Speaker selector [monster cable]?

Username: Schmidr12

Post Number: 1
i bought a hk635 and a two infinity beta50 speakers [i will be adding more]. also got a 4 channel monster cable speaker selector from cc. i'm new to home audio and was wondering if the speaker selector was a good choice.

my reciever is rated at 75 wattsx7
the speaker selector is 150 watts per channel.

my question is if whether or not i will get the same quality and loudness with the speaker selector hooked up.

i also see there is only 1 input into the selector box one for right and left speaker. How does that figure in? will i still get the 75x7 [525] wattage?

thanks rob

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6115

"my question is if whether or not i will get the same quality and loudness with the speaker selector hooked up."

Hooked up to what?

One set of left/right speaker connections means you can switch one set of left/right speaker pairs. To do more than that, you will need either a different switch box or additional switch boxes.

"will i still get the 75x7 [525] wattage?"

To what?

Bronze Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 94
generally you should ask these questions before you start buying things.

But answer Jans questions first and then we can give you more information.

Post Number: 2
i'm sorry, my selector has 2 inputs, one for right and one for left. now since my reciever puts out 75 watts per channel, would that mean my speaker selector only has 150 watts to use for all of the speakers hooked up to it?

Is there a safe way to input more channels into the selector?

my speakers claim to be able to handle 250 watts so in order to get the most sound for my money i'm thinking of just hooking the two infinity beta50's and some small speakers up to the speaker selector. i would do this so i don't steal the power from the beta 50's.

i would then get another selector box for my other pair of beta's.

Post Number: 3
i can always take the selector back. the kids at circuit city don't know much about this stuff either :-)

Jan, the harmon kardon 635 would be hooked up to the speaker selector which would be hooked up to infinity beta 50's.

thanks in advance
rob

I'm questioning how speaker selectors work? If I was to hook up 4 or even 8 beta50's on the same speaker selector would the speakers be getting enough power?

i'm thinking they won't because i'm only putting 2 channels off of my reciever into the selector.

Is there a safe way to add more channels or should i just get another selector and only add smaller speakers onto the selector with the infinity beta50's

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6118

I'm sorry, but I don't have a clue as to what you think this speaker selector is supposed to do. Your receiver outputs 75 watts per channel. One speaker; left, right, center or each of the rears will have 75 watts available to it and another speaker will have the 75 watts from the channel it is hooked to.

What your speakers are rated at is inconsequential to using any type of speaker selector.

Why did you buy this selector? What did you think it was going to do?

Bronze Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 96
I think he thinks its going to work as an amp?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6122

I think this might be a joke.

Rob?

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 601
I think Rob wants to switch back and forth between his left and right and see if one sounds better than the other and to determine whether they're out of phase. (Yes, that is my tongue firmly in my cheek.)

WOOHOO, I'm now over 600 posts. You may weigh in now, Mr. Vigne.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us