Help: AV Receiver setup (both for stereo/movies) Marantz/HK/Denon/Pioneer ?

ipodpune
Unregistered guest
Hey all,

Im setting up my HT too.. But havent bought anything yet. Been going through the forum again and again & found lot of insights about things.

My take is 75/25 Music:Movies. So thinking of a very good stereo as well as Movies amp.

I would like to listen the music in a very tight bass. What do you think.. Marantz or HK or Pioneer the THX certified one.. which is very impressive by specs and cheap too (1014)

http://www.pioneer.com.sg/storefront/ProductDetail/prodDetailMCACC.asp?ProductId =42&CatId=64,9,17

Reg. speakers. I really dont know if Diamonds would gel with Marantz/HK. Thinking of 9.1 for fronts and mission m71i for my rears ( I think I could interchange the set up too later based on the fidelity).

Center I would be going with M 7C2. Not decided yet.. just fig. out combinations.

There are really very experienced ppl around here.. Im sure they would help me out in setting up my HT.

Do you have any suggestion, you guys seem to be a very exp. . I had been always with Sony this far.. really want to try out these stuffs.

My room is 12X14 ft and ceramic tiles flooring with one glass window. Presently Sony serves the purpose.. but I hate it.. these days..

Suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2527
For music SQ I would go either HK or Marantz, rather than Pioneer except for the Pioneer Elite series. Of course my first rec would be the all-digital Panny xr55 (see massive thread), at least do the Circuit City return policy thing with it.

When receiver shopping especially as a music listener, I wouldn't put much stock into gadget geek features (1001 DSP modes, 1001 formats/connections) and just focus on actual sound quality as per your ears.

THX certification is meaningless. My computer speaker system is THX certified and it still sounds like crap unless I EQ the hell out of them.

Auto EQ setup sounds great on paper but many people complain that it's not nearly as accurate as calibrating it manually with an Avia disk.

Any HK, Marantz, or the xr55 would be a huge improvement over your Sony but of at least equal or greater importance is your speakers so this is where the Panasonic's low pricetage comes in the most handy if it allows you to spend more on the speakers.

So what's your maximum overall budget?

ipopune
Unregistered guest
Hey Ed,

Thanks a lot man. My budget is round about $1300 and Im from Asia but we do get all the stuff out here but may be +15% on your tags.

So I really need to wrap everything in that budget.

So had been thinking about Marantz 4500 with Diamond 9.1 as fronts or Mission m71i and a very decent sub. and the other component of 5.1

I really dont know how good a mp3 would sound in this 5.1 setup. Do you suggest going for Sony Hi-fi setup.. which is good in stereo I guess.

Would appreciate if you could give me more options..

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2531
Good Lord, avoid Sony like the plague. The only things Sony still does well are TVs and digital cameras.

Marantz is very decent, too bad you're not in the US or I'd sell you my Marantz 5400, since I'm using the digital Panny instead. See if you can get a 5500, it is the replacement for both the 5400 and the 6400.

MP3 is never going to sound great, just ok, so keep your expectations realistic.

If you can't get any Internet-direct subwoofers where you are, look around for Velodynes. Any subwoofer-only maker is going to be a good bet.

ipodpune
Unregistered guest
Hey Ed, what about the new Marantz SR4600. Any experienced.. did anyone audition it.

Im thinking of going with SR4600 with the Mission Speaker setup (m71i, mission centre and rears). Sub thinking of Def Tech. any suggestions

Silver Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 103
Thats a good receiver from marantz. I ended up going with the pioneer elite vsx-52tx from ebay. I think you would really like the sound that the pioneer elite can offer.

Marantz on the lower end like the one you are talking about I have heard horror stories, but then I have also heard good things too.

For a sub there is no doubt in my mind to go with an Hsu subwoofer. Best boom for the buck.

I have never heard mission speakers before. Maybe you could post up some of their specs like the frequency and sensitivity.

Like Edster says, stay away from sony. Mp3 on stereo can either sound very good or plain poopy, depends on the recording of the mp3 and your equipment.

ipodpune
Unregistered guest
Hey Eric,

http://www.mission.co.uk/product/m70i/loudspeaker_m71i.htm

This has got all the details of the speakers that I have mentioned. Can I control the highs and lows in the Marantz SR4500 .. Because I might like some sound with a good bass and some with good treble..

Thanks !

Silver Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 116
wow looks very nice with some good specs.

You can control the treble and bass with any receiver though, not just marantz.

My elite allows me to go -6 to +6 db for treble and bass
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us