What is the BEST vaule on the market today in Sub-$400. bookshelf speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 90
Is one spliting hairs when it come to, let's say, a $200. pair of PSB Alpha B's, and a $328. pair of Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's, or a pair of Alegria Audio Ling's for $349.

Simply put, what is the BEST vaule and/or bargain on the market today in Sub-$400. bookshelf speakers?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2467
I'd say the Ascends are superior for both HT and for a wide range of musical genres, styles and degrees of musical density/complexity.

The Lings offer a wonderfully "warm" and lifelike sound...but in my experience, only with a narrow range of musical styles---basically simple compositions (2-3 musical inputs simultaneously) and instrumentals. Their lack of detail and imaging compared to the Ascends would not make them a good HT speaker, IMO. Also the Lings are lower sensitivity so they require a fairly beefy power source, whereas the Ascends are very easy to drive with any speaker.

On the other hand the Ascend 170s really do require a sub, whereas the Lings put out some amazing mid-bass just on their own. At high volumes though the Lings' midbass became muddy and distorted quickly...these are definitely not designed for cranking up.

At moderate volumes and with the right musical sources though the Lings can be absolutely stunning. I will probably buy a pair for my bedroom system for those times when I want a completely different musical experience than the Ascends.

Bronze Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 91
Any others? We don't need to limit this to the makes & models I listed? Are speakers like Infinity or Mission worth considering? What about Aperion or Axiom?

Give me a list.

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 478
What kind of equipment will these speakers be used with? Room size? Speakers distance from wall + listening position? Listening preferences?

Also keep in mind there is no single speaker that can be considered the best value to everyone. Heck we all know one guy that wouldn't part with his 30 year old Cerwin Vegas for any bookshelf speaker on the market today.

As for speaker companies worth looking into:

Paradigm, B&W, Axiom, Ascend, CSW, Klipsch, NHT,
Infinity, Mission, JBL, Polk, KEF, Boston Acoustics, Definitive Technology, Fluance, BIC America, JM Labs, Jamo, Monitor Audio, Onix/Rockets, Tannoy, PSB etc etc etc

I would suggest taking a weekend or two, and going out to listen to whatever you can. Get an idea of the market and what kind of sound you like. Have some fun at the same time.

Bronze Member
Username: Jorge59

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 56
Chris,

Do not fail to try the amazing B&W DM 600 S3 listed for $ 350/pair.
Also, the B&W 303,listed $300/pr is a very honest speaker.

Good Luck

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1089
Lack of detail the Lings dont lack detail Eddie,they have one of the best voices for truth of timbre under $1000,their ability with the human voice is as good as I've heard.The Lings are great as is the Wharefdale Diamond 9.1,and my favorite at this price point the Epos els 3,with a startling realistic midbass that puts some $2000 speakers to shame in that department.One thing all these speakers have in common is soundstaging Eddie you had the Lings to close together to get a good sounstage.All these speakers need good electronics as does most quality gear.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2468
> Lack of detail the Lings dont lack detail Eddie,they have one of the best voices for truth of timbre under $1000,their ability with the human voice is as good as I've heard.

I agree they do very well with voices what I meant was detail during complex passages...for example, a symphony where you have a whole bunch of different instruments coming at you at the same time. They were frankly disastrous with symphonic music, everything congealed into one formless blob.

> One thing all these speakers have in common is soundstaging Eddie you had the Lings to close together to get a good sounstage.All these speakers need good electronics as does most quality gear.

Well I originally had them closer to 8-10 feet apart and toed in, but they were very thin sounding in my room. At 3-4 feet apart and squared, they seemed to magically blend together smoothly.

Bronze Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 92
OK, NAD C740, Music (Not HT), small room, on shelves, about 6" from wall.

I know most, or all of these speakers will sound very good to excellent for my needs.

However, I would like to purchase something special, something that is beautifully made. I own the Monitor Audio Radius R90's & R360 for HT. These are truly beautifully crafted speakers, I love them. I want something along those lines, but better suited for stereo music along the lines that I described.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1091
6 to 8 feet is ideal for them,they dont have the widest soundstage but the depth is quite deep,one thing you have to remember is they really need good electronics to shine I had no such problems,yeah their not gonna play 95 db but they pretty loud,you need current and amprage to get the best out of them, the MF that I had driving them has 50 peak current of amprage similar of what the Maggies need to perform good.

Silver Member

Post Number: 479
Will these speakers be used with or without a subwoofer?

Silver Member

Post Number: 480
Well either way the Lings sound right up your alley. They are fairly unique on the market and come with a nice real wood veneer.

Bronze Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 93
Without a sub.

Now I own a pair of Infinity Alpha 20's, how would the Lings (which I know are in a whole different leauge) sound in comparison? What would I initially notice? Should I even consider a different pair for my purposes?

Silver Member

Post Number: 481
"Now I own a pair of Infinity Alpha 20's, how would the Lings (which I know are in a whole different leauge) sound in comparison? What would I initially notice? "

That I wouldn't be able to answer for you unfortunately.

"Should I even consider a different pair for my purposes?"

Yes. Like I said, just go out one weekend to a few hi-fi shops and look around. You may well find something that meets all of your requirements.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1092
Christopher M.,the Alphas are the very best at their price point,that was a smart buy.The Lings are gonna be a totally different presentation,very very laidback,not as dynamic as the Alphas but with better detail,they both go pretty low for their size,but the Lings will be little cleaner with a more honest midbass.What kind of sound are looking for?

Bronze Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 94
I'm not sure? I think the Lings sound like they're up my alley. I'm not a bass-junkie, and I don't like to injured by highs. Seperation is a good thing, imaging is important.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2473
> I'm not a bass-junkie,

Ascends

> and I don't like to injured by highs.

Lings for sure, but Ascends too if you have good sources

> Seperation is a good thing,

Ascends, then Lings

> imaging is important

Ascends by a very comfortable margin

Gold Member

Post Number: 1093
They may be right up your alley then.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2474
btw, if you "don't like to be injured by highs" (LOL!) I would probably cross Axiom off your list.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1094
And Mission to.

Bronze Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 96
So now we're focusing on the Ascends. I like the look in pics, but what are they like in person? I won't be able to hear them (direct marketing), so it's a review-a-thon from this point on. I've read a few, and they're all glowing.

Are they really that good?

Bronze Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 97
What about Aperion 522D's? i can get a sweetheat deal on a pair of these. I know they must handle HT well, but what about music? What about the finish, they look great.

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 2476
If you value accuracy, clarity, and detail, yes. Ascend is one of very few speaker companies to publish their full frequency response graphs, and there's a reason why: their speakers are very neutral and flat.

If you are looking for that fuzzy "warmth" then a speaker like the Lings would be better.

Downsides:

1. The CBM-170 is not the prettiest looking speaker, if what you see is more important to you than what you hear.

2. The CBM-170 does require a sub to sound its best, though a few people like my friend Marc thought it provided plenty of bass.

3. If you have a bad recording, a weak receiver, or a subpar CDP, the 170 will reveal all of that mercilessly. If those things are all decent in your system, then they will shine especially compared to other speakers in the same pricepoint.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 575
Christopher,

Like Ed, I own Ascends but I have the CBM 170s instead of Ed's 340s. Two things you said that would probably point you more towards the Lings than the Ascends.

1. You said you wanted something beautiful. Tim's Lings are incredibly good looking. The Ascends are black and pretty plain boxes.

2. Music over HT. The Lings are more musical. Although as Ed stated, and I found it to be true also, if you're into classical and any other genre that's fairly complex, the Ascends will do much better for you.

As to the others recommended here, I would give the Paradigms a listen, I did this last weekend and I was very impressed. I've heard most of the Boston Accoustics, Klipsch, KEF and JBLs in your price range and I don't think they measure up to the others recommended above. (I haven't heard the Epos, Wharfdales, B&Ws and others.) But, go listen and select what you like. Dave.

Silver Member

Post Number: 482
Just as an FYI Ascend does offer custom automotive grade paint jobs on their cabinets. A high gloss black might look pretty classy.

In that same grain you might check out the NHT SB2.

Silver Member

Post Number: 483
Unfortunately I don't have any experience with Aperion products. However, from what information I have gleaned from their site, they do appear well built. However, their response curve leaves something to be desired. They claim an 88dB sensitivity; while it is true that at a couple frequencies this is the case, it is largely well below this figure. Also its impedance is listed as being fairly low, which means that these puppies look to be a little on the power hungry side.

The curve itself looks less than impressive. A quick analysis reveals the average output for the given electrical input appears to be closer to 85dB. One thing you will note on the curve is that the the output at 100Hz is below 80dB, meaning it is more than 5dB off from this figure. Going a little further over, 80Hz appears to be awfully close to the -10dB point. The midrange does seem decent, and depending on your priorities, this may make up for many of the speakers other shortcomings. On the other end of the spectrum 20kHz is hit at 80dB, which is 5dB down from average and close to 8dB down from ~15kHz.

However, all of this negative data doesn't mean you couldn't be perfectly happy with it :-)

Bronze Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 100
Thanks for the review (I need to learn how to do that).

Silver Member

Post Number: 484
Keep in mind there is a lot more to a speaker than one graph. There is always the impedance curve and spectral decay graph among other things. Without hearing the speaker, I am hesitant to really say much else about it. The other thing to take into account is that being inside a real room will drastically change how any speaker responds. As Eddie said on the receiver side of things, since they take care of shipping both ways, you can't really lose.

Bronze Member

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 57
I own the CBM-170 (which is an excellent speaker), but I'm convinced that the B&W DM-600 S3 is a couple of miles ahead in imaging, balance and definition.

It is also much prettier, though the CBM is definitely not as ugly as it sems on the web pictures.

Actually, the thing that surprised me most positively about the CBM was its looks. After all, satisfaction is experience/expectation.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2482
hmm, I'll have to check out those DM600s, Jorge. They're really only $350/pair? Wow.

Anonymous

The Aperions have bloated mid-bass to appeal to the masses. Aperion also uses a very cheap tweeter.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1099
Eddie you should check out the Epos els 3,I guarantee,you wont be dissapointed or spend the $600 on the Epiphany or $650 on the Epos M5,since you are already satisfied with your Panny.You might as well get a speaker your gonna be satisfied with for a while.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 102
OK, I just listened to a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitors & a pair of NHT SB2. There really was NO comparison, the Paradigm were wide-open with crisp bass, the NHT were very muddy, I didn't like them at all.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 104
I also listened to the Paradigm Studio 20's, BOY were they sweet, better than the Mini's by a wide margin, but alas, they were TOO EXPENSIVE for this set-up.

Now that I know what I like, and so do you, any better recomendations in this sub-$400. discussion?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2501
Tawaun,

are the Epos and Epiphany speakers you recommended as warm as the Lings? I figured that $300 isn't bad for a totally different sound character than the Ascends' which do just about everything competently whereas the Lings just do a small number of things extremely well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 495
Paradigm is definately a strong contender in the price class. I can't think of much that would outright blow them away for the money. But as I said, check out a few more from the list of manufacturers. That way you're afforded some peace of mind that you heard what you could and you got the best.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 107
I'm on a mission!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1901
Chris, you have good taste! I have the Studio 40's and 20's and love them. I've owned at least one pair of Paradigm speakers for the better part of 12 yrs. They represent excellent value.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 109
Art, are there any speakers in the Paradigm 20's range that I should listen to, given that I seem to like their sound?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 110
Paradigm doesn't seem to be widely available online. What gives?

Bronze Member
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 58
Paradigm does not allow online sales. Any dealer found selling this way will lose their dealership.

The Ascend 170 compares favorably to the Studio 20 outside of bottom end extension.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1902
Paradigm is a boutique only line. PSB's and some Energy's have some characteristics in common with Paradigm. Obviously I like Paradigm better or I wouldn't have bought them.

The Energy Reference Connoisseur RC-10 sounds very nice for a retail of $550 (can be had for less).

Bronze Member

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 58
Ed, when you go to the B&W dealer, please make sure to test the 705. They list for $1500/pr but maybe you'll get to audio nirvana...;

Check the list prices (maybe one can get some 10% off in the store):

http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.speakertypes&keyword=boo kshelf

The DM 303 listed for $300/pr challenges the CBM-170 (though not so flat/neutral). The DM-600 blows it easily, in my opininon. So, I think that perception that B&W are expensive and that internet direct are cheap might not be accurate. Maybe it comes from B&W famous and expensive 800 line.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1906
Just back from Portland Christopher....JM Focal Labs Chorus series is a fabulous sounding line of budget speakers. Find a dealer and give'em a listen. They really are special.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 114
Art, can the Focals be had online? 705? 6? or 7?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1910
I'm not sure if they can be had online that would be you department. It doesn't matter which model, everyone I heard sounded great. I'm still not sure that I wouldn't Tim's Lings first. Being in New York and all do you have a chance to audition some of this gear?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 117
Can easily demo VERY high end stuff, but between $200.-$600. I pickin's are a bit slim.

I also seem to be focusing on models I can't listen to, like the Lings & Ascends.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1912
Point taken.

You know Christopher I never did hear what kind of music you listen to.

BTW when I was in Portland visiting Teri at Stereotypes she told me that her friend who works at Aperion (they are made here in Tigard, Oregon) sold her a pair at a substantial discount. Teri was curious and bought them (if they were good she could put them in her bedroom if not oh well no big loss) She said they are awful. Teri sells everything from $200 speakers to 40k speakers and likes models in every price range but the Aperions got her big 2 thumbs and a couple of big toes down.

Bronze Member
Username: Rikmeister

Hometown, Pa Usa

Post Number: 43
you can buy used paradigm studios for good prices at www.audiogon.com and www.tsto.com try there since you like them. remember do not buy something for the price that you do not like. it is like marrying a wife just to get married that you hate. life will be miserable in the end. also you can just buy the fronts and add the rest later.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 119
Art,

I listen to:

An obsessive amount of the Rolling Stones with "Gimmie Shelter" being my most listened to track ever.

Other than The Stones, I listen to a good amount of early blues, accoustic rock, some earliy grunge, and an increasing amount of early jazz.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1914
Well the Studio 20's certainly do all of those well. My understanding of the Ling's is that they are on the warmer side of neutral and would probably sound good with those music types with the possible exception of the grunge. Then again Tim's in Seattle you'd think he'd keep his own in mind. :-)

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 120
OK, if money were not an object, I would buy the Paradigm Studio 20's. I can't get their sound out of my head. But money is a consideration, and it seems that the consensus on this thread is that for my purposes, the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's & the Alegeria Audio Lings represent the best value in the sub-$400. range.

If you had to pull the trigger, which one would it be.

Thanks for all the help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2508
Since this is a music-only system and you have another main system you use for HT and possibly for other types of music, I'd suggest giving the Lings a try.

If it were your ONLY system I'd unhesitatingly say get the Ascends due to their much greater versatility.

Of course you could always order both and return the one you like less, return shipping should be $15-20 for either one. That's the only foolproof way to know.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1103
I think the Epos els 3s are the best value in this price range,and I've heard the Lings and the Epos.Actually I think the els 3 is the best value up to $500.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 128
Tawaun, I knew you likes Epos ELS 3's, but I'm pretty suprised they would be your first choice.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1105
Why are you suprised?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1106
I like the Paradigm Studio 20 and 40 to,once you get past that $500 mark you have some serious competitors.If you are considering the 20s which is a damn good choice,you have to consider everything up to $1000 My choice in this range in order the 1. Odyssey Epihpnony $595,2.Ohm Micro Tall $1000 3.Epos M12.2 $895 4.Epos M5 $650 5. Dynaudio Audiance 42 $850 6.Epos els 3 $299 7.Paradigm studio 40 $900 8.Totem Dreamcatcher $450 9.Von Shriekert VR 1 $1000 10.Usher Hts 520 $500,11.Paradigm studio 20 $650 12.Lings $349 13.Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 $349 14.Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 $600 15.B&W DM 602 S3 $600,I thinking more of a all around performance some have things that stick out better than others,but all around music genders is a must you never know when you want hear something different.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 129
I thought that for MUSIC ONLY applications, and given my listen preferences, you might steer me towards the Lings. But, you did state early on that the Epos ELS-3's were your first choice.

I need to find a place to hear them in NYC.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1107
Ask Art about the Els 3 he will have very high praise for them as well.

Bronze Member
Username: Pbdr

Post Number: 59
Try the mirago omni series. I have the omni 60s, which I found new for <$400 on ebay. The omni 50s routinely sellf for $300 - $400 so fit your price range.

My omni 60s sound great with music and HT, they image well, and I did fine with no sub for several months (finally gave in due to LOTR related incidences).

I would maybe give them a listem if possible.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 646
Christopher - If you really liked the Paradigms, check out PSB. Like Art said earlier, they share a lot of traits. Unlike Art, I like PSB better, and own them.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1923
TW you have the v2 Studio prices. The v3's are $800 for the 20's and $1200 for the 40's, and yes they are that much better.

The ELS 3 is a fabulous budget speaker but the giant killer in this price range appears to be the JM Focal Chorus series, dynamite speakers.

Username: T2t

Post Number: 6
BTW when I was in Portland visiting Teri at Stereotypes she told me that her friend who works at Aperion (they are made here in Tigard, Oregon) sold her a pair at a substantial discount. Teri was curious and bought them (if they were good she could put them in her bedroom if not oh well no big loss) She said they are awful. Teri sells everything from $200 speakers to 40k speakers and likes models in every price range but the Aperions got her big 2 thumbs and a couple of big toes down.

And, not to forget, that Aperion uses those crappy Web pop-ups on most sites I visit. Rule #1: I don't buy from companies who have to resort to spamming by using Web pop-ups. I do have a pop-up blocker, too, but a few of theirs got through. Damn those Aperion folks. :-( :-(

Gold Member

Post Number: 1111
I like the chorus line and I have spent ample time with them,I just dont feel the same about their performance the way you feel Art.The real benefit in JM Labs line realy starts at the Cobalt line the Epos are far superior to the Chorus's at every price point.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1926
We don't agree on the JM's I'm afraid. But really Christopher will have to do the listening and determine what he like. Heck, he might not like either of them.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 136
I think I'm going with the Epos ELS-3's for $275.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 138
But I really want the Paradigm Studio 20's though???...Maybe I should just save up.

Need to hit lotto!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1946
Enjoy Christopher.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us