Problem with Amplifier Blowing Fuses

Username: Brookdeluxe

Post Number: 1
Hi all,

New member from the UK here, with a technical problem!

I've just bought a Cambridge Audio A5 amp, a Marantz CD5400, and a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s. The amp was fine when connected to the mains in isolation but as soon as the CD player and speakers were connected up and the units switched on, two 4 amp fuses in the Cambridge amp blew.

I returned the amp to Richer Sounds and was given a replacement, but the same result ensued with this new amp!

The speakers were bi-wired.

Any suggestions - is it possible that a mistake with the bi-wiring could cause this? Is the A5 incompatible with the Diamonds, or is there some issue with the output from the Marantz CD player?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Brookdeluxe

bear paws
Unregistered guest
Robert,
Can't believe nobody got back to you.If for no other reason than to aknowledge your post, i'm sure you found the bugger by now. If not, seperate the CD from the amp jacks. Plug both into "mains" and then test for potential between cd and amp. any voltmeter set to around 100v range or a neon circut tester [real cheap tool but very usefull]. You may find chassis ground polarity reversed at CD or even at the mains socket [power point]. If your pluged into diferrant outlets [points] one may be misswired. I.E. the wider blade should be nutral always. Bi-wire maybe if the polarities are reversed . Inompatibily problems are so vary rare in consumer electronics. CD output is CD output leval in consumer stuff.
Are you from the UK or in the UK? Adjust voltage range accordingly!!Do you guys have one ground ,one nuetral, one hot, on the power points?

Username: Brookdeluxe

Post Number: 2
Hi Bear Paws,

Thanks very much for replying, it's much appreciated!

We've actually now found out the cause of the problem, though - it turns out the Wharfedale speakers were faulty, after all that! Indeed, despite Superfi initially telling us that this was unlikely, we eventually tried rigging the units up with another pair of speakers and hey presto - the stereo worked all of a sudden!

So we took the speakers back to Superfi, who subsequently tested them and proved what we already knew: that they were defective!

So once again, thanks for your kind advice, albeit no longer needed now. Oh well - at least we've solved the problem now, anyway!

Many thanks,

Robert
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us