HD set up with VCR

Username: Wtf_over__over

Post Number: 2
Please end 3 weeks of frustation for me! I have an HDTV. HD Comcast Cable Box (Motorola). DVD Player. VCR. Yamaha Home Theater system that will not up-convert from composite to component. To maintain the HD, I've routed: wall cable to HD Cable Box (coaxial), HD Cable Box to Yamaha receiver (component video & audio), DVD to Yamaha receiver (component video & audio), Yamaha receiver to HDTV (component video only). This works so far. But to add the VCR, I've routed: Yamaha receiver out to VCR (composite), VCR out back to Yamaha receiver (composite). I get sound but no picture because I was told by a tech that the component and composite can't "talk" to each other. I then added: Yamaha "monitor out" to HDTV video 1 (composite video (yellow) only). Still no picture. I pulled every component cable out of the Yamaha receiver and still no picture. I've changed TV to Component 1 & Video 1 and I've changed Yamaha receiver to Cable TV and VCR. Nothing is working. Is it possible to make this set up work??? Other connections that don't seem to be an issue: wall cable through splitter to HDTV (coaxial) to allow Picture-in-Picture, Digital Optical lines from HD Cable Box and DVD to Yamaha receiver. Thanks for any help!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5973

I would take the low resolution signal (composite) coming out of the cable box and send the composite out of the cable box to the VCR directly. Then route the VCR to the receiver. Unless you want to copy CD's or other anolog sources to the VCR, this should give you the signal you require.

Bronze Member
Username: Thunder18

Post Number: 34
Or, just send the coax from the cable box to the VCR. Then you get sound a video on one cable to the VCR.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5989

Of course, that isn't the best hook up if you have premium channels that need to be decoded. I assume cable still does that.

Bronze Member
Username: Thunder18

Post Number: 35
Cable coax out to VCR coax in. VCR coax out to TV coax in. VCR on channel 3 and the decoding is still done by the cable box.

Post Number: 3
Thank you all. The problem with the suggestions is that my cable box only has one full set of component outputs and then one composite (yellow) video output. No other audio outputs. I can run that video composite to VCR but not sound. If I want to record with the VCR, I guess I'll have to use coaxial. I may just give up on recording, as I have a built in DVR on the Cable box. I gave up on my stand alone TIVO because it is not HD capable and the cable boxes ALL have only one set of outputs.

Will I be able to record TV and playback the VCR if I run: Cable Box to VCR (coaxial), VCR out to Yamaha receiver (composite), Yamaha receiver to HDTV (composite video only)?

THANKS AGAIN!

Post Number: 4
...and the fact that coaxial on the 65" screen looks AWFUL!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5992

That hook up should allow recording and playback.

Post Number: 5
Thanks, that will have to do. Now to put that entertainment center back together....

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 698
I'm not even sure if composite (yellow) is better or worse than the cable run itself.

Cable Box -> VCR -> TV is the best route so you never accidentally watch HD cable in SD.

Investing in a DVD recorder is the best advice of course.

Post Number: 6
Right.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6001

No HD-DVD recorders, yet. Buy now. Throw away later.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us