Am I getting enough power?

Bronze Member
Username: Smokey847

Post Number: 11
Hi. I have a harman Kardon AVR235 pushing four polk audio monitor 40s, one polk CS2 center, and a velodyne DPS12 subwoofer. I am not getting as much power as I think i should be. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 643
turn the volume up higher.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6106

How much more "power" do you think you should have? The amplifier is more than likely producing its rated power output. If that is the case, then it comes down to your description of "power" and how much more you think you need or want or what you want that poer to be doing that it is not presently accomplishing. Not enough power is a very indefinite term. What is lacking in what you hear and why do you assume power is the answer?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
All I am saying is that I don't think that it is "pushing" enough for my standards. All I really want to know if, besides purchasing a more powerful receiver, there is any type of pre amp i could get to push the speakers a little more...

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 648
preamp has nothing to do with power. you would need a better amp.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1938
The AVR 235 has pre outs. If you buy a power amp to drive the front 2 that would free up the power supply in your receiver to drive the center and rears. The center and rears which require less power than the fronts would then have MORE power and obviously so would your fronts from the power amp.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html

Take 2 of these (one for the left front and one for the right) and call me in the morning.

There are also used amps on Audiogon for reasonable prices.

Another good alternative is the NAD power amp at 699.00.

http://www.nadelectronics.com/hifi_amplifiers/C272_framset.htm

Good luck.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6121

I still don't know what "pushing" means. I will tell you that buying another amplifier is probably a waste of money.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1940
Using an external amp with an AVR is common and effective. That is why the receiver has pre outs. Only you can decide whether you have enough power for your needs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Thanks for the help! I'll try a couple of these bad boys out and c if it reaches my standards. ha ha

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Art Kyle,
I'll give that a try. Also, you seem like a very knowledgable person about electronics, so I'm going to ask you one more question. If you have looked at the AVR 235, you might have noticed that it's 7.1 surround sound. At the time, I have it powering the following components in 5.1: four polk audio monitor 40s, one polk center, and a 200wt. velodyne sub. My friend has an Aiwa bookshelf stereo that has the two regular larger speakers, a center, and two little surround speakers. He has given me the two surround speakers. I am thinking about putting them in my HT to make it 7.1 I am not the type of person who uses makeshift things on an HT this nice, but, what do you think the difference would be if i put these two speakers up. Someone said that they weren't powerful, and others said it would make a big difference. I would like to hear your opinion being that you're smart about these things. i have included a picture of the stereo below, so you can get an idea. Thanks for all your help!Upload

Anonymous

Help, I am trying to install a rockford 100 amp with 2 rockford 10" punches. but the problem I'm having is that my speakers in the car are now getting to much watts & not getting much to the subs is there a simple fix to this. I use to be able to turn the volume up to 35 and now if I go to 15 I fill I blow them. But if the speakers are disconnected then I can turn it up and get a little hit but its distorted. Please add any input at all. I need help bad!!!

Rantz
Unregistered guest
You certainly do, but you're not going to get it here. This part of the forum is clearly marked 'Home Audio'.

Hint: Car Audio
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us