Speaker connections-Woofer + Doldby Surrond?

Username: Bartleandy

Post Number: 3
Hello,

My Amp does not have a sub woofer output. Is it OK to connect the woofer to the Left and Right speaker outputs?

Also my amp has the option of connecting two speakers as Dolby surround. I am just confused about what this means? Do I need some sort of special speaker to connect to these outputs? Would it be OK to connect my sub woofer or normal speakers to these outputs?

Thanks for your help!
P.S. If anyone can be bothered to educate a novice :-) what is the difference between an amp a pre-amp and a receiver??

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6240

I think you'll find the answer to your last question in this location:

http://eli47.tripod.com/audiogloss.html

If your amplifier has a common ground between the two channels (most do), you can hook the sub to both speaker outputs.

Concerning the Dolby output, I think we'll need more information before we can give any particular answer to your questions. A model number and manufacturer would be the least you should provide and a link to a picture of the rear of the unit would be nice.

You will not hook the sub to the Dolby Surround outputs. Normally any speaker should work with the outputs, but it would be nice to know more about the amplifier before assuming too much. The information you need should be in your owner's manual.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 450
some subwoofers have speaker level inputs where you can send your reciever's stereo amp signals in and then back out to your speakers and have your sub track your volume if you don't have a dedicated line level (preferred) output for your sub. most surround recievers do have subwoofer outputs though. subs are what the ".1" is when you see 5.1 & 7.1 etc.

if you had a sub that doesn't do speaker level in, you could either get cheap step down units that convert speaker level to line level, or run your sub off of your tape out, but then you'd need to adjust your sub's volume every time you change your speaker volume seperately.

Username: Bartleandy

Post Number: 4
Hi, thanks for your replies.

My amp is actually a receiver sorry. Kenwood Audio-Video Stereo Receiver KR-V7020. I can't find any details about it online but it is: 100w/per channel and 4 - 16ohms impedance. I have not set it up for as a visual receiver; I just have it plugged into my computer from where I play my music.

I have uploaded a diagram from the manual, of the reverse here: http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/bartlema/amp.jpg

From your responses it will obviously depend on the type of sub I buy. However it appears I will be able to find a way to connect any sub. Would it make a difference if it is passive or powered?

Regarding Dolby surround, they are the speakers in the top right of the diagram labeled (a bit blurry) surround. The website Jan gave me says this: Dolby Surround: A system developed for movie theaters, now available in add-on home components, and in some audio/video receivers, that adds two more audio channels (center, front and rear) to the ordinary right and left stereo channels. To derive the extra channels, a Dolby Surround decoder adds the left- and right-channel signals together for the center-front channel and subtracts them from each other for the rear channel, usually sent to two rear speakers.

Reading this I think it means that I should connect my two rear speakers to the surround outlets for the best sound. Would this be correct? Should the surround change the frequencies coming out of the speakers? (My rear speakers have some nice subs that I don't want to be limited).

Thanks again for your help!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6286

Connect rear speakers to the surround speaker outputs. There should be no change in frequency depending on the surround format you employ. Dolby Pro Logic is limited in the rears to about 100Hz. Dolby Digital is full range. A powered sub is probably the better choice.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 461
yes... if you can get away with using one, powered subs are generally better. they offer more power to your bass without taxing your HT reciever and further, don't add extra speaker level crossovers (line level crossovers sound better) and are easier to adjust for volume and crossover frequency.

try to find a sub with a "continuously variable crossover" that lets you fine tune your crossover frequency instead of one that offers you choices like 50Hz/70Hz/100Hz/150Hz as your mains might need re-enforcement between the fixed crossover frequencies. when you can fine tune your x-over frequency, you can better mate to your speakers without boomy peaks or holes in your EQ.

a passive sub should only be used if you absolutely can't avoid it. some of them are very limited in what you can adjust.

a powered sub with speaker level inputs would be better than that, but a powered sub that gets it's signal from a reciever's sub (or preamp) outs is the best for sound quality and tweakability.

Bill A. from PA
Unregistered guest
A simple question from a beginner. I just received my powered subwoofer amp back from the supplier and have to connect the two blade terminals back to the speaker (red/black)I should have paid closer attention when I disconnected it and I thought I did but now i AM not sure which wire to connect to which side. I thought the red was on the right (looking from he rear) but I am not sure. Of course they are closed for the weekend now. Does it matter? Am I correct. Both wires on the speaker itself are black

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6472

Use a short length of speaker cable and a 9 volt battery. Touch the two legs of the cable to the two terminals of the battery and then to the speaker's terminals. When the positive of the battery is connected to the positive of the speaker, the driver will move forward in its suspension.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 258
As always, valuable info from Jan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us