Receiver Voltage compatibility for Yamaha receivers

Unregistered guest
I wish to buy a Yamaha receiver (RXV 650). Now currently I am in US and would be going back to India soon. Yamaha systems are not available back in India as per my knowledge.

Now in India we have 220 V(50 Hz) and PAL system for TV,cable. Now I wish to set up a complete Home theatre system which will have input from DVD, cable and finally output to TV. So the whole issue will the receiver work in India or not.

Please if anyone has any knowledge do get back to me. Its urgent.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6174

The step transformer required to go from 120/60 to 220/50 is difficult to find when you are talking about the amount of amperage a receiver requires. Manufacturers such as Yamaha will often produce receivers with internal power transformers that can be rewired by a technician to operate on various voltages. Yamaha is likely to be the only place to find whether the receiver you are interested in buying can be reconfigured in such manner. I would hestitate before I made such a purchase though, even if the transformer can be rewired. If Yamaha is not available in India, what will you do if the unit should require service? This could turn into either a very expensive and lengthy shipping arrrangement to a Yamaha service center outside of India or the Yamaha receiver could turn into a very expensive paper weight. I think I would look at a product I knew I could get serviced wherever I lived.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6175

Chetan - Posting this question in just one portion of the forum will get you the answer you desire.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6173

The step transformer required to go from 120/60 to 220/50 is difficult to find when you are talking about the amount of amperage a receiver requires. Manufacturers such as Yamaha will often produce receivers with internal power transformers that can be rewired by a technician to operate on various voltages. Yamaha is likely to be the only place to find whether the receiver you are interested in buying can be reconfigured in such manner. I would hestitate before I made such a purchase though, even if the transformer can be rewired. If Yamaha is not available in India, what will you do if the unit should require service? This could turn into either a very expensive and lengthy shipping arrrangement to a Yamaha service center outside of India or the Yamaha receiver could turn into a very expensive paper weight. I think I would look at a product I knew I could get serviced wherever I lived.

Unregistered guest
Yah what you are saying is correct though but there are some crazy music lovers like me who wish to listen to some good music.

So I really liked the Yamaha receivers so thought of just discussing if anyone else has taken it back to India and is using it. Well lets see if someone shares the experience regarding the same.

As of now even I have a negative thought abt me taking it back to india. In any case thanks for your input Jan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us