Inputs for choosing speakers for my Yamaha RXV 650

Unregistered guest
I have bought the receiver RXV 650. I dont have much technical knowledge about speakers.

Please guide what speakers should I look for and also what should I see before buying any speakers.

Gvenk
Unregistered guest
No meaningful answer can be given without your preference for sound and music. People saying I have X and I like it is not useful without that preference.

Go to a couple of audio stores and listen to as many speakers as you can of music/video you like in the same set up. Make a note of which ones you like the most without thinking too much about it (just make sure, all tone controls are neutral and the sales droids keep the volumes at the same level, they have been known to increase volumes for higher-margin speakers to influence).

If you come back and tell us which ones you liked and which ones you didn't then people may be able to suggest better values or alternatives to the ones you heard for your receiver.

It would also depend on how big a room you have and how much space you have for the speakers and most important how much money you have to spend on the speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Alphabet

Cape TownSouth Africa

Post Number: 46
Apparently the KEF Q-series combines well with the 650. B&W is also not a bad combination, but unless you prefer a overly bright sound, stay away from Accoustic Energy speakers with the Yamaha.

However Gvenk's suggestion is very valid, you still have to listen to as many speakers as possible to form your own opinion.

Unregistered guest
Actually my confusion is regarding the wattage of speakers. Like while selecting speakers is there something I need to careful while selecting or not.

I did like the output of the speakers with YHT 360 of yamaha but it was 5.1 channels and rxv 650 is 7.1 channels. Now if a buy the ones which comes with YHT 360 will it be compatible with RXV 650.

Gvenk
Unregistered guest
Speakers usually have two numbers you should be aware of - nominal impedance and efficiency. With that receiver best to stick to 8ohms impedence speakers with efficiency of 88db (or more - higher the number the better the efficiency not necessarily better sounding).

Most speakers sold by Yamaha as individuals or sets will work with your receiver. In some ways it may be better to buy them as a matched set if you have a small budget because matching them from different makes and types will be difficult unless you have a pretty decent budget to give you choices.

You should also worry about whether you really need 7.1 (at least right away) and if you have the appropriate places to mount them. Without good placement, more speakers doesn't necessarily equate to better.

If you want a one-time low-moderate priced speaker set, then buy something that comes as 7.1. If you want to put different units together and have a budget in at least $1k-$2k range, start with 2.1 (and you have to go and listen to it after you have read some of the threads here in what people are recommending) and they you can add things later. No point in buying budget 5.1 speakers now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us