Amp Setup Question

L. Streich
Unregistered guest
I have 2 floorstanding speakers with max 250w. I have a 2 channel receiver that puts out 100w per channel. The question i have is how do i add more watts to my speaker. They can handle 250 but i am only putting out 100w. Is there anyway i can add an amp to the setup? The setup is strictly for playing music off my computer. if this is possible what type of amp or brands?
thanks for the help!

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 172
You say your speakers are 250w max. Now that's not a continous power rating. It means it can handle peaks (or short bursts) to that point.

Is your receiver rated 100watts rms at 8 ohms and what is the impedence of your speakers?

L. Streich
Unregistered guest
Yes the reviever is 100 watts at 8 ohms and the speakers are 250 watt max at 8 ohms.

Bronze Member
Username: Lockaudio801

Post Number: 91
The simplest way is to buy a bigger rated amp or receiver to as you say put more power in terms of watts to suit your speakers. However the logical way is to merely increase the throttle on your volume control don't go to far though you might clip the receiver which may cause damage to your speakers.

Unregistered guest
you can hook your amp up to a dual 7 band graphic eq and hook the am and fm stero tuner to the dual 7 band eq the qu i have boost my amplifier 100 watts my amplifer is 400 watts rms now it is 500 watts rms a channel at 8 ohms my speakers are 8-ohms 500 watts each on the speakers i could go

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
mb,

That eq is provided to customize frequencies to suit your room conditions. If a particular frequency is boosted it naturally would give us an impression more watts are coming out of the amp. For my information can you tell me how you were able to determine your 400 watts amp is now juicing up 500 watts? Does the eq have an indicator showing the increase in wattage at a particular impedance load from your speakers? Because following your line of suggestion if I had a modest 30W amp all I now have to do is get an eq then I would have upgraded considerably at such a very low cost right? And please share how things sounded after using the eq. Was it all slam or the increase in the frequencies created a more balanced and smoother outcome? Thanks and hope to get your inputs.

lorenzo

mb
Unregistered guest
..CONTINUED.. firs off on the back of my dual 7 band eq it says it boost it 100 watts rms my amp says it is 400 watts rms a channel at 8 ohms it is a 2 hannel kenwood stero amplifier my amplifier has bass and trable knobs that can go nagitive and positive and on normal and my amplifier hass subsonic on and off and loudness on and off and mm and mc on and off and lign strait on and off my eq has bosst and negative - 6 db plus 12db on each band and normal on each band and equlizer on and of and in-put on and og and power on and off my am and fm stero tuner is a kenwoo model kt-5500 my amplifier is a kenwoo ka 880d interated stero amplifier my eq is a sansht se-1000 stero graphic eq

mb
Unregistered guest
...continued part 2 ... because 100 watts rms pluse 400 watts rms = 500 watts rms at 8-ohkms my speakers are 8-ohms frequenct responce 20 to 20,000 hz. on eq unswitched 100 watts max 110~220 volts my amplifier is 5.5 amps 110 volts 50/60 hz.

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
mb,

The 100 watts you see at the back of your equalizer pertains to the filter / amplifier of the equalizer itself. In this case you have two sets of filter / amplifier one for each channel of your stereo system.

Your equalizer is an outbord device used to boost whichever frequency you may need to in the audio spectrum. It has it's own slider type gain controls to boost the given frequency. In this regard it does not mean that in doing so you have increased the 400 watts rating of your amplifier by using it. FYI

swampcat
Unregistered guest
an Eq boosts or cuts certian frequencies at designated points. Your supposed to match sound level from EQ setting and non EQ setting as closely as possible. Your output power never changes. Its the same as turning your tone controls to the full position. If anything you'll ruin your sound and drive amp into clipping wich will destroy your speakers. Clipping your amp is much worse than over powering. Another thing if your speakers are rated at 250 watts max thats probably peak.The 100 watts rms output is probably as high as you would want to go anyway.

BIG
Unregistered guest
I have recently bought 2 vibe space 12" subs that are both 600 watts rms each and together 1200 watts rms. Could any one suggest what amp I should consider using with these subs. Also what power rating amps I should be looking at. Price isn't a factor

Username: Zman

Post Number: 1
I have two amps I'm trying to hook up with two 12" subs and four speakers The first amp is a 800 watt 2 channel and the 2nd is a 400 watt 4 channel . How do I hook something up like that. The stereo is a 50 watt 2 channel pieneer.If you could help me out it would be so great.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us