Kenwood VR-6070 THX/DPL2. Anyone has this unit? (Page 13)

TO: DANIEL DUCHON

Sorry but the US VR-6070 is fixed at AC120V. There is no switch or anything that allows the voltage level to be changed.

Scred Nocando
Hand wringing between Yamaha RX-V730, Kenwood VR-6070 and Denon AVR-1803. Any thoughts?

i just got my 6070. so far so good, however, I have noticed an oddity on the display. when the display is not fully illuminated left to right, for instance if you put the receiver into video 2 mode. on mine, the display on the right side (mute.tuner.memory.stereo. kind of fade in and out. you gotta get really close to notice, i'm just wondering if anyone elses does this? Displays can break fast, so I just wanted to find out if this is normal operation. Thanks

Also, does the remote lcd always stay on?

To Neil

I got sound from my TV - just reconnect them only!
Thanks Anyways.

Gleem.. Sounds like ya got a video cable crossed with a power cable.. Ya dont want to have any video cables touching any power cord period or it will distort the image. Usually making it a shade or 2 darker. They say if they must touch, have the power cable cross the video or audio cable at a 90 degree angle.

If thats not it clean the connector of the video RCA if it is.. or the casing around the plug isint making good contact to the inlet on the reciever.. the outer ring on the RCA acts as the ground that touches the outside edge of the inlet on the reciever RCA.. I hope that was a good description hehe.

I have a 5.1 speakers system. My DVD is connected to the amp using a digital optical cable. The amp is set to auto detecting mode.

I don't have any problem detecting DD nad DTS, but if I put a DTS-ES dvd the amp still displays DTS instead of DTS-ES. is it normal? or do I need to plug the 6th speaker to get DTS-ES?

You will have to have the SB speakers turned on for that to work so yes you will need the 6th speaker.

The reciever will auto detect and select what is best for your setup.. so if ya only have 5.1 thats as far as it will go.

Hi Guys,

I have a question here.
When I play a DD-EX DVD the 6070 displays DOLBY DIGITAL and LISTEN MODE only can be changed between DOLBY DIGITAL and STEREO but when I turned THX OFF I can change the LISTEN MODE between DOLBY DIGITAL, DOLBY D EX and STEREO. Is it normal?

Thanks!

daniil,

yes, my csi30 is placed on top of my TV and no problems what so ever with the image quality.

gleem
eclype: I don't understand what having a power cable cross with a video cable and how that affects the LED/LCD display on the front of the receiver, since that is what I was talking about. I've already discovered another defect on mine, so it looks like it has to go back for an exchange. Thank god I bought it locally

daniil
dinnu,
thank you for your help,i'm going today to the store to try them,and gonna buy it,so thank you again and have a happy new year.

Just wondering something. Would you guy advise against plugging the AC of something like the DVD player into the receiver? I'd just use the constant plug... not the switching. Are you all using any of the receiver AC plugs? Is there added heat involved or anything? Just want to be carefull with my new "baby." ;) Thanks.

why should I get a Kenwood VR-6070 over an Onkyo TX-SR600. I'll be using Bose Acoustimass 16 speakers (6.1) as well as another subwoofer for the really low stuff. I'm waivering betweent the Kenwood and Onkyo. Anyone out there have any big "CONS" to either? I know most of the "PROS".
Any comment would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Gleem,

The LCD on the remote does stay on all the time. As far as your display problem goes... try resetting the microprocessor on the 6070 described on page 48 of your owner's manual.

Regards, John B.

thanks John. I have to exchange it anyway, the right channel output is defective. it makes popping and cracking sounds. I reset the unit, and also switched around speakers per kenwood tech support advice to rule out any wire or speaker being at fault. Overall though I am rather impressed with the 6070. I am definitely getting an exchange for another 6070

gleem, heh.. OPPS!

EM, When i was going to buy a new reciever i was set on a Onkyo 600 till i found this thread!

It was a tough choice at first between the to but when look at the big picture the Kenwood is a cler winner! The Onkyo 600 doesnt have pre-outs period so upgradablitiy is out the door... no 7.1 only 6.1 with the Onkyo 600.. Also more wattage with 100 watts per channel in 6.1 on the Kenwood.. Also its been tested and gives out a real 92 watts per channel in 6.1. Also the Kenwood has THX and CSII besides DPL2.. i love CSII! This was my first experiance with DPL2 from my old DPL reciever and i'm very thankfull i went with the Kenwwod sicne imho CSII OWNS!

The Kenwood looks better and i love the Learning remote also!

I felt inorder to get a comparable reciever from Onkyo i'd have to buy the expensive new 800 or 797.. were talkin twice the price then i paid for the Kenwood VR-6070 for 424.00.

The only plus i seen on the Onkyo over the Kenwood was the front optical port. And thats something i can live without.

Oh another thing is the option to go 7.1 with the kenwood VR-6070 since you can use the surround back pre-out to your old reciever and run dual rear center speakers.. Another thing ya cant do with the onkyo 600. I love that feature as well! More fuller sound Dolby EX and DTS EX movies.

crap i keep forgeting to say what i wanted 2... I need food hehe.. Pizza here i come!..

Anyways with the money ya save buying up this Kenwood VR-6070 ya can use it on better speaker wire or cable connects or better... speakers!

I am considering buying the Kenwood 6070. I do have one question, the 6th channel amp can switch between the 6th channel and a sub, does this mean you can't run the 6th channel and a sub at the same time even if it is a powered sub through the LF pre-out?

Also, I am looking at the Yamaha HTR-5560. How do these two compare, is it worth the little extra money for THX, discrete 6.1, and the learning remote? I have a Yamaha RX-V590 and am very happy with it, but ready to upgrade. I am having a hard time with the thought of leaving Yamaha, but I definately will for good quality in any brand!

Balangi
Can some1 explain how the small blu speaker icons and white icons below them REALLY work?

Thanks.

Gary S.
Ok, so i will be picking up my new Kenwood 6070 tomorrow late in the afternoon from the local ABC Warehouse, which beat the current price of $499 at Best Buy. Since i am currently without a subwoofer as well as a center rear speaker, can anyone offer some suggestions to what speakers i should look at to take care of these gaps in my system, my rear speakers work fine btw.

Thanks
Gary S

Balangi,

The blue speaker icons are the actual speakers connected to your receiver (which you would specify in the initial set up of your receiver). The white icons represent the mode in which your receiver is processing the audio signal. So, if you are playing a 5.1 dolby sorround DVD, you would see five white icons for the 5 speakers and 1 LFE icon for the sub-woofer (and if you are playing a 6.1 DTS dvd you would see 6 speaker icons and 1 LFE). If you press the "stereo" button, you would only see two white speaker icons indicating that the receiver is in the stereo mode... hope this helps

EJA320,

You can run the 6th channel and the sub at the same time as long as you have a powered sub.

Gary S. i've got some good news for ya.. ABC Warehouse can do better then just beat that 499.00 price they can beat an offical Kenwood online retailer as well! Check out www.6ave.com price for the VR-6070.. Might wana make a copy of there web site showing there price but i didnt have 2..

i got mine from a local ABC warehouse and told them to beat 6th.com's price of 400.00 no tax and 16 dollars shipping.. So they did! it was too easy man. i got a price of 424 out the door no tax.. that was the final price!

So tell them that and you should have no freakin prob.

Also about the rear center channel.. i'd suggest using the same speakers as your rear surround channel now. A pair of them.. matching pair as the rear surround left and right. That way you can use your old reciever as the amp and use the pre-outs from the kenwood and hook them up to whatever inputs on the old reciever and you will have a nice 7.1 setup! hehe... you can use that for all your DD EX DTS EX and DTS 6.1 DESCRETE DVDs and also for music via Neo 6.1 or CSII which supports 6.1.

:)

Have fun! This reciever is a blast!

Okay, I asked before (1/2/03), but no one answered. What is the best way to hook a a single tuner Picture-In-Picture TV to the VR6070? I have a recordable satellite Dish receiver, 2 non-recording satellite Dish receivers hooked up to VCRs, and a DVD player. Also, is it worth using upgraded cables for the connections to the VCRs and then from the VCRs to the receiver - or are the original generic RCA cables sufficient since the signal is going through lower tech devices (VCRs)?

Gary S.
eclypse:

no can do, the rear right and left are old, bought from the Highland Appliance liquidation a number of years back. As far as using the old receiver, the only useful function for it now is as a door stop, power supply dead.

As far as my deal, it is 499 out the door taxes included....

Gary S.

Hey all. I have an old shelf system that I'm going to use for my 6 & 7 speaker. Well, I don't have my theater speaker yet so I plugged the front preouts from the 6070 to the Aiwa and the audio was really really low. I had to turn the Aiwa receiver volume 3/4 up to get a good volume out the speakers. And the Kenwood was at -25. Is that normal?

Hi Steve M,

I am not sure if is it normal but mine is same. I am using two Kenwood surround speakers for my 6 & 7 speaker with my old Kenwood Receiver.

Jeffrey and/or John:

Bought the 6070 after reading all the posts on this board. This is a great board and I for one appreciate people like you taking the time to answer questions from those of us who are less experienced. So here goes: The RF remote works intermittently at best. I can't go very far (one wall/floor at best) in the house and sometimes I have to press the buttons several times or at different angles to get a response. I put brand new duracell batteries in to no avail. I also have an RF remote for my Mitusbishi hidef tuner in the basement that I can control without fail from the second floor (2 floors up). Could this be a faulty remote or is the power of the remote just not up to snuff? I also thought that perhaps a new antennae might help. I positioned the antennae as high up as I could (almost to the ceiling). The Kenwood antennae seems kind of cheesy compared to the mitsubishi antennae. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

By the way Jeffrey, your post explaining how you used the IR Repeater really helped. Thanks.

Paul

Jeffrey
Paul, I have had to press the button 2-3 times on occasion to get a RF response, or even point the remote in the direction of the receiver from whereever I am in the house. My house is upstairs/downstairs with the reciever down in the middle, so whereever I am in the house, I am no more than 25 feet away. I do notice that the direction between my furnace and the reciever is difficult to pass a signal straight thru, so you are likely experiencing the same.

I turned using the RF into a little game, like I am shooting at something and until I "hit" it, I just keep aiming and pressing :-).

I think the distance was not very far from the sound and vision testing too, but I don't have the article right now. The best you can do is try and modify placement of the antennae are try changing it to a real antennae if you like to tweak. For instance, I put "Rabbit Ear" antennaes on my receivers FM inputs because they have better reception than the wire "T" ones that usually come with the units. Try modifying a pair of rabbit ears with a 1/4" input jack and see if your reception increases, and of course let us know if it does. Good luck.

Rim
Steve M and Mystar,

I use an amp rated 80 watts per channel for the surround back speakers(6th and 7th). I still need to set those to +5 compared to 0 for the surrounds in the initial speaker setting, even though they are matching speakers. Since all 6 channels are supposed to be 100watts for VR 6070, I guess it's about right. You have to compensate for the power difference in the amps during the initial speaker set up. After that, you may still have to tweek it with the menu sound button for different inputs. I usually have to notch up the surround and surround back speakers for cd listening in CSII setting.

gleem
well, my luck with the 6070 was not good. I got one unit, had a popping noise in the right channel, very audible when the speaker EQ and active EQ were enabled. Took it back, got another one. Same thing, maybe even a bit worse. I tried everything to fix it -- short of asking the church for a blessing. I had everything unplugged except speakers and the dvd, I tried differnt speakers, speaker wire, bare wire to terminals, banana plubs, different AC outlet, all with no luck. Perhaps that particular store received a bad batch of kenwoods. needless to say I did not ask for another one. The popping was always in the right channel, and would do it with any source. Switching the left/right speakers would then produce the popping on the left side, so that ruled out any interfence from my computer or TV. *sigh*

John Hackman
Guys, I am back! Wow, cannot believe all these messages since I opened up this forum on the VR6070...

Question about Remote. The VR6070 remote is suppose to support both RF and IR. I tried the remote in RF (from another room) and it does not work to control the VR6070. Any suggestions. Anyone tried this?

-John Hackman

daniil
hi guys, i have vr-6060,i think it have the same remote is 6070,mine working perfectly from another room, all you need to do is placed antena is high is possible, change the switch on remote and on receiver,then its gonna work, but it's only working in radio or infrared but not both at the same time, but the thing is some times you need to pushed it few times till it start working,and you need a good fresh battery

Jeffrey
Hackman, for rf, first way to test it is to sit in the room close to the receiver and cover the top of the remote with your palm completely to block the IR. Then you will see if the RF is transmitting. Make sure you have the T antennae plugged in and extended. As for use of it, check back on a few of my other posts including the one recently.

One other thing is to try changing the A/B settings for the RF on the remote and the 6070 to see which one works for you and gives you the best distance. The info on this is in the manual.

Thanks for starting the forum, it definitely influenced my decision to buy. Hope my info helps you back.

Gleem, ya sure ya installed the speaker wire with the + nd - lines matching on both the reciever and speakers? I know i've odne that and it will produce the popin noise you've talked about... Sounds liek the speaker was blown but it was only that i reversed the polarity. Might wana check them out to make sure that whatever side of the speaker wire Red or Black matches the same on the speakers.. Thats if ya still have it.

Yes john thanks for your post on this reciever!.. We all owe you a beer man!

Gary S.
I can see why people indicate the manual is confusing. I may add both a powered sub woofer and rear center to my set up this week. However, the set up diagram shows one rear center on page 15. The room set up diagrams later on in the manual show two center rear speakers. Can one effectively use only one center rear speaker to get THX, etc?

Gary S

gleem
eclypse: yup, I checked wire, I even tried different wire(16awg vs the 14awg I was initially using) and different speakers and I still had the same result. I think maybe BB had a bad batch. I didn't want to ask for another one, if it did it on the third one they'd have been pretty mad if I took it back AGAIN

D. Melton
Got my 6070, hooked it up with my Kenwood kr-v9030 for the rear speakers and optical cable from DVD. Got DTS-EX playing Ice Age right away. This is a fine receiver and well worth the price. Manual does suck though. It assumes we know WAY too much!

Read through almost all of this thread and still I cannot make up my mind as to which reciever I should go with. I currently have the JVC 888VBK (only has DD, and DTS), looking for a better replacement but only wanting to spend a max of $350-$400. The Kenwood 6070 is looking really nice... just not sure about no on screen display and if THX is really needed as many have said it is really no different than DTS-EX.
I'm also looking at these recievers:
JVC RX-9010VBK
Pioneer VSX-D811S

Any insite as to which reciever would be best for me would be appricated. Oh yea here is what I have for speakers:
Fronts -- Infinity RS-5's
Center --- Infinity CC3
Rear Surrounds --- Infinity RS-3's
Sub--- Klipsch SW-12

Steven Zemeckis
Hi, (great post) I only know so much about electronics and would love to know if the Kenwood 6070 would pair well with Energy Connoisseur C-3 speakers,
The C-3s specs state that they should be driven at 120 watts and the Kenwood drives speakers at 100 watts per channel. Should this be a problem?
I dont want to damage my speakers if i choose to buy them! my room is 12 by 13 feet so would these speakers be overkill? and can anyone reccomend surrounds for these? . Thanks, (I am so torn between Energy Take 5.2s and Energy Connoisseurs plus matching surrounds) _Steve_

Gary S
Well after getting additional S-video cables, end terminals for my speaker wires etc, I finally have the 6070 up and running. So far with just Front Right, Front Center, and Front Left. Will be picking up a powered sub woofer this week. I am still currious about using a single rear center as opposed to a pair with an amplifier.

I am looking for any input on this.

So far this is a terrific receiver, except for the manual...Currently have the expanded Fellowship of The Ring DVD in playing. Sounds remarkably good on just 3 speakers so far.
Thanks

Gary S.

Gary S, sure just a single rear center speaker should work fine as long as its centered right behind the main seating area.

Gary S.
eclypse:

I have a weirdly laid out living room, where the home theatre stuff "lives". I am looking at replacing the rear right and left with something like a bose type cube that i can mount from the wall. The two listening positions in the room are along either wallas the rear wall is open into the kitchen. This makes placing a rear center speker problematic. which is why i am looking at options for speakers that can be mounted.

Gary S.

Gary... hell ya mgiht even just want to grab a 2 speaker rear deal thingy insted.. That way ya can have them mounted farther apart and have them angled inward like a V into the listening possition... hehe kinda hard to tell i guess unless i seen it though. Remember its better to have matching speakers though.

Speaking of Home Theaters... anyone see this guys new setup or addition he built on his new home? http://www.devotionsbyerik.com/E-Cinema.htm

he's almost done.. Just gota get the curtain up.. I've been following his progress fo rthe past month and a half.. Pretty kick but if ya ask me.

Oh and Gary.. ya might wana re-arrange your living room to make this work if ya can.. i did the same 2 weeks before i got mine.. Lot of work but boy does it all sound great now!

I'm thinking if ya say that the back rear is open ya should try to move the couch there and have the rear left and right surrounds on the sides of the walls pointin stright at the listening possition, meaning on the sides of the couch and then either have stands for the rear center (single or a pair) speakers or mount them from the ceiling heheh.. Well it would work. And bose would be the way to go for that route sicne there small and pretty much would stay unseen if ya had a white ceiling and got the white speakers.

Jeffrey
I just went to the CES show in Las Vegas and had a chance to stop at the Kenwood booth. They were showing the new versions of their US retail models that will be out in July timeframe. The 7060 and 7070 are replacements for the current pieces. The changes are cosmetic, a platinum/silver color, like almost all of the TV's are coming out as now, and a revised remote with is smaller than the current one, but still seemed to have the same features, lcd, rf, etc. There is also a 7080 coming and the only difference with that one is a new remote that is about 1/4" thick, and as big and wide as the current remote. I can't really give is justice by describing it, but it has a sensor that activates it when it is moved. The blue backlights light up the keypads and active buttons. So the depending on the mode, different buttons are lit. The keypad is sort of like your keypad on the average microwave, which is how they make it so slim. One disadvantage, the 7080 remote doesn't support RF, so the $100 premium is all in the remote as the rest of the features of the 7080 are the same as the 7070, which are the same as the 6070, as best as I could tell and the product rep didn't mention anything when I asked.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us