3 way crossover help

Bronze Member
Username: Aooo

Post Number: 91
Just got a pair of JBL TLX600 3way speakers used from a friend, the midrange is very soft compared to the woofer and tweeter.
I opened up the drivers and wire terminal and I found that the crossover has 2 coils 3 capacitors and 2 resistors.
I know the Capacitor and Coils are used for the High Pass Low Pass filters.
Are the resistors there for attenuation?
If I bypass the resistor that goes to the mid, will that provide me more power to the mid?
Another question please, the basic 3 way crossover design consists of 2 HP LP filters, Is there a band pass filter as well or is the unfiltered signal directed to the mid driver?
Thanks in advance for any help

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6114

The resistor is there for attentuation. Removing it will alter the relative level of all the drivers hooked to that resistor. There is usually no "band pass" in a typical three way Xo other than HP/LP.

You might want to experiment with speaker placement before you decide to disconnect Xo components. It is far more useful overall and is easier to correct if you don't like the results.

Bronze Member
Username: Aooo

Post Number: 92
Thanks Jan
Besides altering the relative level of the driver, No worries about it changing the cross frequency?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6120

Resistors don't do that.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1444
Yes they do.

You will likely switch the cross-over point by doing that.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6146

Peter - You're going to have to educate me regarding the type of network that would have this degree of simplicity and then use the resistor as anything other than a fixed L-pad, one each, for the mid and high frequency drivers. Any network I can think of where a resistor might (slightly) affect the way the Xo operates would likely be more complex than the six elements listed above.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us