Marantz 2230 as a preamp?

Unregistered guest
I dont know if anybody here is farmiiar with vintage audio equipment or not but it's worth a shot. I recently recived a Marantz 2300 reciver from my father. I was wondering how (and if) I can wire this to function as a preamp for my guitar amp.

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6095

Doesn't your guitar amp already have a pre amp built into it?

thoughtudied999
Unregistered guest
No. It only has the level and drive.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6116

In general consumer audio receivers are not well suited to musical instrument use. The impedances and the input/output levels do not match well. You would be much better off just finding a pre amp for your guitar amp if that's what you want. But, with a level control on the guitar amp you shouldn't need a pre amp unless the pick ups have unusually low output.

bear paws
Unregistered guest
Oh Jan!!! You can't have it both ways.You nay sayer you. {Hi ya, Jan}
most of us don't have tuning forks for ears.
Need a littlemore info on the marantz. does it have line outs or only speaker outs? I can give you a simple matching device circut to match it to your git amp. Both levels and impedances. Rite JAN? Then we need to find out what options you have for inputs so we can come up with some match. You could as last resort us the phono input but you need to compensate for the RIAA filtering all phono inputs have.We can just inverse-RIAA filter it.
I can see why you might want a preamp, if for no other reason but to make controlled loud wierd noises cheaply.

bear paws
Unregistered guest
Looking at the schematic for the 2230 and you have a nice Pre-out, looks like a RCA. Go with that pre-out into "GIT" amp in. Should match ok {may have to turn the level down on the git amp a bit,like a lot maybe.] Stick your guitar TRS plug [tip-ring-sleeve]into "dubbing in" and [I think this will work ]push "mono" button in and viola! well at least guitar. I see there is a muting level control on the back panel. Don"t be afraid to twist on it, it may be usefull. In the picture it looks like a pot control but the diagram shows it as a slider switch. IT 's getting too late. Try it and let it rip.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us