Dvd-a disc on a sony ns 725 dvd-v player

amonar19
Unregistered guest
I have tried to play the dvd-a side of the beach boys' "pet sounds" on my sony dvp ns-725 dvd-v player. It first said "this can only be played by a dvd-a capable player. But then it played it (and quite wonderfuly, I might add).
How can that be?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5998

The player is factory set to play the highest resolution format available as a default setting of the player. (You can typically cancel this default in the set up menu.) Since it is a DVD player by its design, it first searched the DVD portion of the disc. If the disc has no DVD-V portion the player will inform you it cannot play the DVD-A tracks. After giving you this information, the player should have stepped down to the next highest resolution format, in this case it might be a DTS version, if your player is capable of decoding DTS. If none of these formats are available through your player, you heard the standard Redbook CD tracks as the final default.

amonar19
Unregistered guest
Dear Jan
THanks. But are there redbookd CD tracks on a dvd-a disk (and it was the right side - I'm sure about that!)?

amonar19
Unregistered guest
Dear Jan
THanks. But do redbookd CD tracks exist on a dvd-a disk (and it was the right side - I'm sure about that!)?

Rantz
Unregistered guest
There is no redbook cd layer on a dvd-a disc. You may have heard either a DD or DTS version of the soundtrack. Apart from a 2 and/or multichannel high resolution soundtrack on the disc, the packaging should inform you of the alternative sound options as should the disc menu. Some DVD-A's are packaged with a separate redbook cd as a bonus.

Hybrid SACD's have a redbook or (enhanced) cd layer.

DualDisc have either hi resolution multi or two channel soundtracks and/or DD or DTS soundtracks (with some video content). A redbook cd version is on the flip side.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us