Speaker sensitivity vs. quality

Username: Kidstereo

Post Number: 1
I am curious about one thing. For example, I found a Cerwin-vega speaker rated at 97 db sensitivity. Does this possibly mean that the tweeters and woofers are 97 db and the mid between 87 and 90 db, or am I wrong? If I am wrong, please explain otherwise.

Thats Blarney!
Unregistered guest
Uhh no...where did you get that from?

Sensitivity is the output in dB of a speaker when a 2.83 volt input is applied to it. This output typically varies by frequency. As a result the figure can be an average of multiple frequencies, or simply the highest response.

Thats Blarney!
Unregistered guest
Addition: The output is typically taken at 1 meter, on axis.

Silver Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 105
dunno about what he said, but really high sensitivity speakers are not always cracked up to be good. I think some of the older klipsch heresy speakers went over 100db in sensitivity and it took some pretty heavy duty equipment to properly run them.

Generally though, "good" speakers will have anywhere between 86 db-94 db sensitivity.

Devils Advocate
Unregistered guest
One can produce either a good or bad speaker with high sensitivity. The stat in and of itself doesn't tell you anything about the quality of the speaker. At the high end of the spectrum are speakers like the Klipschorn and at the low end are things like the aforementinoed CV.

Silver Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 113
yes, thats a good point too
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us