used to have that problem at more volumes but not any more. I hope it continues to get better. But mine is dead quite when it's off, you might want to check the power outlet your plugged into and see if your getting any feedback from that.

"also what is a reasonable numarical volume for your amp, im running 120w jvc satalites? it seems as though i have to turn it up awful high to get it loud enough, around -29"

That really depends on the source, some sources to get it decently loud I need to turn it up to -30 or higher. Others are fine at -47 or -40. It really just depends on what source I am listening to.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2704
Nate,

I've never experienced any whining noises from my xr55 so it's possible you have a defective unit.

As for brightness, I suspect that's mainly your JVC satellites showing themselves...I've always advised people that if you have speakers with weak mids and exaggerated highs, the incredible detail of the Panny is bound to make them sound even brighter. Yes, lower the treble settings as Paul said but also put aside some money for better speakers. Satellites might be sorta OK for HT but God help you if you use them for music listening.

Volume: check your satellites' sensitivity and impedance numbers. I have Ascend 340s (www.ascendacoustics.com) which are 8 ohms and 92db sensitivity and easily hit 80db with the volume on -40 which is comfortably loud, so I don't think the Panny suffers from any lack of power---it actually outpowered my NAD separates without breaking a sweat! The Ascends are a famously neutral speaker, so they work beautifully with the Panny---gorgeous detail but never any harshness or brightness.

Bronze Member
Username: Paul98

Post Number: 66
I am going to have to agree that the panasonic sounds bright on speakers that don't have enough mid range to go with the highs. My RT2000's sound bright with the XR55, but my LSi's sound amazing not bright at all simply clear and realistic sounding. I am really looking forward to trying my brothers definitive BP10's with this receiver.

With the other receivers I tried the Pioneer made all my speakers sound bright, my kenwood didn't too much but i could still tell the RT2000's were a little week in the midrange compaired to the LSi's. Then the HK made them all sound good, though the difference between the LSi's and RT line wasn't there like it is now. I think that the HK basicly raised the midrange to give it a much warmer sound. Which didn't make the LSi's sound any better than they did on my much cheaper kenwood. I think I am going to be replacing my RT's, or keep them in my bedroom with my old receiver. Now I have to decide which way I want to go on speakers. I might replace my entire front stage, and keep my surrounds. Or get a couple of LSi7's or 9's... I think I am going to have to try out some more speakers now.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2711
Paul,

so the Panny didn't hiccup with your 4-ohm LSi's huh? That's what I thought, in fact today I just read that a German magazine benchtested the xr55 on a 4 ohm load and found that it more or less DOUBLED its wattage...very very good sign for any amp.

What you are saying about the HKs apparently having a raised midrange makes a lot of sense.

BTW, are you willing to try out Internet-direct speakers? I'd love to hear how you find the Ascends compared to your LSi's.

Silver Member

Post Number: 486
my panny never makes any noise when it's urned off, but the "click click click" switching noise it makes with every layer switch on a DVD before a film starts is annoying. LOL
perviews *click*
fbi warning *click*
main menu *click*
THX promo *click*
20th century fox logo *click*

then it shuts up.

it's good to see that 2-3 other people are joining the panny camp. if you like what you hear... spread the word. i do.

Silver Member

Post Number: 487
the "effects" (cheesy reverbs) on the panasonic pretty much suck. it's probably just a feature they added because it was easy to do and most consumers are impressed with more features. "oooh those shiny buttons and blinking lights sure do look purdy"

the surround modes etc. can stand some tweeking too, but once you get everything dialed in properly, it sounds good. just make sure that you don't accidently hit remaster when you try to turn your surrounds off. considering where panasonic placed the button, it's an accident waiting to happen. i'd rather they put dynamic range compression on the remote instead anyways. i never use remaster. buh bye effects... hello late night listening. (my onkyo worked the same way too for some reason)

i like everything "flat" well enough.

remaster can make have everything sound bright and you might not even realize it's even on. i've become obsessive about checking it after finding it on 2 once. LOL

Post Number: 6
BM, how do you have your panny hooked up, because mine doesnt click without me pushing a button. I have mine hooked up three rca
styly, left right and video.

Silver Member

Post Number: 493
no... i'm sending my panny digital in via coax. it's clicking because it's trying to lock on to the digital signal. it's the same reason that the first second of a music CD that you play on a reciever when you're using digital in gets clipped.

get a cheap video cable and connect it to the digital out of your DVD player and dedicate one of your reciever's coaxial digital ins to the DVD player and then switch back and forth between the analogue ins and the digital in. i bet you a nickel that the coax in sounds better. use that video cable as a digital cable.

i have an onkyo DVD player and my old reciever was an onkyo from the same year, so i bet they both used the same D/A converters. even with $35 monster cables running analogue into my CD in, my $2 video cable sounded a little better sending digital. besides... digital in lets you do TRUE surround sound instead of an approximation out of 2 channels.

from what i've read, panny recievers digitize analogue ins unlike typical recievers, so sending your DVDs in via analogue is adding extra D/A conversion distortion i bet. you owe it to yourself to give your panasonic's D/A converters a chance. they sound silky smoth with digital in.

switch your video cable to the coax digital jacks and listen back and forth between analogue and digital in and tell me what you hear. i bet it will sound alot better. you'll also hear MUCH better surround on DVDs. i guarantee that. DVDs send FIVE seperate channels via digital. L/R front and rears and a center channel.

i bet a nickel you'll be buying another video cable soon.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us