Does anyone have an opion on which is better.

Username: Kwwinfla

Largo, FL United States

Post Number: 4
PYRAMID PA1800X 1800W Power Amp DJ Amplifiers (900 Watts X 2 Into 8 Ohms (2 X 250 Watts Rms) · Bridgeable To 1800 Watts X 1 Into 8 Ohms · 1800 Watts X 2 Into 4 Ohms · Thd Better Than 0.05% · 4 Speaker Connectons Via Banana Plugs · Speakers A/B Selector · Dual Rca & Dual 1/4" Phone Inputs · Dual Led Level Meters · Separate Volume Control For Each Channel · Heavy Duty Fan Cooled Aluminum Heatsinks · Led Clipping Indicator · Led Protection Indicator · 110/220 Voltage Selector · Switched Ac Accessory Outlet · Rack Mountable W/Handles · Power On/Off Switch · Headphone Jack · For Use W/All Mixers, Pa Equipments, Home Audio)
or
GEMSOUND EXA3950 3000W Stereo Power Amplifier3000 Watts Stereo Power AmplifierFeatures: 1400W RMS @ 4 ohms bridged mono, 700W per channel RMS @ 4 ohms 350W per channel RMS at 8 ohms, Left-Right level controls, Ground lift, Inputs: 1/4" and Balanced XLR RCA, Outputs: Banana binding post, 1/4" & Speaker on, Protect LED, Peak LED, Fan cooled, Rack mountable, 115V/230V switchable.
Thanks for your time.
or
Gemini GXA-1600 Professional Amplifier
State of the art technology provides exceptional reliability when working with difficult speakers· Stable down to 2 ohm impedence· Excellent handling of low frequencies as well as clear mids and flawless highs· High output power to drive professional loudspeakers without distortion· Oversized toroidal transformer, filter and heatsinks for better low end, transparency and stability· Comprehensive protection circuitry (short, overheat, DC, subsonic and RF filters, turn-on delay) with high current speaker protection relays· Three modes of operation - stereo, parallel mono and mono bridge with mode status indication LED on front panel· Flexible input configuration with active balanced inputs; additional input connectors to chain amps· True clip LED for better control· Front-to-Rear airflow with 2 speed dual fan control· Efficient dual aluminum extrusion heatsink design for thermal stability and reliability· Turn-on in-rush current limiting circuitry· Compact 2U well balanced enclosure· Steel reinforced chassis construction for durability and longevity· SPECIFICATIONS· Output Power EIA: 1 kHz @ 1% THD· Single Channel 8W: 340· Both Channels Driven 8W: 300· Single Channel 4W: 600· Both Channels Driven 4W: 500· Single Channel 2W: 950· Both Channels Driven 2W: 800· Mono Bridge 8W 1000· Mono Bridge 4W 1600· Dynamic Headroom: 8W 1.3, 4W 2.1· Frequency Response: 20 Hz-20 kHz· Total Harmonic Distortion: less than 0.01% @ 1 kHz· Intermodulation Distortion: less than 0.02% (SMPTE)· Signal to Noise Ratio: 100 dB below rated power @ 8W· Damping Factor: greater than 800 @ 8W· Slew Rate: 16 V/mS· Voltage Gain: 33 dB· Input Sensitivity (for rated power at 8 Ohm): 1.1 VRMS· Input Impedance Unbalanced: 10 kOhms· Input Impedance Balanced: 20 kOhms· Power consumption: 1000 VA· Note: power consumption is given at rated power at 8W per channel, both channels driven.· AC Power Requirement:· (power connection is factory configured): 120V/ 60 Hz 230V/ 50 Hz· Indicators: 1 Power Indicator, 1 Signal LED per channel, 1 Clip LED per channel, 1 Protect LED per channel, 1 Mono LED, 1 Bridge LED· Cooling: 2 Speed Dual Fan; Front-to-Rear Forced Air· Protection: Short Circuit, DC, Thermal Cut-off, Sub/ultrasonic Frequency Filters, In-rush Current Limiter, Turn-on Delay, main fuse, secondary DC supply fuses· CONNECTIONS:· Balanced/Unbalanced Inputs: 1/4" TRS Jack· Balanced Inputs: XLR Female Jack· Speaker Outputs: Speakons (CH.A, CH.B and bridge)Gemini GXA16001 year warranty offered by Savinglots.comManufacturer's Warranty is not available on this item

nout
Unregistered guest
? beats me...

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 443
without looking the prices of all amps concerned up, once you get into the really high power range "cheap amp brands", well known and respected brands like crown, QSC and carver aren't that much more expensive.

my guess is that you're looking at $500+ amps. QSC and crown are available in that range and even lower if not at the same power levels you're seeking.

what do you need that much power for? are you a DJ?

Username: Kwwinfla

Largo, FL United States

Post Number: 5
I have 2 self built HT 12" - 350 watt sub woofers in 4 cubic foot boxes. i now have them driven by 2 old 100 watt per channel receiver amps. The guy in the speaker store where i bought them said they are being under driven and this why i'm getting some speaker excursion. he said they need to be driven by least 300 watts per speaker. i'm leaning towards the Gemini GXA-1600 Professional Amplifier for $325. what do you think?

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 454
i'd say it's overkill for a home system powerwise, but you're better off with more power than not enough.

you should have no problem whizzing neighbors off with that much power even with inefficient speakers.

one thing to double check though, make sure that the amp isn't fan cooled. fan noise would be really annoying in a home setup unless the amp is in another room. fan noise isn't much of an issue in clubs and stadiums where these high powered amps were designed for, but with that much power, you're going to have alot of heat to get rid of which makes fans likely.

that's why megabuck high powered krell amps are so huge and have massive heat sinks to get rid of the heat without noisy fans.

if the unit does have fans, i'd suggest going with a lower powered amp that is passively cooled. just 8dB of fan noise (not alot) means you need 4X the amp power to compensate and drown it out in theory.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us