Oppo 971, Sony 975, Pany 97 ???

Username: Hadleyfarm

Massachusetts

Post Number: 2
Looking for inexpensive DVD player for a good reliable short term to play with new SXRD - I;ve identified these 3, any insights/advice/recomendations???

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 472
i've only just heard of Oppo after the ad and giveaway was posted here.

panasonic was the highest rated brand for reliability in a consumer review type article i read some 5 years or so back.

aside from that, the 97 has gotten great reviews for image quality. it has scored higher than more expensive units using one site's multi category "pass/fail" charts.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=123 #PanasonicDVD-S77%20(HDMI)
that was the cheaper 77

before that, i read someone mentioning it in another forum as a good investment. (i'm looking into the 77 which has the same circuitry with fewer features)

i know this, my panasonic SA-XR55 reciever spanks the crap out of me NAD and Onkyo units sonically. Panasonic might be making a play to become mainstream again and take some market share away from sony, onkyo, denon and yamaha.

i don't own a 97, but the 77 passed almost every test (except 1 or 2) where some $800 denons fail 4-5 categories.

sony is more about features than finess i'd say.

you could always register for the oppo giveaway. heck, i'm going to because my onkyo won't do CD-Rs and it would save me a couple hundred dollars.

i'm off to read what audioholics says about oppo now. definately use this site's handy review browsing feature at the top of the page if you haven't already. hmmmmmm. audioholics wasn't impressed.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us