Arcam Diva CD-92 - Thoughts Anyone?

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 596
I have a handle on a used Arcam Diva CD-92 to put into a 2 channel set-up that I'm working on. The price is right. What are the pros and cons for this CDP from you folks that know. It will likely be paired with vintage tube amp and vintage Altec Lansing speakers in a 12 x 14 room that opens into a much larger living room. Hard wood floors, mostly covered with rugs.

As usual, your thoughts, comments and insights are welcome, in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1944
Can't say that I've heard that one but with tubes and some old Altecs (I had Altecs back in the 70's) it should sound pretty darn good. I included a little info on it for you to read at your leisure.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/digital-sources/cd-players/arcam/PRD_125581_1586c rx.aspx

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=1163

Silver Member

Post Number: 597
Art,

Thanks for the information. I had found the first link but not the second one. There are a few other reviews out there but not a ton of information on this CDP. I decided to go ahead with the purchase since the "more forward" presentation should be calmed somewhat by the tube amp and ALs.

The deciding factors were the comments about the "huge soundstage" and "great imaging" with crystal clear highs and great midrange, which meets my needs and my listening style. Most of my music just isn't real bass heavy and if the player has a weakness, that seems to be it.

However, for what I'm paying, I think I'm getting a real solid player that will work well for my use and is way out of my price range if purchased new obviously. So, with vintage equipment, it will still be the baby on the block. LOL Thanks for the extra effort in finding the articles. Dave.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1443
I'm sure you'll give us a review, right?

:-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1949
I ditto Peter.

Silver Member

Post Number: 606
Gentlemen,

You would do no less, so how can I refuse. Although, I'm thinking that system is probably a month out before it's up and running but I will have a sound meter by then, I promise, as I plan to do this 2 channel system right. Thanks all.

Silver Member

Post Number: 608
BTW Art,

I'm buying the CD-92 from a gentlemen in Portland, so it's got to be good, right?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1958
He probably bought it at Portland's exclusive Arcam dealer "Stereotypes".

Silver Member

Post Number: 609
Probably so, I'll check in my next email. Very nice guy and his name is "Eddie" so I'm still trying to figure out if he's replacing it with the Toshiba. LOL

Actually, it's in his "second" set-up, which he is selling so he can replace his first set-up and move all that gear into his other room. MUST BE NICE!

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2571
No, I didn't buy it at "Stereotypes" but yes, I am replacing it with the Toshiba 3980...ever heard of that? It's a real Linn-killer, and for just $60 too!

lol

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1960
ICK!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 610
DOUBLE ICK!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »