B&W 602 S3, Marantz SR-7400 or NAD -T743

Shankar
Unregistered guest
I am trying to put a reasonable home theatre system with Good perfromance on music and acceptable performance for movies. I use to have B&W 602 S2 for front and rear and bose for center all powered by Yamaha RXV-595A. Now I am relocated and tryin to put a similar system. I decided B&W 602 S3 for front, I need help on the receiver and on sorround speakersthat match the B&W. I use the system for 70% music and 30% movies. I got a Denon AVR-1804 and the BW front speakers yesterday, I am not impressed with the performance of denon, especially the Bass part of it. With my old yamaha I never felt I needed a sub, but with denon... IS there any other receiver that you can recommend under 800$... I am currently loooking into NAD T743, Marnatz SR 7400. I am so confused any recommendation is welcome

Username: Markusp

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 2
Hi Shankar. By coincidence, I have the Yamaha RXV-595a and the Marantz sr7300 as well as B&W 602 s3 speakers. The Marantz is a wonderful receiver that outputs a warm sound and the B&W speakers are great and sound warm as well. The problem I have with my setup is that when I pair up the 2 together (Marantz and B&W), my music and movies lack life (my room acoustics are also a problem) but when I use my B&Ws with the new Yamaha rx-v1400 that I demoing, everything seems to have more life and sparkle. Talking to a few of my local hifi dealers, they seem to feel the problem lies with matching a warm sounding receiver with warm sounding speakers. The end result will typically be lifeless. Aparently you should try to mix up the ingredients a bit to get dynamic and involving sound such as matching a warm receiver with lively speakers etc. I liked my previous RXV-595a quite a bit but felt it could sound a little strained and bright - it never failed to deliver excitement though. The new rx-v1400 is a different animal all together - it never sounds strained or bright, although it is more forward sounding than the Marantz. So far I am enjoying the experience. If I keep the new Yamaha, I will have to sell my Marantz which will be a sad event indeed. On the other hand, I may just sell my speakers and keep the Marantz.

Good luck.

Mark

Bronze Member
Username: Sulfur

Post Number: 17
If you want to stick with B&W for timbre match & the same look, consider 600 S3 or maybe the slightly more expensive 601 S3 as surrounds. I didn't like the 303 that much & you don't save that much over the 600 anyways.

Not that there's anything wrong with mixing brands, if you do choose properly. :P

BTW using 603/601/LCR600 with Marantz 7300ose & loving it!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us