Is optical digital just like 2 ch. or is it surround, newbie here!

Username: Jamie52

Neptune, NJ

Post Number: 3
I am sorry if it sounds elementary but I need to know if i send a signal thru the optical output on my tv to my reciever is the sound going in as 2 ch. and the reciever breaks it up into 5.1 or does the tv send a signal just like what ever is put in (ex. hdmi ) not sure if my thinking is right or not please help!

Gvenk
Unregistered guest
Depends on the TV but most new TVs are capable of putting out the audio through the digital out as 2-ch PCM or multi-channel Dolby Digital for the receiver to do what it wants to. The newer TV menus will allow you to choose between the two.

The latter format is also compatible with 2-ch only receivers because they see the signal as 2-ch main L+R ignoring the surround channels. So you can always leave the setting there.

Typically newer receivers that support both will auto-detect which format is coming in but you should check the receiver menus/manual to make sure that no manual setting is necessary.

If the TV sends out 2-ch PCM then the receiver cannot create a 5.1 surround as in the original except for some simulated surround systems via artificial enhancements. The original surround information is not available in the 2-ch feed.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 602
Jamie,

I'm confused. Are you talking about a HDMI connection and a TV program that happens to be recorded in surround sound or are you talking about something coming from another source, like your DVD or CD or VCR player?

Also, it would be helpful to know how you have everything connected. I think Gvenk may be correct on the former but I'm not sure I understood the question.

Username: Jamie52

Neptune, NJ

Post Number: 4
ok I will tell you how i have it and how i wanted to do it. I have a Onkyo txsr702 reciever, and a Hitachi 50vs810. It has two hdmi inputs and three other inputs that can take composite,s video or reg. If i use one of the hdmi inputs it takes the place of the component inputs on the first and second spot. I wanted to send all the wires into the tv and send the sound out with the optical digital to the reciever hoping to get 5.1. the other way is to hook up two components to the reciever and send a signal to the tv. but my tv doesent have a component input. not sure what to do next.

Gvenk
Unregistered guest
My post above and the reply to your related post on JVC vs. HK along with reading the TV manual should cover your questions!

Unfortunately, your TV comes from the transition age where the marketing guys decided to put HDMI input and HDTV tuner inside (sounds great on paper) but no dolby or dts audio decoders! So all sound from the TV (whether from internal speakers or through the audio out) is stereo or simulated surround only!

So you cannot do what you have said above.

Your best choice is to forget HDMI for now (unless you get a receiver with HDMI in/out but see my caveats in the other thread on JVC. vs HK) and feed all sources to the a/v receiver via component/digital audio and then a single component input to the TV.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us